This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Email alert doesn't work here

I can not get eSignal to send me an Email alert when an alert is triggered. Sound an popup work fine, but no email.

I have entered valid emailaddresses for 'to' and 'from' and I have entered the smtp-server which I use every time to send out emails.

For some reason, eSignal doesn't seem to try to access this smtp-server. When I setup my firewall to ask for permission every time eSignal (winsig.exe) is trying to access the web, it doesn't show me anything (in comparison when I open a browser window within eSignal, it does).

I have tried different smtp-servers (I have access to two of them). I have tried an older version of eSignal. Nothing works, no errors, no nothing (also I can not see any data going out at the time of an alert, although this is difficult to see because it is just a small amount of data).

Live rep employees and Technical Telephone support have tried to tell me that the smtp host (this is the title in eSignal Email Alert settings), is something different than a smtp server. I think this is not true, but I have made a phonecall to my ISP anyway. They have no clue what I am talking about if I ask for the smtp host (versus smtp server).

Also these people tell me that Outlook is used to send out the email alerts. I have Outlook, but I can't find anything there (shouldn't they be in the outbox or something)? I can hardly believe that eSignal would use an email client, versus just sending itself via the smtp server.
    Any comment on this?

Has this problem been reported before? What can I do about it?

Please help!!

Thx,

Edo.

EdKoF,

I dealt with a customer last month having the exact same issue. If I recall correctly, it turns out that the ISP they were using didn't allow e-mails to be sent via smtp. The program was sending it but the ISP was ignoring it.

The customer knew another eSignal user who was having no problems doing the email alerts. He simply borrowed his SMTP settings and mirrowed the other user's set-up. Sure enough, the email was sent just fine. He then changed to another ISP for his e-mail.

We can't give our our in-house settings to test ( firewall and security issues ) so do you have a friend who uses eSignal email alerts successfully?

I'll try to dig-up the details on that other customer but I'm not sure I kept the e-mails.

Thanks,

Comment

Re: Reply to post 'Email alert doesn't work here'

Edo, Scott
      I was the "other user' who lent out the server settings. Edo is welcome to
      contact me via p-mail.
      However, before Edo tries using another ISP's mail server it might be
      worthwhile to make sure that the alert is set up correctly.
      There are actually two checkboxes that need to be switched on for the email
      alerts to be generated. One is at the main Alerts window (which is also
      where he sets up the Server Settings) and the other one is on the dialog box
      for the specific alert.
      Alex

> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      >

Comment

Scott,

Alex has been so generous as to share his smtp-server settings with me. They don't work here either....

To get back to the remark from my first posting: on my system, eSignal doesn't try to access the internet when an alert occurs. I can see this via my Firewall.

Do you have more ideas how this might be solved, or investigated?
        Is there a way how I can check the action of eSignal? Some kind of log file or monitor application?

Thx,

Edo.

Comment

I think I am also seeing the same thing. Both check boxes are filled in for sending email alerts, but it doesn't seem to send. I tried two ISP's also (one I didn't think would work - they check to make sure that the smpt connection is from their donmain, and if not reject it, the other is silly and doesn't make this check).

The sounds and pop-up work fine however.
          Garth

Comment

Edo and Garth,

Please check your emails today as I've sent instructions on how to capture an eSignal log file.

Thanks,

Comment

FOUND IT!! Norton Antivirus (2002) did it

With the help from Scott it was decided it was an internal problem.

So I decided to boot Windows XP with al Startup Items disabled (via MSCONFIG.exe) Email alerts then worked.

The logical next step was: turn all Startup Items back on again, except Norton Virusscanner (2002). Not the first time this baby gives me problems with all sorts of things. Email alerts then worked!

If you have this problem, just turn off 'scan outgoing mail' at Norton's options, and no more problems with email alerts.

Thanks to Scott and Alex for the help, and Garth for joining the issue. Hope this works for Garth too.

Edo.

Comment

Email Alerts

Having similar problems. From/To/SMTP Server settings are identical to my Outlook Express. No antivirus software running. Same result on computers behind a firewall and unprotected. Is there a way to capture what's being sent to the smtp server? Otherwise the ISP is going to say that they don't support 3rd party products, especially since my Outlook Express works.
                I have tried it with eSignal 7.02 and with eSignal 7.1.
                Please, help.
                Thanks
                Bogdan.

Comment

Re: Reply to post 'Email alert doesn't work here'

Bogdan
                  I imagine you have looked at this thread, but just to make sure have you
                  checked the email alert checkbox also in the specific alert window? There
                  are two email checkboxes that need to be marked.
                  Alex

Comment

email alerts

We've documented a few of the problems others have encountered when these alerts have not been successful, inlcuding Edo's from this thread.

http://www.esignalcentral.com/suppor...erts_email.asp

Thanks,

Comment

Working...
                    X