Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cause and fix found for many eSignal crashes

Hi
    Following a most annoying period of having eSignal (10, all rels) crash with a frequency that even Bill Gates might have found embarrassing (several times per day), I have managed to make a copy run for days, without a crash, still running the same charts etc!

I can match the symptoms that other people with crash problems have described (although I can’t guarantee that all of them are fixed), I can see why my use might make my copy more likely to crash. All makes perfect sense. And the LiveRep approach to the “unknown problem” (blame Windows so reboot – even one guy told me that unless I actually switched the PC off and waited rather than just a Shutdown/restart I would not be properly restarting and he wouldn’t help – but there again he was also the guy who refused to provide further support once he established I had an AMD64 (see “eSignal Compatibility with 64-Bit Processors (2532)”, btw, the problem is NOT to do with the AMD64 of course, but that got them off my back I guess) does go someway to deferring the problem, but it is not a fix.

Some time has gone into discovering the cause, not having the source code makes the fix a work around, and quite some time has been wasted over many months restarting eSig, posting on forums, talking to LiveReps, all that stuff that gets in the way of using a product that costs real money and is not from some “mickey mouse” outfit.

So, for now I am not prepared to divulge the cause, fix, or anything. In the interest of others that have the same problems, perhaps someone reasonably senior from eSignal would like to contact me to discuss this.

I apologise for this “selfish” approach, but, well, I’m fed up with having so much time wasted and I want to make a point. After all, no one is worse off than they would be if I hadn't worked it out.

PS:
    I should add that this does not fix all crashes, and nor does it cure chart freeze (fomc was a disaster). Nor does it improve the loading of tick data in long-term tick charts (see other work around posted for that).

But it does allow me to run two copies of eSignal again (which means I don't get the chart data reload problem when the size of the symbol history in one chart grows and causes another chart to restart).

Comment

No improvement in 10.1, worse in fact I think, so anyone who has unexplained corrupted menus and various random crashes or just can't get eSignal to start (all this is somewhat dependent on your machine configuration and use, but more likely to affect people who bought a lot of memory thinking they could run more apps) might be interested.

Comment

Working...
      X