Volume Bars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volume Bars

I have a question concerning volume bars because I am seeing different results (charts) when running live compared to end of day.

Does the current esignal version display true volume bars when live? So for example if I am using 5000v and the current bar has 4999 contracts and the next trade is for 100 contracts, is 1 added to the current bar and 99 added to the new bar?

Thanks

notoad

So for example if I am using 5000v and the current bar has 4999 contracts and the next trade is for 100 contracts, is 1 added to the current bar and 99 added to the new bar?
    To my knowledge that is how it works. You may want to refer to this article in the eSignal KnowledgeBase for more information on tick based charts
    Alex

Comment

Alex is right on. We are building "true volume bars" where we build to exactly the amount specified, then start a new bar. This wasn't always the case but we switched the method about a year and a half ago.

If you're not seeing that on your screen, please post screen shots.

Thanks.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I will go back a few days and highlight a few things I saw.

I thought I once read where this could actually be trades coming thru that were really cancelled which would explain why the end of day chart / indicators may look slightly different. Any truth to that?

Thanks again for your quick reply.

Comment

It's possible that cancelled trades could impact a real-time chart vs one built two hours later but not very common. If you find something that does not make sense, just post screenshots and we'll take a look.

Thx

Comment

Maybe this particular example is not caused by different volume bars from real time compared to end of day or a chart refresh but can you explain why the study calculates differently in real time?

Thanks
            Attached Files

Comment

Based on those pics, not a chance

We'll need the symbol, time frames, application being used, whether time templates are the same for both, etc. It's also much easier to look at the underlying data in a tabular format than just a chart.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
              X