eSignal bug: drawing on the previous bar instead of a new bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eSignal bug: drawing on the previous bar instead of a new bar

If I open an advanced chart before the opening bell, the new data is drawn on the previous bar instead of a new bar. Therefore a lot of APIs such as getClose(0, -1, ...) etc. all return wrong results unless I restart the esignal after the trading hour is started. You may test this on ($SPX, D) using Dynamic template. This is quite a annoying because I have to restart eSignal after 9:30am at least once to make it work a propriately. I wonder whether all other indicators based on daily HLC values shall work correctly if eSignal is not restarted after 9:30am. If so, be aware, traders!

clearpicks

I have noted this also this week (of course, this is happening to all of my open daily charts.) I don't have to restart eSignal but need to refresh the charts for them to correct (e.g., begin a new daily bar).

Comment

AllenCook,

Yes, you are right. Refreshing may work, but with so many charts open, restarting is a fasdter way to solve the problem. I have had this problem since a long time ago. Since my trading system is pretty finalized, now it is time for me to bug eSignal guys to fix quite a few bugs I have found during my one year extensive using of eSignal EFS, although for each of them I can use some tricks in my code to avoid it. For me, the correctness of those API's is much more important than the introduction of fancy GUI.

Clearpicks

Originally posted by AllenCook
      I have noted this also this week (of course, this is happening to all of my open daily charts.) I don't have to restart eSignal but need to refresh the charts for them to correct (e.g., begin a new daily bar).

Comment

Hi Clearpicks, AllenCook,

Thanks for posting on this. I agree that refreshing each chart is not the way to handle this for the long term. I'll look into whether this is on a bug list to be fixed.

In either case, I'll test this Monday morning and report my finding to QA.

Thanks,
        Andy

Comment

Hi Clearpicks, AllenCook,

O.K., I did get a chance to test this today. On the daily of $spx, I did notice that at the open a new bar was NOT drawn, but the data updated to Friday's bar. I had a couple of stock symbols up as well and each of those charts began a new bar at the market open. It may be just indices. I'll report this to our QA and do further testing of various markets again tomorrow morning.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Regards,
          Andy

Comment

Andy

I watch the ES with a tick chart and the bars from the day before are not closed until the prerequisite number of ticks occur. This seems correct to me.

Are you referring to 5 min bars? ie non tick bars

Comment

Hi David,

It seems to only happen on a daily chart. An interval starts with a new bar. On a 50T tick chart, you are right, the bar will continue building till there are 50 ticks, so that will carry over into the next day if necessary.

Thanks for your input.

Regards,
              Andy

Comment

Hi,

The main problem caused by this bug is the APIs like getValue etc. return wrong values, therefore many studies may return wrong value unless the daily charts are refreshed after the trading hours start.

clearpicks

Comment

Andy,

Do you think this is going to be fixed by the next release?

--Clearpicks

Comment

Andy,

Do you think this is going to be fixed by the next release? Thanks.

--Clearpicks

Comment

Clearpicks,

I do not know for sure that it will be fixed in the next release. It is on the bug fix list. As we approach release of the next version, I'll be informed of it's progress and will pass that information along when I have it.

Regards,
                      Andy

Comment

Working...
                      X