Loading text file into ticker window

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loading text file into ticker window

I am a newbe to eSignal and have a question about loading a symbol list from another application into an ES ticker window. Is there a way to import a list from Excel ,perhaps as a text or other file type, into ES. If not Excel, are there any applications from which you can import symbol lists.

Thanks for your help

Yes it can be done because in the Ticker Window there is an option to use the symbols of a Quote Window.

Importing the symbols in a Quote Window is done in two ways if the symbol list is a one column ascii file.

The first method is to Copy and Paste from the ascii file (or from the Excel column) to the Quote window. While this method may not always return correct results it is the most efficient.

The second method entails changing the extension of the ascii file to *.COL.
    Once the ascii file has that extension it can then be imported into a quote window by selecting File->Import *.COL in the Main Menu.
    There will be an initial error message that warns that the file could not be imported and asks if one wants to try again. Answer Yes and the
    symbol list will appear in the Quote window.

One caveat: there must be a carriage return after the last symbol in the list else the last letter of the symbol will be truncated.

Alex

Comment

Hi Don,

Thank you for your post & welcome to eSignal!

First, I want to be sure of which window you are trying to upload symbols into. Must request we have (if not all request) on this is for uploading symbols into a Qoute Window. Are you talking about the Quote window or the Ticker window?

If you have a spread sheet with symbols in a column, you can copy & paste over to a quote sheet with relative ease.

Here's a link to a thread on this over at the Yahoo groups. Rather than me retyping that here, please reference this link;
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/eSignal/message/6261

Take care!

Andy S.
      eSignal Support

Comment

Working...
      X