alerts - import/export & editing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alerts - import/export & editing

Is there anyway to edit alerts through a text file; or is there another way to import and export all alerts?
    Thanks.

Hi,

Doesn't appear that the Alert file is a text file but you can copy the entire file to another PC or directory. Alerts are associated with each layout so the file name will match the layout name. Check out KB article 1530 for more information.

Thanks.

Comment

Hi Chud,

The alerts can not be viewed or edited via a text file. Your alert file will be located in the same folder as you layout/page. All alert files have an extension of .AT and are named the same as the page or layout. (Example a Futures Page is Futures.pg, the alert file would be Futures.AT). A Futures Layout would be Futures.Lay and the alert being Futures.AT. Page files and the alerts are in the following directory
      C:\Program Files\eSignal\Pages, and the Layouts are located in C:\Program Files\eSignal.

To move your alerts from one Page/Layout to another is not really importing or exporting what we are going to do is make a copy of the Alert file and rename it to associate with other pages/layouts.

Here are the steps you would use to do this remembering I’m using a page in the example.

1 Once I’ve created a page wth the Alerts and save it as Page1
      I go to C:\Program Files\eSignal\Pages\Page1.AT
      Right Click on the file and select Copy
      Copy the file to the same folder. You’ll get the name Copy of Page1.AT
      Right click and go to Rename
      Rename the file Page2.AT
      Now go back into the eSignal applications and create a page called Page2. This will automatically associate the previously created AT file to the newly created Page file and all the alerts.
      The same procedure for Layouts except to where the layouts are stored.

I hope this helps

AveryH
      eSignal Support

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

The ability to edit alerts as a text file would be helpful - maybe it could be an option in the future?

If not available as text files, it would be nice to have the option to add a new alert for a new symbol in the alert edit box. Currently, it seems like I have to select a stock on a watchlist or chart and edit it from there. If I have a list of stocks and alerts I want to input, there doesn't seem to be a fast efficient way to do it right now. Maybe I'm overlooking something?

Comment

Hi Chud,
          This is a great idea and you can put the request in with the eSignal Developers at ideas.

As to the second part of your request, you can add alerts from the Alert Edit/Status window. Main Icon toolbar there is a yellow bell (Circled in Red) this brings up the Alert Edit/Status window, Select what you want to do the alert on (I.e. Last Trade Price) and click ADD This bring up the Add Alert window. In this window you can add any symbol you want and set the price. Repeat as needed to get all your alerts added. Below Please see that attachment for better illustration.

This allow you to add alert for on different symbols as well as let you choose what the alert will be on.

AveryH
          eSignal Support
          Last edited by eSignal_AveryH; 12-04-2006, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Thanks AveryH,

I had somehow overlooked that Add button. Must be time to get my eyes checked again.

Comment

editing alert files

i was wondering if esignal had followed up on this request to be able to edit the alert files (.at files)?
              this is a real hassle for me, as i am a big user of excel, and maintain money management, PL, equity info etc in excel, and it would be fantastic if i could set my alerts there and then import them into esignal....presently i am double handling things, and i watch about 100 stocks actively.
              thanks.

Comment

Hi Dug,

We passed the suggestion along to Product Development last week when initially suggested. A change like this will need to be reviewed and then added to the list for an upcoming release. Could take a few months or longer, depending on the complexity, the demand, other suggestions, etc.

We appreciate the extra input though. Understanding why a new feature is needed always helps in the evaluation process.

Thanks.

Comment

I suggested this back in '04' and thought using a 'txt.' file alert would be the easiest adaption for users and Esignal's programmers.

Example:

PHP Code:

XYZ 
                  if Last 100.00 then ding.wav
                  XYZ 
                  if Last >= 99.00 then beep
                  XYZ 
                  if Last <= 98.00 then ring 
                  Something like this would allow Esignal or other users to create a web page using javascript allowing users to build multiple alerts fairly easily and quickly.

Just my suggestion
                  Excellent book on JavaScript for beginners

Comment

Thanks FibGann.

I'll shoot the suggestion over again, just in case

FYI: Suggestions can also be emailed directly to Product Development.

Thanks.

Comment

sorry to sound like i wanted something done immediately.
                      i mixed the dates up, usually we use day/month/year. so i thought this was an old post.
                      Regardless, i am a heavy user of information and i find that the best systems are ones where you can easily cut and paste or link programs, especially through excel.
                      Most big firms seem to run everything through this and it would be fantastic if via using text files or similar, that info could be placed into and got out of esignal easily and quickly.
                      eg; dividends, comments, AGM reporting dates,
                      when you update a lot of stocks it takes way toooooo much time unless you can cut and paste and link.
                      but thanks anyway, i'll wait and keep plugging away.

Comment

Working...
                      X