Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with LINE CHARTS

Hello,

I have some serious problems with line charts in Esignal!!!

Look at the following:
    http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=^GSPC&t=1d

This is a line chart from yahoo finance. I try to set up a similar line chart in esignal but without success.

The problem is the following: Every time I chose an advanced line chart (intraday) for, let's say, the S&P 500 index, I get a very choppy, condensed chart which shows at most 20 ups and downs in price change within the first 2 hours trading. I use a 1-minute chart.

I think the problem here is that in line charts Esignal only draws price changes every minute or so, whereas even yahoo finance seems to draw new lines every couple seconds or when price changes occur. What can I do about it?

This is very bothersome and so far the line charts in Esignal are a real drawback.

(I know and I use bar and candlesticks for most of my analysis, however, I also need a decent line chart). Can this be accomplished through EFS or the like? Please, any help in this regard is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

Matt
    You can make the charts look any which way you want.
    Here below a comparison of the Yahoo chart and an equivalent eSignal line chart (inclusive of the red previous Close line)

As to frequency of updates the $SPX is updated every 15 seconds as per the exchange (CBOE)
    Alex
    Last edited by ACM; 11-06-2003, 02:22 AM.

Comment

How do you setup such chart

Hi Alexis,

wonderful, exactly what I am looking for. How did you set it up? Also, how did you addt he close line? Through javascript?

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Matt

Comment

Matt
        If you give me a bit of time I will set a chart up and post it to my group so that you can download it from there.
        Yes the red line was created using the Prev Close.efs that is in the OHLC subfolder of Formulas. I then substituted the color of the line from blue to red.
        Alex

Comment

Wonderful

Alexis,

cool, thanks a lot. You know, I descibed the same thing to staff at the live rep chat but they could not help. You seem to be very knowledgable with Esignal. How did you learn that. Is there some documents to start out with? The documention seems to be quite outdated (still Version 7.0) is there anything you could point me to in order to better learn to customize Esignal?

Thanks,

Matt

Comment

Matt
            The chart is now available here. Save it to your eSignal folder. I did not embed the efs as you should have the same one in the OHLC folder of Formulas. If no red line appears let me know and I will post another chart with the efs embedded
            Answers to your questions follow in a short while.
            Alex

Comment

Matt
              A good source of information is in the manual that is available here.
              Also very useful are the Audio/Video Training tutorials at eSignal University
              Hope this helps
              Alex

Comment

Yes,

that helps (although the manuals do not include any changes after Version 7.0 as far as I am aware).

But thanks a lot for helping me with my line charts and pointing me into the right direction.

Greetings to Italy (if I read correctly).

Matt

Comment

Working...
                X