Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Performance of eSignal 10.0?

Hi,

It looks like Esignal 10 is a bit slow compare to version 8.0. Are more people having this problem?

regards,

The code is a bit larger with 10.0 plus you'll be getting additional field types (like VWAP for ex) so that's why we increased system requirements with 10.0.

Looking ahead, we plan to rework the code to be multi-threaded, work under a 64 bit operating system and take more advantage of improved processing capabilities. With data rates continuing to climb by 100% a year, we realize we must make the desktop faster. Look for these improvements in 08.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottJ
      The code is a bit larger with 10.0 plus you'll be getting additional field types (like VWAP for ex) so that's why we increased system requirements with 10.0.

Looking ahead, we plan to rework the code to be multi-threaded, work under a 64 bit operating system and take more advantage of improved processing capabilities. With data rates continuing to climb by 100% a year, we realize we must make the desktop faster. Look for these improvements in 08.

Thanks.
      Thanks for the fast reply...

My computer is not that old and meets the criteria for Esgnal10. But still it is to slow for me, so ill wait for a new version. Is there still a download link for esignal 8?

Comment

I've been using 10.0 for close to two months and I haven't seen any slowness over the previous versions. We have had a few people see some performance reduction but most of those lessened as new beta versions were released (we spent a good deal of time optimizing the code in the latter stages of the beta).

In most cases, there are some simple changes that can be made that could help performance quite a bit. This KB article outlines most of them.

If you still would prefer to roll-back to 8.0, here's a link to the install file for 8.0.

Thanks.

Comment

Still not fully compatible with Vista (having to continue using Vista in Classic theme). Wasn't this supposed to be in this upgrade?

Comment

We did not have plans to support Vista with this initial 10.0 release but we will do so in one of the next couple releases. We definitely understand we need to fully support Vista.

Thx

Comment

I have a new DELL 1720 Laptop with Vista.
              (1) Tried calling for help 2 different times.....They could not even
              connect to my computer.
              (2) Lucky for me I finally went to my Desk top and copied every
              thing there from "Preferrences" to my new laptop

(3) IT WORKED FINE !!!!

(4) You have to talk or do some thing to bring your tech support
              up to date.
              Larry Dudash
              HAL at
              http://share.esignal.com/groupconten...r=&groupid=549

Comment

We did not have plans to support Vista with this initial 10.0 release but we will do so in one of the next couple releases. We definitely understand we need to fully support Vista.

Thx
                why didn't they mention this before we downloaded and installed the new version. when will a fix for vista become available? what should i do now.

Comment

In general, we try to list compatible operating systems in our System Requirements. We will not add Vista until we feel compatibility matches our standards.

When you say "what should I do now", I'm not sure I understand. Earlier versions of our apps did not fully support Vista and neither does 10.0. How can we assist you further?

Thanks.

Comment

In general, we try to list compatible operating systems in our System Requirements. We will not add Vista until we feel compatibility matches our standards.

When you say "what should I do now", I'm not sure I understand. Earlier versions of our apps did not fully support Vista and neither does 10.0. How can we assist you further?

Thanks.
                    come to think of it, you are right. version 8.0 didn't work right either but it didn't really matter since i basically used advanced get for my charting. my only question now is how long do you think it will take before a vista compatible version is available so i can try the new version of esignal with the type 1 and 2 trades in the dashboard.

Comment

Gotcha. I can't say for sure when Vista will be fully supported at this stage but I'd expect early-mid 2008.

Thanks.

Comment

Am I right to say that currently eSignal is not multi-threaded and thus only makes use of one core on my Core 2 duo? If that's the case... would modifying "processor affinity" in taskmanager help in anyway?

Comment

Hi Anson,
                          You are correct in assuming eSignal is not a multi-threaded application and will not take full advantage of the Core 2 Duo. We are however developing and testing version which will be taking advantage of this in a future release.

If I’m not mistaken eSignal is one of the few applications which will internally select the processor it use when the applications launches. The only ground I think you would gain by using the Processor Affinity would be if you put eSignal on processor zero your other high CPU usage applications on the other. But if eSignal is the only high CPU usage app it wouldn’t make much of a difference.

AveryH
                          eSignal Support

Comment

Thanks ahodgee. I will try to monitor the core loads and see if they can be better managed soon.

Comment

Anson,
                              Glad I could help.

AveryH
                              eSignal Support

Comment

Working...
                              X