Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frequent crashes when loading style template

Hello,

I'm using eSignal Premier version 10.0.1086.932 (dated 12/22/07). I work in multiple locations so I work from one of four different computers on a given day. I annotate Advanced Charts (within a Page) with lines and text. I back up each individual annotated Advanced Chart onto a USB flash drive as a Style Template so that I can pull up my charts on a different computer the next day and still see my annotations. I don't back up the whole Page because the monitors are all different sizes and run on different resolutions, meaning each monitor needs to have its own Page.

On 3 of the 4 computers, I have no problem loading a Style Template into an Advanced Chart. But on one computer, eSignal frequently crashes when I try to load a Style Template. When this happens, repeated attempts to reopen eSignal and load the Style Template are generally unsuccessful. Even rebooting the computer usually doesn't help. I have uninstalled and reinstalled eSignal, but the problem persists. I've been having this problem since I installed the first version of eSignal 10 (I think it was released around October 2007).

Generally the Style Template I'm trying to load has less than 20 annotations.

The computer on which I'm having the problem is the most powerful of the four. It has a 2.13 GHz Core 2 Duo and 2 GB RAM. The biggest difference I can think of between this one and the other 3 is that it is the only one that runs Windows Vista. The other 3 run Windows XP. Perhaps this is a Vista-specific problem?

I almost always send a crash report to eSignal when it crashes but I continue to have the problem regularly. Hopefully someone here has a suggestion that will help me solve the problem. I noticed in other threads that some people are going back to eSignal 8.0 due to lagging, which is another intermittent problem I've had for the past couple weeks. I also see that there is a beta version 10.1 available. I wonder if I should switch to one of these versions?

Thanks,
    Jason

edit: If I reopen eSignal after a crash, then open a new Advanced Chart, then load the Style Template into the new Advanced Chart (instead of loading it into the previously existing Advanced Chart), it usually doesn't crash. But within a few days, it starts crashing again.
    Last edited by aereoplain; 04-12-2008, 10:13 AM.

I have a similar problem

I have a similar issue. eSignal will often crash when I simply "change" a chart to a new template. Usually if i change the template for 1-2 charts, it's fine, but if I change it for more than 2, it crashes, even if I save.

Comment

After 3 weeks I still haven't received a response to this question. Did I post it in the wrong forum? Or did I not include all necessary information?

Thanks,
      Jason

Comment

Hello Aereoplain,
        Thank you for the post and I apologize that we have not gotten back to you sooner.

From the information you've given it sounds like there is something within either the pages you trying to upload the chart to or there's corruption with the eSignal from installation.

Since you told us that the eSignal has had problems from the first installation I would recommend a complete uninstall of eSignal using the Windows Control Panel’s Add and Remove Programs. .

After the eSignal is uninstalled remove the following files from the C:\Windows Directory

Winsig.ini
        Winros.ini
        Reader.ini

Delete the eSignal folder from the C:\Program File Directory.
        This information is also available at the following URL http://kb.esignalcentral.com/article...ticle=1626&p=1

Go to our website www.esignal.com/download and install the lasted version.
        You can also contact Technical Support for assistance with this above instructions if you are not comfortable doing them.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

AveryH
        eSignal Support

Comment

I also have the same problem. It's generally when I change style templates. What I've found as a workaround is to first load the Style default, which essentially deletes everything. Then I load the new template and it is fine.

I may try the reinstall, procedure outlined, and see if it helps.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by ahodgee
            I would recommend a complete uninstall of eSignal

AveryH
            eSignal Support
            Avery,

Thanks for the response. I followed your uninstall instructions tonight and created a new Page after reinstall. I decided not to import my old Page since you said the Page itself might be corrupted. I opened new Advanced Charts and imported my Style Templates for each one with no problems. I'll see how it goes over the next week or so.

I decided to install eSignal 8.0 instead of 10.0 because I was also experiencing the lagging problem that others have reported.

Thanks again,
            Jason

Comment

Update: after following Avery's instructions to uninstall eSignal and then reinstalling eSignal 8.0, it still crashes frequently when trying to import a Style Template.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
              Jason

Comment

My workaround when I am having this problem when I want to load a new style, that I know will crash esignal, if first load the default, which clears the window, and then load the new style. This works fairly consistantly.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Peter2150
                  My workaround when I am having this problem when I want to load a new style, that I know will crash esignal, if first load the default, which clears the window, and then load the new style. This works fairly consistantly.

Pete
                  Hi Pete,

Thanks for the info. This is the only workaround I have found as well. Unfortunately, this workaround requires that after importing into the default chart window, you must then resize and realign that window within the page. It's no big deal if you're just importing into one window within the page. But when you have to import and then resize 5 or 6 windows every day, it gets a little cumbersome. I would prefer it if the software would import properly without crashing.

Comment

Originally posted by aereoplain
                    Unfortunately, this workaround requires that after importing into the default chart window, you must then resize and realign that window within the page.
                    I just realized that you might have been suggesting to import a default Style Template into the existing window and then import the desired Style Template, whereas I have been closing the window, then opening a new default Advanced Chart window, then importing the desired Style Template. If I could keep the existing window then I wouldn't have to resize and realign it. I will try this; thanks again for the suggestion.

Comment

Hi Jason,
                      Instead of trying to use the previously created style templates please try creating new templetes as it could very well be the template that corrupt and not the page.

AveryH
                      eSignal Support

Comment

Hi Jason,
                        Instead of trying to use the previously created style templates please try creating new templetes as it could very well be the template that corrupt and not the page.

AveryH
                        eSignal Support
                        Hello Avery,

I considered the possibility that the Style Templates are corrupt. However, if this were the case, then why does it only crash on one computer but not the other three? I use the same Style Templates on all four machines, and three of them don't crash when importing. The reason I was focused on the Page being corrupt is because each computer has its own Page.

Regardless, I will try your suggestion when I find time to duplicate all my annotations into new Style Templates.

Thanks,
                        Jason

Comment

Hi Jason,

AveryH
                          eSignal Support
                          Hi Avery

I've tried that without success. In any event, I bet I've let over a dozen crash reports go in, so hopefully some one is looking at them.

Pete

Comment

Couple of other suggestions
                            Try other Templates to see if they cause a crash.
                            Copy the Template from one of the three good machines and see if it works?

This way we can narrow it down to machine, template or application or combination.

AveryH
                            eSignal Support

Comment

Working...
                            X