eSignal speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eSignal speed

I am running into troubles with heavy CPU usage. I have 3 tick charts open, as well as 10 other 5min charts, and am running this on a computer that is dedicated to only running eSignal. What happens is when my 5min charts turn over to form the next bar, I see a noticeable time lag vs the tick charts. This lag lasts from a few seconds to as long as 20sec.
    To help speed things up, I have cut down on the number of indicators I use and made as many of them "compute on close" as possible, to lessen the CPU burden.
    Aside from closing more chart windows, are there any services or features of eSignal that can be turned off to allow it to do its job w/out being so CPU hungry?
    Any smart coding suggestions would be appreciated, too.

Also, eSignal with all the user EFS scripts running, being Java based, is an "interpreted language", am I wrong? If it is continuously interpreted, could users "compile" it and, thus, have eSignal run much faster?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Hello f1sh7,

In terms of EFS and improving formula efficiency, we would need to look at the specific code logic on a case-by-case basis. Feel free to post some of your code to the EFS Studies forum and we'd be happy to take a look at it.

EFS is an extended version of JavaScript, which is an interpreted language. However, it is only interpreted once when the formula is first initialized. It is not interpreted upon each execution of the formula.
    Jason K.
    Project Manager
    eSignal - an Interactive Data company

EFS KnowledgeBase
    JavaScript for EFS Video Series
    EFS Beginner Tutorial Series
    EFS Glossary
    Custom EFS Development Policy

New User Orientation

Comment

Hi, I am experiencing a similar problem, winsig.exe has started using unusually high cpu frequently spiking to 99% coupled with a RAM usage of 144 meg acording to Task manager, this is causing the program to be sluggish, and lag the market.

I currently run 6 candle charts with minimal indicators, 3 moving avge 20, 50, and 200 simple
      8 line charts at 1min intervals and a quote windo with a dozen symbols mainly indices.

My system is XP sp2 AMD Athlon 64 2800 processor
      1024 MB of RAM
      Apart fro a couple of security apps the PC is running nothing but eSignal

Any suggestions would be appreciated
      Hope for the best.....Plan for the worst!

Comment

dhunniford,

Don't know what to say... but, I agree w/you that your system/setup should be fine and not lag.

I overclocked my system and went to XPpro (I was on Win2kPro on my charts computer) and both seemed to help (a little). I also stripped off a few other indicators that I felt I did not really need to do my daytrading -- the less you have your computer doing, the better.

Just seems to be a (fairly low) limit to what causes eSignal to chug.

JOHN

Comment

Hi John, thanx for the reply, this system is more than capable of running this software. I seem to have solved my pronlem, hopefully, built a new page, a copy of the old one but everything new, had been running the old one for about 12 months now, fired it up and monitored cpu during the afternoon session no more cpu spikes this afternoon. CPU usage back in the single digits with an occaisional spike to maybe 15%.
          Seems to be keeping pace with the market. \though I have been having an ongoing prob with eSignal losing feed late in the day.
          Time to weigh up alternate provders I think
          Hope for the best.....Plan for the worst!

Comment

Working...
          X