PC Tune-Up - optimizing your system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC Tune-Up - optimizing your system

Just thought I'd pass along a troubleshooting tip that really helped me solve some nagging problems I was having on my home PC. I kept having problems with Internet Explorer locking up and being forced to kill the process through Windows Task Manager each time. That lead to problems running eSignal, as well as Excel and other apps I occasionally use.

Turns out that although I have VShield and Zone Alarm running, I was getting hit by a variety of little apps when I surfed the web. I finally used on of our own FAQ's to decipher what was automatically getting loaded into Windows each time (using Win XP).

I then checked each process running under the Task Manager against this handy list and noted each one that I couldn't find on this list. I then temporarily removed them to see the impact and/or searched my PC for what directory that file was stored in. I was able to eliminate 6 apps and all my IE problems have vanished! It's always a bit dangerous to start deleting or renaming files you're unfamiliar with but that site was quite helpful and it was worth the risk(s) for me.

Hope that helps someone else. If anyone has any other suggestions for maintaining their PC, feel free to chime in.

Thanks.

Spyware...

Scott,

I had a similar problem with my PC and found a FREE tool that helps to destroy these apps..

Visit www.download.com and "Spybot S&D".

It is called "SpyBot Search& Destroy" and does a very good job of cleaning these stupid apps from your system and registry.

It is a DONATION based app.

I hate those stupid things that keep hitting my system.

Brad
    Brad Matheny
    eSignal Solution Provider since 2000

Comment

Not Wanna be redundant :

but daily I use SPY BOT:
      Good program, plenty of info, restore option, , Donation based, free update and upgrade. I advice it to everyone to keep clean the machines. ( as well as the win washer which cleanup COMPLETELY your cache and delete tracks and histories, and undesired Cookies.)
      Last edited by fabrizio; 07-02-2003, 10:51 PM.
      Fabrizio L. Jorio Fili

Comment

And I want To thanks Scott for discovering that page:
        It Let me clean up my memory an start up array in a safe an properly "descriptive way".

I advise the page - and the attached small but efficient tweak and programs - to everyone who do not dare like me to touch the register!!!

Cordailly
        Fabrizio L. Jorio Fili

Comment

Spybot vs Ad-aware

I've been using Ad-aware to detect and remove spyware, and it often finds the same spyware each time I scan. What I don't like is that, unless I scan every day, that spyware is presumably sending out my personal info between scans.

Ideally, I would like an anti-spyware program to detect the spyware as it first tries to load, with the option for me to prevent it from loading at all!

I don't think Ad-aware can do this. Can Spybot S&D? Any advantage or downside to running them both?

Thanks in advance
          shaeffer

Comment

Ad Aware was just the beginning of the Spyware detector & removal. I do not believe has gone under any improvement at all.

SpyBot Search & Destroy is a real complete soft , powerfull up to the registry level ( it wont touch it if you would not ask him to do it and, even than, the restore option will put everithing back at its place)

It really works really fine and fully configurable.

Cordially
            Fabrizio L. Jorio Fili

Comment

Fabrizio,

Will Spybot detect (and stop) the spyware when it first tries to install itself?

Or will it only detect the spyware next time you do a scan, after the spyware has already installed on your computer?

Thanks

Comment

Spybot SnD...

It does have an "Immunize" feature that (I believe) protects from future infection. I have installed it and am using it now. It appears to be working quite well.

Brad
                Brad Matheny
                eSignal Solution Provider since 2000

Comment

Profiling Cookies

To All:

I have used Ad-aware and it works well for removing those profiling cookies that track users on the internet.

I switched a year ago to AdSubstract which I love it ...

"Blocks pop-up & pop-under windows, banner ads, animations, music and more. Enhance your online privacy by getting rid of profiling cookies. "

It can be found here: http://www.intermute.com/
                  Chuck
                  @eSignal

Comment

Latest Fixes to Windows

Since this is becoming advice on running your PC - besides running XP, get the latest fixes from Microsoft. On Internet Explorer (IE), click on "Tools" and then "Windows Update".

I am surprised how far behind users get on fixes and security updates on their version of Windows. Microsoft provides these for updates free.

This appears to be the URL:

http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp
                    Chuck
                    @eSignal

Comment

We sporadically get inquiries from users who are having problems with their systems "freezing" or "slowing" to a crawl. These sorts of issues tend to be isolated to each particular user's desktop so there are quite a few variables to run through to locate the problem. We've put together what we hope is a helpful guide to discovering what may be causing these slowdowns on your system. Some are tricks and tips about the eSignal program itself; while others involve optimizing your PC, as we are discussing in this thread.

As we work with more users and uncover additional information, we'll keep this troubleshooting guide/FAQ updated as quickly as possible.

Thanks.

Comment

Updates

There are a bunch of Security Updates for Microsoft Windows posted on their site this week. Be sure and update to the latest fixes.
                        Chuck
                        @eSignal

Comment

Working...
                        X