Trade calculator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trade calculator?

I would appreciate any info that one could provide. I am looking for a program or website that will track and calculate all of ones trades. Since most brokers give you a heaping mess and do not offer to track gains/losses the way they should be done.

Fibbgann
    Excellent book on JavaScript for beginners

I've created several

What would you like exactly? I have several that I've created in excel, happy to share. Let me know what you're looking for.

PJ

Comment

Here's one I made

I have a daily trade tracking excel sheet. macros need to be enabled. Feel free to share, all codes and formulae are open so use caution so as not to delete formulae. Just make a new copy of each worksheet for each day. Which file share should I put it in?

Comment

Max
        You can zip the Excel worksheet and attach the zipped file to a message in the Bulletin Board.
        If you then add some keywords to the body of the message that will make it easy for anyone to find it using Search.
        Alex

Comment

excel Trade Tracker

I also saw a need to have something simple to use for tracking my trades and accounts during the day - something that was a little more detailed than what you get from IB or Globex. So I created this Excel (.xls file) that includes most, if not all I need to compile my P&L, journal thoughts, trade analysis, risk calculations and intraday reversal periods.

To use this properly, just keep the first tab as the "template" and make a copy for each trading day.

Make sure you update the starting equity each day, or link it to the previous day. If you hold positions overnight, make sure you "mark-to-market" your trades.

Be careful not to alter any of the formulae, I've left all the formula open - you can certainly lock or protect it with your own password. An extra precaution would be to save a new tradetracker for each month, and keep one as a master template just in case.

I do have others - happy to make em too (good practice

)

Max
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Max; 11-08-2003, 03:51 PM.

Comment

for the more visually inclined

Here's how I use that spreadsheet. Just make a new journal page for each trading day.
            Attached Files

Comment

Max

This is what actually means add value to this community.
              Your *.XLS is very neat and clear, can be easily customized with differents stats and will be of great help to many partecipants.

Thanks
              Fabrizio L. Jorio Fili

Comment

Max,

Very, very nice. I've been playing with it for about the past 30 mins - thanks so much for leaving all of the code and formulas open, now I know how to write the formula to handle going short and long and I can just bury them in colums. I had never thought of doing that before.

Thanks - you could actually charge a few bucks for that, some would gladly pay it.

PJ

Comment

Thanks for the thanks

Fabrizio and PapaJohn,

Thanks for the kind words.

I forgot to mention a couple of the key things about that "calculator".
                  1. In order for it to work properly, you must make sure you input the round turn commission, not each side. That way your P&L will reflect the net of each trade and the net for the day.
                  2. If you change the symbols, as I sometimes trade options or bonds, you just need to make sure you change the point values as well - that way your calculations will be figured correctly.
                  3. If you have multiple exits from the same entry - you need to "mentally" separate those trades. For example, if you sold 4 ES at 1058 and covered 2 at 1055.50 and 2 at 1052.50 you would actually fill in two separate rows showing two separate entries (-1058). This is why I include a column for "Trade Number".
                  4. Make sure you indicate "-" and "+" correctly. Whenever you sell, it should be a negative value (whether to enter or exit a position).

Good luck with it, I hope you get much use from it.

Max

P. S. PapaJohn - you can donate whatever you feel is appropriate to the
                  Alzheimer's Association. Your gift will make a difference in the fight against a terrible disease.

Comment

Max,

Great job on spreadsheet! I've made a few modification for my system but I'm having trouble changing the CT. TYPE list. I've added a number of other contract types to the "Contract Type & Pt. Value" list but I can't figure out how to include my additional contracts in the CT. TYPE drop-down list.

I know enough excel to be dangerous but I am not an expert. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
                    Kent

Comment

mtwokay,

Glad you like.

The drop down selection is pulling the data from the cells, A8 thru A11. You do this through the Data->Validation menu in Excel.

Assuming you went "up", using rows 1 thru 6 to add your contract types need to change where the CT. TYPE cells look for the data. Highlight all of the cells containing CT. TYPE (B19:B32) go -> Data->Validation->Settings then plug in the appropriate range of cells that contain your list items.

You'll probably need to also change the formulas in the hidden columns (P thru S) to contain the appropriate IF statements.

Good luck. If you need a lot more help than that, you can post your spreadsheet with the list of items needed and I'll work on it for ya.

Max

Comment

Max,

I did as you instructed and everything worked fine till i got to the hidden columns. Since I have several contract types, I changed the formula for the Profit /Loss column as shown below to simplify the calculation:

=LOOKUP(B20,$A$5:$A$12,$C$5:$C$12)-D20*Commission

Thanks again for your help,
                        Kent

Comment

Slight modification to Profit / Loss formula:

=IF(B22<>"",LOOKUP(B22,$A$5:$A$12,$C$5:$C$12)-D22*Commission,0)

Comment

mtwokay,

As you probably know, spreadsheets usually evolve from smaller pieces (at least mine do) - so I didn't ever feel the need to use the "Lookup" function since I started using this (or earlier version) of trade tracker before needing more than one or two symbols with varying point values.

When I read your formula, I don't see the accounting for the number of contracts or any multiplier for the total accumulated points on that trade - so I've altered your function to read - =IF(B19<>"",LOOKUP(B19,$A$5:$A$12,$C$5:$C$12)*M19-(D19*$L$10),0) - that should eliminate the need for the hidden colums and still return the correct result in P&L.

Thanks for pointing that out - BTW - not an Excel expert here either

Max

Comment

Thanks for fixing the bug in the formula. Just goes to show how much I tested

Kent

Comment

Working...
                              X