entering a numeric symbol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• entering a numeric symbol

i understand that if i want to change the chart's interval 'directly', i can press "," before entering specific interval. and by pressing ",", chart window would not mistake me as entering a new symbol.

but when i enter a numeric symbol (like, asian symbols are using numbers only & esignal symbol syntex often put the numeric symbol before the exchange code), chart window often mistake me as entering a new interval.

is there anyone who knows how to avoid the chart window mistakes user as entering a interval when entering a asian (numeric) symbol?

thanks.

Hi DietCoke2000

This is a dilemma and yes it has caught me off guard a couple of times as well. There are a couple of options you can try.

1- Symbol list dropdown box on the toolbar can be linked to a chart and when you enter the symbol it will also enter into the chart. Here's an on article the symbol list box.

2- Have a Detail window linked to a chart and instead of entering your symbol into the chart enter it into the Detail window which will automatically enter it into the chart,

If you have several preset symbols that you look at on normal bases, you can create a quote window and link it to chart and when you click on a particular symbol it would push that symbol to the chart for you to look at.

Here's an excellent article on the symbol linking,

Thanks for the post and I hope it helps.

AveryH
    eSignal Support

Comment

>dietcoke2000

What I do is if I want to change the symbol on, for example,
      a 5 minute chart, I just press 5 and the change symbol
      box opens. Then I highlight just the numerical part of
      the symbol and enter the new code. This way you don't
      have to reenter the exchange code. Or you can press 5
      and then Tabx4.

Comment

>dietcoke2000

Come to think of it, it would be nice if in the Change Symbol
        box the Symbol line could be divided into two boxes. One
        for the Root code, and one for the Exchange code which would
        remain printed until changed to avoid reentering it each time
        the Root code changed.

Comment

Jay60
          eSignal is always trying to improve on its product. I'll forward this suggestion of to our Developers for considersation. Should you come up with more ideas for the application please email them to idea.

AveryH
          eSignal Support

Comment

thank all of you for all of your suggestions. in addition to all your great ideas here, i would like to add,

1, in my view, this is whats happening now when trying to change interval,
            1.1, enter '1', 'change symbol' window appears with '1' at the 'interval' text box, user presses 'enter' to refresh chart with new interval.
            1.2, enter 'd', 'change symbol' window appears with 'd' at the 'symbol' text box, user has to retype the symbol and tab to 'interval' text box to enter 'd' to change the chart interval. same to 't', 'm' & 'w'.
            1.3, press comma, ',', to open 'change symbol' window with cursor flashing at the 'interval' text box, then user enter a number or a letter whichever represent the new interval, then press 'enter'.

2, the new way,
            2.1, no matter, user enter a number or a letter, 'change symbol' window opens with cursor flashing at the 'symbol' text box, then user enter the desired symbol.
            2.2, to 'just/only' change the interval, must press comma, ',' to open 'change symbol' window to type the new interval, in order to change the interval. same to all intraday interval number and all historical interval letters.
            2.3, for minute intraday interval, user just type the number and hit 'enter'. for tick, daily, weekly, monthly interval, user to first type the number then the type of non-minute-intraday interval. like 1, 5, 15, 60, 120 + 'enter' for minute-intraday interval. and like 1d, 2d, 2w, 6w, 2m, 3m, 5t, 10t, 50t + 'enter' to non-minute-intraday interval. its true that esignal do not allow multi-day(or week/month) interval, even i enter 780min for 2day chart, but it will not work when time template is not set to excatly 9:30-16:00. beside, different symbols may have different amount of data from pre&/post market.

3, allowing esignal to recogize the symbol no matter user enter the exchange code before or after the alpha/numberic symbol, no need to change the current data symbol in the data server, the current original symbol remains unchange and will always be the original/primary (the only recogized) symbol to be sent to the server to retrieve the data, and all alternative format will only be a shortcut/link in esignal to send the original symbol to retrieve the data, like,
            3.1, to bring up "$hsi.x-hkg", user can type the original symbol or "hkg-$hsi.x" or "hkg:$hsi.x"
            3.2, to bring up "aud a0-fx", user can type the original symbol or "fx-aud a0" or "fx:aud a0"
            3.3, to bring up "$ni225-nki", user can type the original symbol or "nki-$ni225" or "nki:$ni225"
            3.4, to bring up "$ukx-ftse", user can type the original symbol or "ftse-$ukx" or "ftse:$ukx"
            3.5, to bring up "vod-lon", user can type the original symbol or "lon-vod" or "lon:vod"

4, the 'tough way', they should consider changing the symbol's format to force all symbols to begin by their exchange code. then the numeric symbol thing wont' happen again. and i think the format change will not likely to happen.

and i hope all these will help.
            Last edited by dietcoke2000; 09-21-2007, 09:07 AM.

Comment

as for 2.2, in esignal efs function parameter, like sym(), symbol & interval are used together, like "sym("IBM,D"). if you can spot the comma, ",", then this is why user may press comma, "," to bring up 'change symbol' window to enter a new interval directly without touching the symbol, no matter it is a number or a letter interval.

Comment

Hi Dietcoke2000,
                Please see this article in the eSignal Knowledge Base about the advanced charting, the first section discusses changing the symbol as well as and the many different way to change the interval.

We also have a dedicate video created for new users on the Advanced Charting along with several other videos on the different aspects of eSignal. I think the article and the videod str very informative and helpful, we hope you find them the same.

AveryH
                eSignal Support

Comment

Working...
                X