Range Bars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Range Bars

How do I create a range bar chart? There is no range bar option in the interval pull down menu.

TIA

Re: Range Bars

mikchacha
    For the description and instructions on how to plot the available tick based intervals see this article in the eSignal KnowledgeBase
    Alex

Originally posted by mikchacha
    How do I create a range bar chart? There is no range bar option in the interval pull down menu.

TIA

Comment

Dead link

Comment

I understand that to get a range bar I can type in: 'Symbol' space 'range interval' space 'R'

I just cannot determine where to input this information.

Nothing in the manual.

Comment

mikchacha
          The link appears to be working at my end.
          Anyhow to create a range bar chart select the chart then type the value for the range followed by an R (or r) without the space eg 1R for a one point range or 0.5R for a half point range etc. As you type the value of the range the Change Symbol dialog box will open. You can also open the Change Symbol dialog box by typing any letter which will locate the cursor in the Symbol field or by typing a comma which will locate the cursor in the Interval field
          Alex

I understand that to get a range bar I can type in: 'Symbol' space 'range interval' space 'R'

I just cannot determine where to input this information.

Nothing in the manual.

Comment

mikchacha
            I tried the link again [after clearing my cache] and it seems that the KB is unavailable also from my end at this time.
            eSignal may be resettting it so you may want to try the link a bit later
            Alex

Comment

Thanks. The info I was missing was where to input this info. To input the info I need to press the comma key and then key in the interval.

Comment

mikchacha
                You are most welcome
                Alex

Thanks. The info I was missing was where to input this info. To input the info I need to press the comma key and then key in the interval.

Comment

Range Bars

The bars are not displayed correctly.. Plse see attached chart. using 1R
                  Attached Files

Comment

Re: Range Bars

Robert
                    Range-bars are available only starting with version 10.0 [released in 2008] and from what I am seeing you are using an older version of the program (I am guessing 7.6 or 7.7).
                    In your case the program ignores the R in 1R since it is not a recognized interval in that version and uses only the number portion of the interval thereby plotting a 1 minute chart.
                    FWIW enclosed below are a 1R and a 1 minute chart of AB #F. As you can see the 1 minute chart matches the one you posted
                    Alex

Originally posted by Robert Dee
                    The bars are not displayed correctly.. Plse see attached chart. using 1R

Comment

Robert
                      You may also want to review this announcement regarding the Russell futures
                      Alex

Comment

range bar chart

Thanks for the quick reply Alex.

Can I display the range bar chart in Heiken/Ashi format?

Thanks again.

Comment

Re: range bar chart

Robert
                          Heikin-Ashi is not an available chart type at this time. Regardless I believe that it would defeat the purpose of using range-bars since it would break the key rules used for plotting range-bars ie.
                          a) the range of the bars must be constant [except on the last bar of the session] which is unlikely to happen with Heikin-Ashi bars due to the way they are calculated
                          b) the Open must be outside of the previous bar whereas in a Heikin-Ashi bar it is the midpoint of the previous bar
                          c) the Close must be at the High or Low of a bar [except on the last bar of the session] whereas it can be at any point within a Heikin-Ashi bar
                          Having said that you can run the Heikin-Ashi efs on a range-bar chart
                          Alex

Thanks for the quick reply Alex.

Can I display the range bar chart in Heiken/Ashi format?

Thanks again.

Comment

range bars

Alex,

Thanks again for the quick reply.

The explanation on the difference between range and HA chart was very clear. I understand them better now.

I have 2 other questions..

1. Does the range bar has to open above or below previous bar by 1 tick or can open be equal to the hi/lo of previous bar?

I ask cause I have seen other range charts (from other provider) where the open of current bar and close of previous bar close were equal.

2. Does eSignal plan to come out with HA chart type in the future? It seems to be more useful than the other chart types available now.

Thanks.

Comment

Re: range bars

Robert
                              1. To my knowledge the Open must be above or below the previous bar's High or Low by at least one tick with the exception of the first bar of a session in which the Open can instead overlap the previous bar.
                              2. That is a question that you need to redirect to someone at eSignal as I would not know the answer.
                              Alex

Alex,

Thanks again for the quick reply.

The explanation on the difference between range and HA chart was very clear. I understand them better now.

I have 2 other questions..

1. Does the range bar has to open above or below previous bar by 1 tick or can open be equal to the hi/lo of previous bar?

I ask cause I have seen other range charts (from other provider) where the open of current bar and close of previous bar close were equal.

2. Does eSignal plan to come out with HA chart type in the future? It seems to be more useful than the other chart types available now.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X