• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heap & Stack size?

Help.

What are the optimal settings for heap and stack I have 512mb
    of memory.

Will this effect program performance with higher settings?
    Please explain.

Thanks.

Gary Divito

I've often wondered about these too. How about it , anyone know the answer?

Comment

In my experience you start to get odd errors, not performance impacts when they are set too low.

Instead of tuning for your memory size, they are adjusted depending on the number and type of EFS study's loaded. The more EFS Studies loaded, and the more memory they use, the more likely you will need to adjust the heap/stack parameters.

G
      Garth

Comment

Can you tell me how to change the heap and stack sizes? Thanks.

Comment

Hi Clearpicks,

On the menu tab go to, "Tools --> EFS --> Settings". Here you can change the heap and stack sizes.

Regards,
          Andy

Comment

So, what should heap and stack size be set to? Mine are Heap 32,768 K and Stack 16 K, which are apparently default because I've never changed them. Per windows task manager, I've got 523,760 physical memory, 177,000 system cache, and 101,000 available. I've got a good load of EFS files running, and when high trade-rate symbols like ES or QQQ are loaded on multiple charts, I can get 100% CPU and eSignal freeze until the CPU queue clears. Would upping the Heap and Stack size improve performance? What heap/stack size is recommended?

Comment

The default settings are what is recommended. The only time we suggest changing these is if your are getting crashes or strange performance from EFS files. I'm not sure on your CPU issues; it could be any number of things. I would suggest going through that FAQ to narrow the possibilities down, and if that doesn't do it, then up the Heap/Stack to see if that improves things.
              Regards,
              Jay F.
              Product Manager

Comment

Thanks Jay.

"The default settings are what is recommended."

Can you confirm what the default settings are:
                Heap = ?
                Stack = ?

".. and if that doesn't do it, then up the Heap/Stack to see if that improves things."

An increase in the Heap and Stack sizes should be to what size initially:
                Heap = ?
                Stack = ?

Additional incremental size increases should be by what increments:
                Heap = ?
                Stack = ?

In edit:
                For those that don't already know, the main difference between heap and stack memory is that heap memory hosts dynamically allocated objects, while stack memory is used to model method call chain and to host local variables and method arguments. I hope that clears everything up.
                Last edited by Lancer; 11-17-2003, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Interesting. My defaults are 16384 K and 8 K.
                  I've installed 7.4 on a new 2.8 Ghz P4 w/ hyperthreading active and 512 Mb memory that only runs eSignal charts and Ensign charts on 4 monitors. Since Lancer's #'s are different from mine and I'd also like to maximize performance I'm also curious about what the default settings are and if any changes would be recomended. I trade ES and high volume stocks too but have never had any incidents of high CPU % on this new box.

Comment

Lancer, brianb
                    The defaults are 16384K and 8K
                    Alex

Comment

Working...
                    X