T&S window data loss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T&S window data loss

Whenever I switch between equities I lose data in my T&S window i.e. the data in the T&S no longer shows all trades. The lost data can be recovered by closing and restarting Esignal. The T&S window then show all trades but the problem reappears after a while, and occurs every day. I have discussed this at length with Alex in Tech Support and he could only suggest restarting Esignal to fix the problem. Clearly this is not a workable solution. Is this a bug?

I am using v7.4 build 608.
    I use Win2k, cable modem, Pentium III 500, 640Mb RAM.

Hi,

A few questions please.

Can you elaborate on the term "lose" the data? Are you changing symbols from within the time and sales window or are you linking to another window? Does the window go blank or is just some of the data missing? Does the status box change ( OK, no data, etc )?

I'll also speak to Alex tomorrow and see what he's already tried in the way of troubleshooting.

Thanks.

Comment

By "lose data" I mean that the T&S data is incomplete. All trades since the open are not listed. Trades that I had previously seen on the T&S disappear when I switch between equities. My T&S is linked to a Quote window which I use for ticker selection. If I select a new ticker and then go back to the previous one that I have been monitoring, trades that were previously on the T&S are no longer listed. A few earlier trades are listed and then the T&S lists new trades only from the time that I switch back to the monitored ticker. If I reload Esignal, the T&S becomes fully populated again. Alex suggested that this might be caused my momentary server disconnection but I am not losing any data from my charts and the problem is repeatable.

Comment

Hi,

Are you using the new Time and Sales window or the older Time and Sales function w/in Standard Charting? Both are available via the right-click, one being a sub-menu off Advanced Chart, the other off Standard Chart. Whichever one you are using, can you reproduce this problem in the other Time and Sales window?

Thanks.

Comment

I am using the new T&S window. I cannot reproduce the problem on the old T&S, which appears to work fine. For example, I just switched to ASKJ at 12:37. The new T&S only shows data up to 12:26, the old T&S shows all data up to 12:37. As new trades occur, they appear on both old and new T&S windows, leaving a gap between 12:26 and 12:37 on the new T&S. This phenomenon occurs whenever I switch between tickers, using a quote window to select my ticker.

The problem only occurs on the new T&S.

Comment

I have just switched away from ASKJ and back again at 12:47 and the gap on the new T&S is now from 12:26 to 12:47. The old T&S is fine.

In fact, the new T&S is not even updating now. The old T&S is showing new trades up to 12:52 and the new T&S is still at 12:48. Something definitely screwed.

The problem is cleared temporarily if I reload Esignal.

Switching away from a ticker and back again also causes the same trade to appear mulitple times on the new T&S window i.e. the trade occurs only once on the old T&S.
            Last edited by uktrader; 10-23-2003, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Okey doke. The additional information you provided has really helped. I think one point of confusion was that we hadn't confirmed which T&S window type you were using, hence we weren't seeing the problem here on the old T&S window.

I can now replicate the problem and it sure looks like a bug in the new T&S window to me. Here's one work-around while we address the underlying code problem. When you switch back to a symbol, simply hold the Control Key down and click the OK status box. That will send a fresh command to our servers and you'll see all the data refreshed.

Thanks for your help. Unless it's something easy, I don't know if a fix will be ready for 7.5 but I will report it today.

Thanks.

Comment

Thanks for the work-around Scott. I look forward to the fix.

David

Comment

Working...
                X