The cursor and dragging the chart now lags in eSignal 10.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The cursor and dragging the chart now lags in eSignal 10.0

I just installed eSignal 10.0 and now the cursor lags and dragging the chart lags. I use the crosshair cursor in eSignal and in eSignal 10.0 the Windows cursor leads and the crosshair lags behind, and with a low refresh rate so it is a chopping-motion lagging behind. Clicking and holding the mouse on the chart in eSignal 10.0 and making a circular motion produces a slide show effect. This was on one day of YM #F on a 140T chart with minimal EFS studies loaded, not a heavy load.

In eSignal 8.0, however, which I reinstalled alongside eSignal 10.0 and loaded the same chart and same data as that of an also-running instance of eSignal 10.0, the crosshair lag in eSignal 8.0 is zero, and clicking and holding the chart and doing a circle motion produces zero slowdown.

I am not impressed. Did the eSignal programmers honestly manage to get through programming all of eSignal 10.0 and not once notice that the cursor lags and that dragging the chart produces a slide show? I can't believe that, as a programmer myself. This is so typical of modern software. It's just more bloat and more bloat and more bloat. Computational demands increase, yes, but so have our computers. eSignal 10.0 multi-threaded? Nope. Multi-core support? Nope. Vista support? Nope. 64-bit support? Nope. Just a nice laggy cursor and a slide show. Thanks.

I shall be uninstalling eSignal 10.0 and sticking with 8.0 until 10.1, when this embarrassment will I assume be patched. eSignal 8.0 may be downloaded here http://www.esignal.com/executables/esignal_80r1.exe

I haven't noticed any choppiness in 10.0 but every system could be a little different. Although 10.0 was tested for months, there were some significant changes made to the core code and users have found a few problems we did not see during our QA testing. I'll make sure our Product Manager sees your comments here.

Thanks.

Comment

I also have the choppiness when dragging the chart. With 8.0
      draggiing the chart is like skating on ice. Not so with 10.0 even
      with no studies, trendlines etc. loaded.

Comment

Originally posted by jay60
        I also have the choppiness when dragging the chart. With 8.0
        draggiing the chart is like skating on ice. Not so with 10.0 even
        with no studies, trendlines etc. loaded.
        Hi,

im also having this choppiness problem in Esignal 10.0.
        In Version 8.0 there was no problem.

Comment

Hi Sabastian and Jay60,
          I've been running the eSignal for several weeks on several machines and have not yet seen the choppiness. I don't discount this could be happening and it could vary from machine to machine or even could be layout/page related. As previously mentioned I'll continue to report what you posting to the Developers and Product Managers.

AveryH
          eSignal Support.

Comment

I did some more testing as well and I think what we're talking about could be called "trailing" cursor or something similiar where the cross hairs seperate ever so slightly as you move it. In 8.0, they stayed in sync better. We have forwarded to Product Development to see what was changed in the code to lose that sync a bit.

Avery, it's pretty subtle so stop by and I'll show you.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottJ
              I did some more testing as well and I think what we're talking about could be called "trailing" cursor or something similiar where the cross hairs seperate ever so slightly as you move it. In 8.0, they stayed in sync better. We have forwarded to Product Development to see what was changed in the code to lose that sync a bit.

Avery, it's pretty subtle so stop by and I'll show you.

Thanks.

>Scott
              Much moreso than with the crosshairs, the problem is very
              obvious at my end when dragging the chart pane. If you
              would plot hundreds of trendlines on a chart in 8.0 and then
              drag it around, you would see what is happening with a chart
              in 10.0 that has nothing other than the price bars.
              Sort of like the difference between using an optical mouse
              and a ball mouse that has a golf ball in it.

Hope this helps.
              Last edited by jay60; 09-25-2007, 08:35 PM.

Comment

I just installed 10, have been running 8 for a long time.

And yes, I noticed a significant lag in dragging a chart around. It seems like the chart update interval is no where near as often as in v8. this is irritating, makes me think software is slower..we'll see..

would be nice to have fixed...

I saw this happen a few years back on a rc version, but went away in release version think it was 6 or 7

Comment

Same problem here with eSignal 10. Cursor lags and charts lag too. Downgraded back to eSignal 8 for now.

Comment

Originally posted by sculptor66
                    Same problem here with eSignal 10. Cursor lags and charts lag too. Downgraded back to eSignal 8 for now.
                    Same problem here, it's really annoying when it doesn't go that smooth as in Esignal 8. Downgraded also from version 10 to 8.

Comment

Working...
                    X