Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I find the root symbol for a modified option?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I find the root symbol for a modified option?

Now I got the Option Symbol in the Leader window. How can I get the underlier of the option? I can't find any underlier in quote window.
    WSHHmm

WSHHMM
    If the option appears in its short form in the Leader window (or any other window) press the F3 key and you should see the long form ie [underlying symbol] [mth][strike]
    Alex

Comment

I know that. but the long form still can't get the underliers. how can i get the underliers?
      WSHHmm

Comment

like QAV AUG32C=QAV HF, but what is QAV AUG32c's root?
        WSHHmm

Comment

hi,

[underlying symbol] [mth][strike]

the [underlying symbol] is not really underlying. for example, QAV, QDG, XZR, YKP....

Originally posted by Alexis C. Montenegro
          WSHHMM
          If the option appears in its short form in the Leader window (or any other window) press the F3 key and you should see the long form ie [underlying symbol] [mth][strike]
          Alex
          WSHHmm

Comment

When it comes to these modified option roots, we don't currently have any easy mechanism w/in eSignal to figure out the root instrument from the modified option symbol. Hopefully, we'll find a way to translate them at some point.

If you start with the root, say MSFT, then right-click for an Options Chain, you'll see all the modified opts listed. Not much help if you see one of the modified options in the leaders window but wanted to be sure you knew about that feature. Now, onto figuring these out...

QAV turns out to be part of the option series for QQQ. How did I figure that out? Best way I know is to go to the CBOE symbol directory site and click on Symbol Directory Download (1 mb .csv file). Then, using the "find" function of Excel, search for the option root in question and you should jump to the listing and it's underlying root. Aside from QAV, I found each of your other examples as well:

QDG=DIGE (Digene Corp.)
            XZR=EP (El Paso Corporation)
            YKP=EP (El Paso Corporation)

Hope that helps.

Thanks.

PS. I changed the title of this thread because it's actually a very good question and other users likely wonder the same thing.

Comment

A copy of the file mentioned by Scott is available in zipped format here
              Alex

Comment

Working...
              X