Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet metering and Time Warner Cable

Question:
    If we run eSignal every trading day for a month how many gigabytes are we downloading? Below is why I want to know this.

I use the cable modem from Time Warner Cable (TWC) with my eSignal subscription. I see that TWC is moving to Internet metering. I also see Comcast saying they plan to slow down the internet access speed for heavy users. I do not know how many gigabytes eSignal is downloading each month. From what I have read more than 40 gigabytes per month will trigger a penalty fee or require a premium cost subscription.

Thanks
    Patrick

Hi Patrick,

Interesting question. Here's a recent KB Article that describes bandwidth usage expectations.

There are a number of variables to consider here and make this a moving target.

* How many symbols you use and how active is each one.
    * How many times you make new chart requests and how many are at the tick level (i.e. more data)?
    * Overall market volumes continue to climb at a rate of at least 50% a year. Some markets more than others.

With 10.1, we've reduced the default request for the amount of data for intraday charts and Time and Sales. That way, you ask for less data and make a deliberate decision to ask for more data when you alter the settings.

If more ISP's start "metering" it'll likely mean that we may need to add some tool w/in eSignal that helps users see how much data they are requesting each day.

Hope that helps.

Comment

I should also add that I've seen reports like this and they appear aimed mostly at people downloading very large files (like full 2 hr movies) all day long. I suspect that usage on a market data system will fall under the radar overall.

Thx

Comment

If you are really worried about this, you might head over to download.com and grab one of the Network Monitoring Meters out there. For example Net Meter 3.4 is overkill for this, but will give you summary of network use for set Intervals (Session, Hour, Day, Month, etc). It also had alrting capabilities for bandwidth use, I'm not sure if it alarms on aggragate use per day though (it may).

There is a bit of overhead for running these, but if you do it for a day or two it should give you an idea if you are close to the limit. If so, you know you may have to keep it running all the time so you can monitor you usage and make sure you don't go over.

You can also comapre usage when not running eSignal to when you are running eSignal...which may be interesting (many people use more bandwidth than they think).

Garth
        Garth

Comment

Working...
        X