Andrews Pitchfork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andrews Pitchfork

I'm trying to plot Andrews Pitchfork but it's grayed out. Does that mean I would need to pay extra for such a basic tool?? Please tell me it's included in the basic eSignal package!

Thanks,
    boardman

Hi boardman,

Andrew's Pitchfork located on the Advanced Line Bar is part of the Advanced GET product offering and is a subscription based service. We have received request in the past to free this particular line tool from the subscription based tools and we may do so at some time in the future.

Thank you for weighing in on this issue.

Regards,
    Andy

Comment

Hi Andy,

I can understand requiring subscription fees for proprietary tools or methods, but I don't agree with bundling something so ubiquitous as the pitchfork to the AGET package. My guess is that not only has this decision _not_ increased revenue in the form of new AGET subscriptions, it has instead decreased, if not eliminated, new eSignal business among those that use pitchforks (and not AGET) in daily trading. Not to mention the frustration and annoyance it must cause those current subscribers who have a use for the tool.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Regards,
      boardman

Comment

Boardman

Sorry to jump forward Andy.

Simply : Andrew's Pitchfork is not an "alien" to Aget per Se.
        Make it very simple and superficial: use A.P to see where a W3 will ends up. But just to be very very superficial.
        It seems you know enough if not a lot of this Fib Based tool. If it is so, the following link will be useless to you: throw it out.
        If not could be of some interest.

Cordially

THE MEDIAN LINE

Originally posted by boardman
        Hi Andy,

I can understand requiring subscription fees for proprietary tools or methods, but I don't agree with bundling something so ubiquitous as the pitchfork to the AGET package. My guess is that not only has this decision _not_ increased revenue in the form of new AGET subscriptions, it has instead decreased, if not eliminated, new eSignal business among those that use pitchforks (and not AGET) in daily trading. Not to mention the frustration and annoyance it must cause those current subscribers who have a use for the tool.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Regards,
        boardman
        Fabrizio L. Jorio Fili

Comment

Hello fabrizio,

I realize there is a use for pitchforks with AGET but traders were using them long before AGET was born. It seems that
          using eSignal's bundling logic, if AGET used trendline breakouts as part of its method and not pitchforks, eSignal would not provide a trendline draw tool unless you subscribed to the AGET package. How much sense does that make. eSignal is going to do what it wants no matter how silly (to be polite :-) ) I
          think it is, so I will continue to use them as a data feed and not a charting package, as I have done for years. That's all I
          originally wanted them for. Fortunately pitchforks abound in third party apps. I was just hoping to finally be able to use
          the eSignal charting package. If not for the pitchfork issue, it might just suit my needs now that Advanced Charts are a
          reality. I appreciate your responding to my post, but I don't plan on pursuing this any farther; they have a right to do what they want. Thank you, yes, I'm aware of
          Tim's site.

Regards,
          boardman

Comment

Boardman

Now I got what you mean.

Cordially
            Fabrizio L. Jorio Fili

Comment

Hi Boardman,

The current version of the Andrew's Pitchfork, which we received along with the Advanced GET indicators at the time we purchased the company, does have added code written by AGET that optimizes the tool. The code is proprietary.

We are looking into removing that section of code, thus producing a standard version of Andrew's Pitchfork and include it with the standard tool set we currently offer.

Thank you for weighing in on this feature.

Regards,
              Andy

Comment

Hi All,

I wanted to update this thread and let everyone know that with the release of 7.5, November 2003, we'll be moving Andrew's Pitchfork from the subscription based service to be available for free.

Thank you all for weighing in on this topic!

Regards,
                Andy

Comment

Thank you Andy, I really appreciate it.

I assume it, like other line studies, will work on tick bar charts? And while on the subject of tick bar charts, how many days of data can a tick bar chart load? I'm not too familar with the charting program yet and can only seem to get 2 days worth, even though I created a 10 day tick bar time template. If there is such a limitation, what are the chances in version 7.5 of being able to load and display 60 days worth of data, (currently the same number of intraday data eSignal provides)?

Thanks again,
                  boardman

Comment

boardman
                    Yes the Pitchfork will work with tick charts (see image below).

10 days is the current maximum for tick based charts (ie where the interval contains T, V, P or S).
                    In the following image you can see all 10 days (as shown by the inset chart)

Make sure your Time Template settings clearly specify the tick based intervals as shown below

Hope this helps
                    Alex

Comment

Hi Alex,

It looks like I have it set up right, however I didn't realize I needed to wait a full 4 minutes for 10 days of 249 tic data to load (ES #F). By then I assumed something was wrong. I hope a 4 minute load time isn't normal. How long does it take you? The current day's bars load within seconds; it's the previous 9 days that are the killer.

Can you address the likelihood of getting at least 60 days of tick bar data to load in the near future? It's not possible to see the big picture with only 10 days.

Thanks,
                      boardman
                      Last edited by boardman; 09-16-2003, 10:49 AM.

Comment

On second thought if it really is normal to take approximately 4 minutes to download 10 days of tick data for ES #F, I guess it would not be practical to wait 20 - 25 minutes for a 60 day chart. Unless there's a way to speed on-demand tick data up dramatically, I think the only alternative to speed things up would be for eSignal to allow tick data to be accessed from a users hard drive, meaning it must be written to the HDD (or stored in cache). I doubt eSignal wants to go that route any time soon.

Regards,
                        boardman

Comment

boardman
                          If you want to store tick data for analysis purpose you can do it by taking advantage of the Tick Replay tool.
                          The tool allows you to download up to 10 days of tick data which it saves as ascii files that can in turn be stitched together.

Can you address the likelihood of getting at least 60 days of tick bar data to load in the near future? It's not possible to see the big picture with only 10 days

The reply to this question will have to come from someone at eSignal. If I remember correctly though their stated intention was to increase available tick data to a maximum of 15 days.
                          Alex
                          Last edited by ACM; 09-16-2003, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X