Freeze from 100% cpu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freeze from 100% cpu

I've been monitoring performance upgrades for several months and need to know which combination of system hardware and eSignal software version works fastest. I know build 1230 is coming out or is out already, but I really don't need new features unless this version runs faster or better without 100% cpu freezes.

I've been using eSignal for probably over 8 years now and have a setup that needs to run without freeze ups. FYI, I've settled on build 782, 2.4ghz, 1 Gb on about 63 charts with 5 basic studies each, 5 quote list, on 5 monitors. I'm buiding a new dual core system 3+ ghz, 2 Gb. Will this new system I'm building work to solve freeze problems on build 782? or it really has nothing to do with hardware, but is a software and data pipe transfer problem?

I don't recall what version ran on 782 but that sounds like pre-8.0. We're now on 1250 with 10.1 and much work has been done to optimize the program with more to come in 10.2. The program has gotten bigger over time but the market volumes have played a big role as well in overall performance.

Tough question to specifically answer because of the high number of variables (how active the symbols you use are, how efficient the studies are, speed of video card, what else is running, etc).

So far, reports on 10.1 have been really good, especially when making tick chart requests. I'd suggest trying 10.1 (on our main download page) and see how it works.

Thanks.

Comment

The studies I have are pretty simple, and most are basic formulas pulled from the eSignal inventory. I do think the formulas may slow charts down a little, but it is the quote table that is key for me. Data even pauses a little every 15 min time change. Is there anything I can do on my end, perhaps to the data manager? or eSignal specific file maintenance?

BTW, I'm still on 2000 pro, and will need xp for 10.0+. Using a matrox 4 head card. I obvious don't change things if they are still working. (I have tried xp and 10.1 on other systems, but reverted back) But now, it is just too many freezes to endure. No need for tick request for me...just bid ask last on quote table if that is the same meaning as tick request. Is it?

The new cpu build will finish this weekend and is a trade specific system. Any hardware suggestions? I still plan to run 5 lcd monitors.
      Last edited by cgnahc; 06-17-2008, 08:54 AM.

Comment

Any possibility to segment the programs to specific trading use? It would be great to have an a la carte selection of downloads for programs to run equity only, options, futures, fx, or any combination. May be the programs will be smaller and run more efficiently, rather than have one monster program that can do everything so so well. Kinda like a stripped down race car, with no back seat, rather than a loaded down MB. You know what I mean?

Comment

Working...
        X