Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2 Days in a row charts running auto trading strategies charts not updating prices.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Days in a row charts running auto trading strategies charts not updating prices.

Hi,

I'm running automated trading strategies using IB and yesterday and today stopped receiving real time data updates around 16:00. I've used eSignal for 5 years and never experienced this problem.

I am using a 24 hour template with 00:00 and 00:00 for the start and end times.

Unfortunately I did not notice it on several symbols and ended up with several loosing positions.

My attempt to refresh the data, with a CTRL+click on the Ok in the cursor window did not refresh the data. Changing ths time template does refresh the data, after refreshing to the most current bar still does not update realtime pricec.

I had to either restart esignal to get price updates.

Here is a chart image, it's 8:00pm est and the last bar on this 30 minute chart is 4:30pm.

Has there been any server changes this week and does anyone have any idea how to correct this problem as it was a trading disaster for me yesterday being on the wrong side of several trades.

Thank You,

Glen
    Attached Files
    Last edited by demarcog; 11-27-2007, 05:31 PM.
    Glen Demarco
    [email protected]

Charts not being updated 3rd day in a row.

Hello,

Is this something that should be directed directly to tech support?

The problem occured again tonight I got no price updates from 18:30 to 20:30 and had to reboot to get price updates in my FOREX charts.

This is the third day in a row of course the price changes I miss in positions like most trading errors seem to cause losses and would appreciate someone letting me know how I should preceed.

After using eSignal for years never had a problem requiring tech support not sure how to proceed.

Thanks,

Glen
    Glen Demarco
    [email protected]

Comment

Hey Glen,
      We're in the process of testing the feeds to see if this is server related, once we have a more definative answer I'll post back.
      AveryH
      eSignal Support.

Comment

Originally posted by ahodgee
        Hey Glen,
        We're in the process of testing the feeds to see if this is server related, once we have a more definative answer I'll post back.
        AveryH
        eSignal Support.
        Averyh,

I just happened again, I had not received a quote in 90 minutes.

Of course it couldn't have occurred at a worse time yet again for trading FX, AUD in this case. Imagine being long at one price in the S&P at 10:00 am and not getting other quote until 11:30 am many points lower.

This is the the fourth day in a row now and you researching if it's server related.

This is my first automated system for my first client and they just closed the account as the losses during those outages were too much for them and are they are now convinced eSignal isn't capable of automatied trading. and this week they are right!

eSignal also crashed several times a day, the system had to be rebooted after when right clicking in a chart to remove a formula, the options were not available and "crash" as has been described my myself and others and after sending dozens or "crash" reports.
        Glen Demarco
        [email protected]

Comment

Glen,
          We were able to duplicate your connections on machines here and just using the symbols on your example chart we experience no packet lost or connection from the servers. We also checked for packet lost for your usernames and I’m happy to report you received 100% of your packets.

You are welcome to contact me directly and we can discuss in detail what I saw as far as the status of your connections to our servers. From our vantage point this could be a problem with your automated trading program. We will be more then happy to work with the developer to try to identify and workout any conflicts that may come up.

Comment

Glen,
            We were able to duplicate your connections on machines here and just using the symbols on your example chart we experience no packet lost or connection from the servers. We also checked for packet lost for your usernames and I’m happy to report you received 100% of your packets.

You are welcome to contact me directly and we can discuss in detail what I saw as far as the status of your connections to our servers. From our vantage point this could be a problem with your automated trading program. We will be more then happy to work with the developer to try to identify and workout any conflicts that may come up.
            Hi Avery,

I appreciate you taking the time and effort to research this and your offer of assistance. The test you ran was useful and thanks for the information .

Unfortunately the only way to know for certain what data at the time was recieved by my pc is to attach a data scope to my network adapter.

Yes it could be the efs but I have to say I've been using eSignal for 5 years and never had a single data outage. Now three days in a row at exactly the same time to the minute the data stops coming in? Just seems so much more like to be server related. I'm also connected with IB which could possible be effecting eSignal.

Why I say it seems likely to be a server is that eSignal itself was fine, I could change symbols, run back tests, load and unload indicators. But no data, like the market was closed, a CTRL OK didn't refresh the data. Only rebooting did. An EFS problem is not outside the realm of possibility but it ran all week without incident, except during these time periods, and a reboot fixed it each time.

I hope you are right, I don't want there to be a server problem, and not looking to point fingers or "win" the debate. Just don't want to see it happen to anyone else. You just may want to ask them to be aware around the same time period.

Thanks again,

Glen
            Last edited by demarcog; 12-01-2007, 02:00 AM.
            Glen Demarco
            [email protected]

Comment

Charts not being update with real time prices

Hello,

The problem occurred again tonight at 3:00 am, where charts had not recieved a real time update in 3 hours.

Very similiar pattern, this time at exactly midnight, a ctrl + OK did not refresh the data, but changing the time template did update the data to the current point but no price updates were recieved until eSignal was restarted.

Don't think it was strategy related this time, as no strategy or study of any kind is loaded.

The first screen shot takes place at 3:00 am the last bar is at 12:00 midnight, then next screen shot is a few seconds later after a time template change.

Thanks Glen
              Attached Files
              Glen Demarco
              [email protected]

Comment

Chart not being Updated from 12:00 midnight to 3:00 am

Here is the screen image a few seconds after a time template change as a ctlr+OK did not refresh the data and eSignal had to be restarted this is happening on a regular basis if anyone has any suggestions it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Glen
                Attached Files
                Glen Demarco
                [email protected]

Comment

No FOREX price data after 17:00 third day in a row.

Hello,

After running all day, without incident for the 3rd day in a row at exactly 17:00 no price update are bieng recieved for all FOREX charts.

In the screen image you will see that last price bars are received at precisely 17:00 pm EST and it's now 7:03 pm...for the 6 major FOREX pairs.

In this case I was trying a individual subscriber in trying to avoiid the problem. EUR@FXCM A0-FX.

The suggestion that my EFS was possibly causing this problem , although not impossible I can't imagine how an EFS which only gets executed when data is recieved could posibly halt price data and at exactly the same time each day?

It may make sense for all involved to acknowledge that perhaps this is server related?

Thanks,

Glen
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by demarcog; 12-04-2007, 04:26 PM.
                  Glen Demarco
                  [email protected]

Comment

Glen
                    We have all hand investigating why this is happening; we appreciate your patience as we continue to troubleshoot this.

We did experience some problems with the individual contributors earlier this morning but have since resolved those issues. I'm working closing with the QA and Data Department to get this resolved as quickly as possible. I'll keep you informed as to what we fine.

AveryH
                    eSignal Support

Comment

Earlier this week we received several calls from clients where their Forex charts stopped updating. Our Data Department and QA found that the misc.tab file which should be updated on the user system was not being downloaded from the servers to the clients. This was corrected earlier this morning and appears to have corrected the problem. . If you are still experiencing problems with chart stoppage please close eSignal and the Data Manager wait 30 seconds and reopen. The Misc.tab file will automatically be update on you system.

AveryH
                      eSignal Support

Comment

Earlier this week we received several calls from clients where their Forex charts stopped updating. Our Data Department and QA found that the misc.tab file which should be updated on the user system was not being downloaded from the servers to the clients. This was corrected earlier this morning and appears to have corrected the problem. . If you are still experiencing problems with chart stoppage please close eSignal and the Data Manager wait 30 seconds and reopen. The Misc.tab file will automatically be update on you system.

AveryH
                        eSignal Support

Avery,

I happend again last night and I decided to stop trading as it's happened many times this week and every time it results in more trading losses in an account that really can't tolerate them.

Are you reasonably certain this will resolve the problem I have been having this week?

When I restarted I see the same update data on those files, 10/23/07 which seems to indicate that if the cause was these files not being updated, it appears externally that they still are not?

Glen
                        Glen Demarco
                        [email protected]

Comment

Glen,
                          What we know is this update of the misc.tab file corrects their issues. I've been talking to QA and though your problem does involve individual contributor I don't know that you're experiencing the same thing.

What we would like to do if you don't mind is get you Layout/Page with EFS's to try and duplicate more in-house to get a true sense of what you seeing.

The misc.tab should have a create data of 10/23/2007.

AveryH

Comment

Glen,
                            What we know is this update of the misc.tab file corrects their issues. I've been talking to QA and though your problem does involve individual contributor I don't know that you're experiencing the same thing.

What we would like to do if you don't mind is get you Layout/Page with EFS's to try and duplicate more in-house to get a true sense of what you seeing.

The misc.tab should have a create data of 10/23/2007.

AveryH
                            Hi Avery,

I'd be happy to help in any way I can, thanks for offering. Duplicating my eSignal configuration is possible but you would need several function libraries insttalled. You would need to duplicate my IB connection also and that would be more difficult.

Do you know what diagnostic information has been looked at at so far on your end?

Has anyone looked at the 2 seperate server trace/log files that Tech Support has access to?

I just received portions myself and am researching some unusual entries but I only have the log for a narrow time period when one failure occurred.

I asked for both logs for the last week when all the failures occurred but was sent data for a narrow time period.

I was going to attach it to this email so you can see what data I'm referring to but there may be information in the trace, server names etc that might not be appropriate for a public forum.

Please let me know as I'm basically shut down until this is resolved.

Thanks

Glen
                            Glen Demarco
                            [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                            X