New User - Horrible Throughput

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New User - Horrible Throughput

I just signed up with eSignal, and I was grabbing historical data earlier today. Paying for a premium data feed, and given what eSignal has told me, I'm expecting to get as much throughput as my own internet connection can handle.

However, I averaged about 2-8 KB/s - which means that I might as well have dialup for all the good it's doing me.

Is this kind of throughput normal? I hope not, because if it is, I'll be cancelling my service shortly.

Not sure what you mean

I'm not understanding the question exactly.

I assume that you mean download speed, is this correct? Are you using third party software along with eSignal to download Historical data? Or are you testing your connection speed while you have eSignal running? I would love to help out with this, just need a little bit more information about what is going on.
    Thank you,
    Eric O.
    eSignal Support

Comment

Re: Not sure what you mean

Originally posted by eostrom
      I'm not understanding the question exactly.

I assume that you mean download speed, is this correct? Are you using third party software along with eSignal to download Historical data? Or are you testing your connection speed while you have eSignal running? I would love to help out with this, just need a little bit more information about what is going on.

I signed up for the data only service, and I'm using NeoTicker. While the historical data was being downloaded, I monitored the internet throughput. What should have only taken 10 minutes, instead took over 4 hours. I'm sure you can understand why this is a concern to me.

Comment

Although not a "controlled experiment" I have noticed that downloading ES tick data at the weekend (market closed) can seem to run at very varyable speeds (seems to start quick and tail off)

I can run a download speed test on my 8MB (theoretical) ADSL line and still read a typical 5MB while I'm doing a tick download, and see no visible decrease in the rate at which the received records updates during the test.
        In fact during the 30 minutes or so it has just taken to download (just) the one day (16 Oct) I have just timed out of a download starting with 17Oct I can run the speed test more than once and see there is not a connection bottleneck.

What I do notice is that a just-started eSignal (10.2) with no charts open uses 100% CPU core to do the download. It cannot take a whole core to manage the download and cacheing of data downloaded over the internet unless you have severly miss-written the download or cacheing code I think?
        Last edited by Dave180; 10-18-2008, 03:22 PM.

Comment

An update
          Just ran a copy of 10.0 on an old laptop. 10 day ES tick download worked as normal (sub 10mins for download, then about 5 for the save, approx 17million records). I think 10.1 was OK.

eSignal pls note - this seems to be a 10.2 bug.

Comment

Well, I don't know if the 10.2 version applies to me.

Since I have a data only feed, I'm only using the Data Manager - which, it seems eSignal hasn't updated since 2006.

Comment

hm, see what you mean about DM version. Can't help. Hopeully eSignal will investigate both.

Meanwhile, this morning (pre ES open) I am finding the backfill on ES 233T is tediously slow. So maybe that can be investigated too.

Comment

Dave,
                In the case of slow loading tick charts, I've checked your entitlement and see that you're connecting to a special set of Trade and Quote servers that download not only trades but the Bid/Ask data as well.

When you requested to have this put on your account you should have been informed that you would experience slower loading tick charts as well as Time and Sale windows.

For the Tick Downloader this is a issue with eSignal 10.2 and our developers will be addressing this in an upcoming release.

AveryH
                eSignal Support

Comment

Working...
                X