10.1 Issues and Bugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10.1 Issues and Bugs

I am new to these forums and could not see a thread immediately addressing the issues with ESignal. It would be useful to have such a thread at the top of this forum but perhaps I am just in the wrong place in which case I hope someone can move this to the correct place.

I am having many issues with 10.1. This is supposed to be a stronger, more reliable and faster release. For me it is not.

Firstly Windows Vista. I am running 64 Bit Vista Business on a dual Opteron system, 16 Gigabytes of Ram (fully supported by Windows Vista 64 bit), very fast hard drives and dual 8800GT nvidia graphics cards driving 4 19 inch monitors with 3.1 Megabit internet connection which is very reliable. This is not written to boast - it is a substantial expenditure to avoid the inevitable excuse that the system is not fast enough, does not have enough memory, internet too slow and other such excuses given by tech support personnel in just about every comapny I have come across to get rid of you and pass he blame on the inadequate software back to the user who constantly goes off buying kit upgrades that are unneccessary where in reality it is the poor implementation and coding of the software that is ultimately to blame. I would far rather be told - we are not quite there yet but are working on resolving the issues - and see some real effort and resources going into it than to have the blame passed back to the end user wasting money to try to resolve non existent system issues. Try doing that to your wife or girlfriend and she will very soon ditch you for another guy. If at fault accept it and redress it. Incidentally directly connected so no reliability issues with internet.

64 bit windows has been out for over a year and multi thread processors for several years and I am dumbfounded to read in the sticky that multi threading and multi core processing is only partially supported. This is unbelievable considering the cost of the service.

That having been said ESignal is appallingly slow in Vista. If you click to update settings on a chart the computer pauses for several seconds, ceases to update until it sorts itself out - the first time this happened it was like the pause you get while the computer thinks about asking you to confirm an action which needs Administrator priviledges (although it doesn't actually ask for confirmation to continue). In the fast paced world of trading this is utterly unacceptable and needs urgent resolution.

In this version I am suddenly experiencing the letters P & Q where symbols (triangles) were displayed in version 8. Why?

LiveRep seems to be permanently down - why? That is with four different computers on two seperate internet connections. Sometimes it reports it is closed - 24 hours to me means all day so why is it closed? - and sometimes it reports it needs a secure connection and some IP address. Maybe its not closed? Maybe it is but I can;t access it.

Email is great but it takes 48 hours or so to get a response. Why is it tech support people don;t read emails properly? I raise three points and get one answered and the others not even acknowledged. It takes time to write emails and I don;t appreciate wasting mine - it is a finite resource and I don;t particualrly want to spend it writing spurious emails. Can someone sort that issue out!

I am pleased to see improvements being made to this costly data service but I think that given the high cost compared to many 'on a par' competitors, greater effort and resources need to be spent on making the system more compatible, more up to date with the latest OS and hardware because ultimately the inadequacies of the software cost us your customers money.

I already cancelled ESignal once three years ago and have come back to try it again. I have to say I am not much impressed - it seems as buggy as ever.

Maybe there are resolutions to this but I don't want to wait two days in between reasking the same unanswered questions with email support - it is too time consuming and ulitmately wastes my time and the time of tech support staff.
    Honesty and Valour - where did they go?

Re: 10.1 Issues and Bugs

Originally posted by Slipperx
    I am running 64 Bit Vista Business on a dual Opteron system, 16 Gigabytes of Ram (fully supported by Windows Vista 64 bit), very fast hard drives and dual 8800GT nvidia graphics cards driving 4 19 inch monitors with 3.1 Megabit internet connection which is very reliable.

In this version I am suddenly experiencing the letters P & Q where symbols (triangles) were displayed in version 8. Why?

LiveRep seems to be permanently down - why?
    As you appear to know, Vista is not fully supported yet but is being worked on. As is multi-threaded and 64 bit support. Users on Vista report it works OK so not sure why you'd be seeing slowness.

Not sure I understand the issue with P and Q so perhaps you can post a screenshot. Aside from a power outage yesterday in Hayward (5am to 9 am pt), Liverep is alive and kicking 24/5. Please post a screenshot of what you see trying to connect there.

Overall, it sounds like it makes sense to talk to an experienced support representative and try to work through your concerns. You can either call in direct or PM your username and we'll have someone call you.

Thanks.

Comment

On the subject of running 32-bit code (let alone 64bit OS code) on 64bit AMD processors, there is still this issue of course:

We are currently investigating some possible compatibility issues with certain AMD 64-Bit Processors (i.e. 3200, 3400). Our development staff are in process of performing a battery of tests on a variety of processors with the hope of making sure eSignal runs properly on them, however due to the complexity of such issues, we do not currently anticipate a short-term solution to these issues. At this time, eSignal is not officially supporting 64-Bit processors, however we have had reports of some processors that do work.
      Based on my experience, eSignal must be alone in this respect, so it would be an improvement if we got pas that hurdle first, else LiveRep have been known to to tell you the system you are using is not supported and in turn refuse to help you at all , so getting through to them may not be of any use.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave180
        On the subject of running 32-bit code (let alone 64bit OS code) on 64bit AMD processors, there is still this issue of course:
        We are currently investigating some possible compatibility issues with certain AMD 64-Bit Processors (i.e. 3200, 3400). Our development staff are in process of performing a battery of tests on a variety of processors with the hope of making sure eSignal runs properly on them, however due to the complexity of such issues, we do not currently anticipate a short-term solution to these issues. At this time, eSignal is not officially supporting 64-Bit processors, however we have had reports of some processors that do work.

Based on my experience, eSignal must be alone in this respect, so it would be an improvement if we got pas that hurdle first, else LiveRep have been known to to tell you the system you are using is not supported and in turn refuse to help you at all , so getting through to them may not be of any use.
        This is an issue that worries me, ok so 64bit processors have only been out for half a decade. I am just about to update my main system, it will be core2duo and quite frankly if eSignal can't keep up I will not hesitate to move elsewhere. If it isn't cracked in half a decade.....well what can I say.
        Hope for the best.....Plan for the worst!

Comment

I'm actually running eSignal on Vista (gag) on both my new laptop and new desktop (only because I haven't had time to upgrade them to XP yet ;-)...they are both Intel based multi-core (dual core laptop, quad core desktop) and they are running fine.

I believe we have some dual socket quad core AMD's heading our way soon. If I have time I may snake one out for a few days and test it to see if I have any issues with it on eSignal...but I can say for sure that the Intel multi-cores haven't had an issue for me.

Garth
          Garth

Comment

Originally posted by gspiker
            I'm actually running eSignal on Vista (gag) on both my new laptop and new desktop (only because I haven't had time to upgrade them to XP yet ;-)...they are both Intel based multi-core (dual core laptop, quad core desktop) and they are running fine.

I believe we have some dual socket quad core AMD's heading our way soon. If I have time I may snake one out for a few days and test it to see if I have any issues with it on eSignal...but I can say for sure that the Intel multi-cores haven't had an issue for me.

Garth
            Thanx for the input gspiker that's good news, I will be running XP pro on the new machine, am skipping Vista, see what windows 7 brings.

Comment

Ok here we go again
              A slew of errors with V10.1.1a and XP SP3

Event Type: Error
              Event Source: SideBySide
              Event Category: None
              Event ID: 32
              Date: 7/28/2008
              Time: 12:44:44 PM
              User: N/A
              Computer: xxxxxxxxxx
              Description:
              Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80.MFCLOC could not be found and Last Error was The referenced assembly is not installed on your system.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event ID: 59
              Description:
              Resolve Partial Assembly failed for Microsoft.VC80.MFCLOC. Reference error message: The referenced assembly is not installed on your system.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Description:
              Generate Activation Context failed for C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.VC80.MFC_1fc8b3b9a 1e18e3b_8.0.50727.42_x-ww_dec6ddd2\MFC80.DLL. Reference error message: The operation completed successfully.

Event ID: 32
              Description:
              Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80.MFCLOC could not be found and Last Error was The referenced assembly is not installed on your system.

Description:
              Resolve Partial Assembly failed for Microsoft.VC80.MFCLOC. Reference error message: The referenced assembly is not installed on your system.

Description:
              Generate Activation Context failed for C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.VC80.MFC_1fc8b3b9a 1e18e3b_8.0.50727.42_x-ww_dec6ddd2\MFC80.DLL. Reference error message: The operation completed successfully.

These errors are generated everytime eSignal starts.

Comment

Hi dhummiford,
                The errors you’ve copied from the Event Viewer are normally generated when your system is missing the Microsoft C++ 2005 Redistributable files. These files are used for many of the new Windows applications developed with Visual Studio C++ .NET 2.0 Framework. You can be downloaded the C++ Distributable files from the Microsoft
                Support Center.

Hopefully this will resolve the issue you're having with 10.1.

AveryH
                eSignal Support

Comment

Originally posted by ahodgee
                  Hi dhummiford,
                  The errors you’ve copied from the Event Viewer are normally generated when your system is missing the Microsoft C++ 2005 Redistributable files. These files are used for many of the new Windows applications developed with Visual Studio C++ .NET 2.0 Framework. You can be downloaded the C++ Distributable files from the Microsoft
                  Support Center.

Hopefully this will resolve the issue you're having with 10.1.

AveryH
                  eSignal Support
                  Thank you AveryH for your prompt reply, at the moment, with the exception of the errors detailed in the event viewer, the program seems to work ok. Are the files necessary for correct functioning of the program or can the errors simply be ignored?
                  Thank you.

Comment

Hi yet another question, with regards to "Auto scaling" on advanced charts within a page. Am I not allowed to turn off auto scaling? When I do, and change the time frame it's back on eSignal v10.1.1a july 16th release
                    Any comments appreciated, will be a little while before I can confirm that I was able to do this will v8.
                    Last edited by dhunniford; 07-29-2008, 07:06 AM.

Comment

dhunniford
                      Whenever you change the interval or symbol the chart is reset to Auto Scale. This behavior is the same in all prior versions of eSignal (8.x included)
                      Alex

Originally posted by dhunniford
                      Hi yet another question, with regards to "Auto scaling" on advanced charts within a page. Am I not allowed to turn off auto scaling? When I do, and change the time frame it's back on eSignal v10.1.1a july 16th release
                      Any comments appreciated, will be a little while before I can confirm that I was able to do this will v8.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexis C. Montenegro
                        dhunniford
                        Whenever you change the interval or symbol the chart is reset to Auto Scale. This behavior is the same in all prior versions of eSignal (8.x included)
                        Alex
                        Thanx Alexis, strange the charts don't perform in the same manner, I will investigate further. The problem may be that the particular charts set to show 1 days data are showing some data from yesterday which is skewing the picture. I do know for a fact that charts set to show 1 days data in v8 only showed todays data.

Comment

Dhummiford,
                          The files should not impact your eSignal at all. The package allows users to access the necessary Windows Reference Library used by developers who create programs using the latest Microsoft technology, (I.e. Visual Studios 2005, 2008). Basically speaking this new .NET Framework allows the older system that have not updated to the latest Service Packs to continue to work with the new programs without crashing.

AveryH
                          eSignal Support

Comment

10.1 issue

I am also having an issue with the latest release. If I open a page, and change the styles on the charts, all is fine. But if I then change an interval, it crashes.

I have to change the styles, then exit saving. Then on reentering esignal I can change intervals.

I've sent in many a crash log on this.

Pete

Comment

Re: 10.1 issue

Originally posted by Peter2150
                              I am also having an issue with the latest release. If I open a page, and change the styles on the charts, all is fine. But if I then change an interval, it crashes.

I have to change the styles, then exit saving. Then on reentering esignal I can change intervals.

I've sent in many a crash log on this.

Pete
                              Hi Pete, not 100% sure on this but it sounds like a similar problem I was experiencing here if that is the case, they rolled back a release ensure you are using the download that was dated 16th July it's not the same 10.1 as its predecessor. If you click to download it you can compare the detailed version id with the one you downloaded before without actually downloading it, if that makes sense.
                              Last edited by dhunniford; 08-08-2008, 06:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X