ver 10.1 - display optimization overview and feedback poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ver 10.1 - display optimization overview and feedback poll

With the release of version 10.1, we've added an important user preference setting to help reduce the cpu load. While not visible to the naked eye, real-time data causes your screen to repaint hundreds, perhaps even thousands of times each minute.

In order to reduce the burden of these re-draws, we added an optimization preference under File/Preferences/Display tab. This setting impacts quote, summary and detail windows only so no impact on charts or other window types. If you do experience cpu spikes, it's worth playing with this setting to see if it makes a difference. Here's an explanation of each level:

Regardless of the setting you choose, the data is still coming into your system. This just controls how often the screen repaints in those three window types. When you adjust it, you'll notice it'll look more like a pulse, especially the higher the optimization setting you choose.

This setting was instrumental is resolving a pegging cpu issue with one of our largest customers (well over 1000 terminals) and that prompted us to make it available to all users in 10.1.

We'd appreciate customers testing out the various settings and then taking the poll attached to this thread. Further optimization is planned for 10.2 as data rates continue to climb and we realize the desktop needs to be smarter and lighter.

Thanks very much.
    Increasing the optimization really helped. I could see less CPU spiking.
    54.55%
    The new setting helped but I didn't like the way the display changed.
    0.00%
    I didn't notice any difference in CPU activity, even on the high optimization setting.
    27.27%
    Haven't tried it yet.
    18.18%

With the other enhancements in v10.1, won't the v10.1 actually be 'heavier'? The only feature in v10.1 I'd like is the display performance optimization component. Is this available as a stand-alone?

Comment

While we did add some functionality, we made many strides in improving the overall code base to make it run lighter and smoother. We only have one thread of code for eSignal so we don't separate features and add to previous builds.

Thanks.

Comment

I've had some issues where v10.1 does not update prices for minutes at a time. I've noticed this on 2 different machines with 2 different sources of internet access. Will changing the display optimization help out with this problem?

I noticed this am that it was set to the slowest (default) display setting. I'll go to the real time update and see if that helps.

Comment

10.1 optimization

I am very...VERY...disappointed with 10.1; it is incredibly slow. The lag time is about to make me cancel my eSignal subscription!

Comment

Hi obfutures,
            Sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction with the 10.1 version. We’ve received some good feedback with relation to the increased speed, the chart loading as well as some of the new features.

If you don’t mind me asking, what is it that you’re having trouble with?

AveryH
            eSignal Support

Comment

My TICK charts would not update, normally when there was a price spike. Today, however, it happened all day and caused a drag on any chart I used (1-min, 5-min,10-min whatever).

I have a VERY powerful PC with a VERY high internet connection which has no problems today.

I have just downloaded the latest version that was released 7-16...hoping that is better than the other power hog.

Comment

Please let us know if we can be of any assistance to you.

Also some things to check when you have a problem such as slow charts. if one chart is causing all charts or your page to act sluggish it could be corruption in that chart or page..

Try creating a new page and see if things speed up. Also there have been few cases where upgrading to a new version and using older versions layouts/pages have cause some updating issues. .

I always recommend when doing the upgrade that you start with new pages. There are some easy way to copy your symbols into excel so you don't have to do a lot of typing when creating new Quote Windows.

Hope this helps, once again please let us know if we can be of any assistance.

AveryH
                eSignal Support

Comment

v10.1 and 10.2 beta performance

i have had similar problems to what obfutures has related and esignal has several unresolved tickets related to them. as market volatility has increased the past two months, i have experienced more and more "freezes" where my system becomes unresponsive and one of my cpu cores is pegged by the esignal software.

i have lowered the refresh rate and it hasn't made a difference.

the biggest difference i got was when i used a sysinternals tool to manually change the priority of the esignal display process to above normal and the data collector to high. i still experienced freezing.

i then rolled back to esignal 8 and have been able to function without the freezing.

this is a really frustrating issue because the problem only occurs when you need the esignal data the most during times of high volatility.

Comment

Working...
                  X