X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using y-splitters with Quadro video cards

I am preparing to purchase a new trading PC using a PNY Quadro
    multi-monitor video card. Does anyone here know if you can use
    y-splitters on these cards and display different images on each monitor?) By this I mean plugging four monitors into the video card by using y-splitters on the two ports? One Quadro card has both a DB-15 port for analog monitors and
    a DVI port for flat panel monitors.
    Thanks
    Gone Fish'n

Hi Fish,

Unfortunately the splitter will only duplicate the image on both monitors. The only way to display 4 different images on 4 monitors is to have either 4 Video cards, 2 duel ported Video cards or a single 4 ported Video card.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
    Andy

Comment

Setting up multiple monitors with XP is a snap

You can connect up to 10 monitors to a Windows XP-based computer and display numerous programs or windows at one time. You can use your mouse to move items from one monitor to another. You can open a different file on each monitor. Or you can stretch one item across several monitors; so for example, you can dedicate two exclusivley to your charts and the others to your trading platform and web searches and news.

You don't necessarily need to have multiple-headed monitor cards to do that, you can put single head cards in each PCI slot in order to accomplish this task - I personally use an ATI dual head card (Radeon with 64 MB of RAM) in the AGP slot and two ATI PCI single head cards to drive my 4 monitors. Now that I only trade emini's and 10 yr treasuries, I find that 4 is overkill - but the eyes are getting older so I can make things a little bigger .

You can read more about it here: Microsoft How To

Good luck, and you don't have to spend a lot on those cards - PCI cards are pretty cheap and do the trick very nicely.

Comment

pc133 or newer system

Hello Max,
        Thanks for the info on video cards. Sounds like you try the least expensive routes. Me, too. What do you think about the need to upgrade from a pc133 system 1.33GB AMD CPU to the newer 2.0+ GB systems with faster bus speeds? If you run the pc133 system does it keep up with enough memory and WIN XP PRO?
        Does WIN XP PRO (if you use it) have restrictions on which video cards will work in the same system? Say matrox agp and ati pci?
        Gone Fish'n

Comment

Fairly simple

03sdperk,

Processor speeds not critical, I run a 1.8 GHz machine with 512 MB of RAM, XP Pro and the video card setup I described earlier along with 4 displays.

I don't think there is a limitation with the XP Pro OS and the types of cards you use, but you should clarify that. I also have a very fast DSL (10 Mbps) which is also essential, imo.

Comment

Max,

Thanks, I've been debating with myself whether to upgrade my PC133 system a little or go bigger. I knew speed was not a big deal, but was concerned regarding "bandwidth" or "capacity" of the system.

I think I'll try the easy way.
            Gone Fish'n

Comment

Couple other tidbits

03sdperk,

A couple of other things I have found useful and worth a few minutes to implement are:

Testing your bandwidth performance - just so you know where you stand -

http://www.toast.net/performance/

Using an Always On Top application - not all apps come with the ability to keep windows on top of another one, for those with limited "real estate" this can be a big help. There are probably a few out there, but I use AlwaysOnTopMaker which is free ware - http://www.fadsoft.com/AlwaysOnTopMaker.htm it works great.

Comment

Working...
              X