Problem with Intraday Charts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with Intraday Charts

Hi. I'm using Esignal 7.5 and I have a disturbing problem.

the last bar of every intraday chart show me an incorrect closing price. An example : today's AMAT close is 23.52 in Esignal's Quote windows.. however the 3:55 closing price of a 5-minute charts shows me a closing price of 23.48 . I get 23.48 as well for the 3:59 1-minute chart closing price.. same goes for every other intraday chart.. and it happens with every stock!
    The Opening price of every first bar in an intraday bar of that day shows correctly , ususally! so it's not my computer clock having a sync problem. Problem is only with the very last trade price.. or at least that's what it seems .. because I can't really verify the closing price of every other intraday bar except by comparing it to a time&sales chart.. and that is somewhat tedious...
    Btw, Daily charts show fine!
    I believe that has something to do with my computer time which the intraday charts go by, although my computer time is synchronized using the Atomic Clock application from www.worldtimeserver.com

Besides, I really think Esignal should implement an internal clock of its own.. that's the only positive thing Qcharts has over Esignal. Qcharts uses the time from its own server and not the user's computer time.. that assures the charts accuracy..
    I had to change my computer time to EST because I like watching the charts at the EST and not at my own time zone...

I contacted someone from Esignal staff regarding this , they're supposed to get back to me in a few days..but was wondering if anyone knows how to get through this in case they can't help.
    So if anyone has any idea how to solve this problem , it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Dana Berliner
    Last edited by dberliner; 01-05-2004, 05:51 PM.

Dana
    Assuming that the Time Template being used reflects the RTH of the symbol you are plotting, the intraday close will show the last print during RTH. The value that is in the Quote Window (and in the Snapshot Window) instead includes the settlement that is posted by the exchange after the close. That is also the value that is shown in the Daily charts.
    Alex

Comment

Hello Alex,

Indeed I'm referring to my Eastern Standard Time RTH Display.

The problem is not specific to the "official" closing price, but happens at the opening as well... are there differences between the first settlement at 9:30 and the first print of that day?
      I added a "Today's Open" EFS and sometime the differnces are quite noticable.. "official" open of 22.30,for example, while the 9:30 bar opening price is at 22.41...

Maybe I'm missing something here.. but I'm comparing those bars to bars in my other charting software (Qcharts) ,and there the quote window's opening price is indeed the opening price of the first bar, same goes for the closing price of the last bar. Ofcourse Qcharts is very unreliable in their streaming data feed, that's why I switched.. However, this thing puzzles me..
      perhaps an image can assist me in explaining myself.
      look at the differences...

Thanks,

Dana Berliner
      Attached Files
      Last edited by dberliner; 01-06-2004, 04:14 AM.

Comment

Hi Dana,

Can you check to make sure that your PC is set to Eastern Standard Time? Based on your screenshot, it seems that it's not as the AMAT is stopping it's activity at 13:00 (i.e. the time the markets close in PST.) To double-check your Time Zone, please double-click your system clock, and click on the Time Zone tab.
        Attached Files
        Regards,
        Jay F.
        Product Manager

Comment

Hi , italians clients are angries!! don't have any support and our charts intraday are not good for work. What we can do? when this problems area going to finish? what we must to do? (CLEAR I'M NOT LONELY, I'm writing FOR OTHERs italians clients too)

wE HAVE intraday DATA for Idem Market not correct .what we can do? we are waiting from mounths that al gone all right .....

mr. Del Corona is never present on the forum and nobody is helping us .......

is my 2* post for U' mr. JayF

dOmenico
          Last edited by sharky1; 01-08-2004, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Jay,

The day I posted in the snapshot was 12/26/03 ... that was a shortened trading day.. that is why the charts ends at 13:00.

My computer is indeed set to Eastern Standard Time and it is synchronized to the second as well!
            Here is another snapshot of AMAT . Again , this happens with every other stock ...there are changed in the charts from the official open as well as the official close..

here it is ...
            Attached Files
            Last edited by dberliner; 01-08-2004, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Dana,

The cause of this relates to the way intraday charts work. If you take a look at the below Time and Sales, you'll see some FormT trades (pre-market trades) being posted from the exchange after 6:30am PST. The chart is including anything after 6:30:00, even the FormT trades. The Open as posted by the Today's Open EFS uses the Daily Chart's data. The Daily Chart uses the exchanges official OHLC, which nearly always does not include the FormT data.

I hope this explains the discrepancy. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Regards,
              Jay F.
              Product Manager

Comment

Thanks, Jay.

1) I understand..

But is there any way whatsoever to program the intraday charts to disregard Form T trades?

I know other charting softwares don't display them on their charts..

2) Also, How would you explain discrepancies in prices of the CLOSING price between the intraday chart and the official OHLC, which I seem to notice as well. Form T after-market trades can not begin to appear before 4:00 PM EST, can they ?

3) Looking at the Time & Sales Chart you posted .. the first trade of 6:30 PST was 22.59 , so how come this is not the opening price of the intraday bar?
                does the system understand that the Form T preceded this trade?and if it logically does, isn't it supposed to be disregarded alltogether?

Thanks,

Dana Berliner
                Last edited by dberliner; 01-08-2004, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Hi JayF,

the Idem (italian futures market) clients are many problem with intraday charts (data errors, differents for the different intraday charts time). When we could hope restart to work normally?

Comment

1) No way yet to disregard FormT trades from a chart. Part of the intention of Time Templates is to do this, but when FormT's cross the 9:30 line, then that's where this solution falters. I'll drop that suggestion to our Product Development Team to consider for future enhancement.

2) The discrepancy is due to the fact that quite often the official closing price is based on a trade that might have been sent from the exchange a few seconds after the closing bell. Since intraday charts just plot the data based on the times given to them in Time Templates, then this type of discrepancy can appear.

3) It's likely that on the server I was on, that 22.59 was the opening price of that bar. Since 22.58 was the opening of your first bar it's safe to assume that the 22.59 trade was time stamped at 9:29:59 on that server and the next trade @ 22.58 was time stamped at 9:30:00. We are working on finishing up a new version of our servers that will sync them all up under one Time Stamp, so this discrepancy will no longer be seen. I believe we're still on track for an end of January release.
                    Regards,
                    Jay F.
                    Product Manager

Comment

Sharky,

We have found the problem and a possible solution, and should have a fix out in the next few weeks to correct the IDEM discrepancies. We'll be able to better confirm this once the servers are upgraded.
                      Regards,
                      Jay F.
                      Product Manager

Comment

can U' tell me a date?

Comment

Thanks Jay!

I understand..

The new feature you've mentioned for a late- January release is something long overdue, as far as I'm concerned...
                          A cross-platform sync system , where each and every computer which runs Esignal will be synchronized to the same second (each computer with its respective time zone , but adjusted to the same Greenwich time) , will eliminate those discrepencies from further happening...

I look forward to that release !

Thank you,

Dana Berliner

Comment

Originally posted by sharky1
                            can U' tell me a date?
                            At this point, I don't have a hard date available. Data accuracy is of high importance to us, and getting this fixed is in turn of high priority. Just to clarify, the item I was referring to is the inaccuracies seen in the intraday charts for the IDEM futures.
                            Regards,
                            Jay F.
                            Product Manager

Comment

Working...
                            X