Save Current Layout? >Crash! >Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Save Current Layout? >Crash! >Help!

I'm running ESignal 7.5 and am attempting to install it for the first time. After a successful install, when I try to open the program, it will appear to open normally. As soon as the program opens, it closes right away. I get the "Save current layout?" message and no matter what I choose the program just closes.

The Data manager stays open and seems to be running fine.

This happens on both Win2k and WinXP.

Both machines are up to spec.

Any ideas would be appreciated!!!

Thanks.

It sounds like you have a bad layout file.

Try loading again and when it asks you to save the current layout file, select yes. Then go into the eSignal directory and find the layout file which was updated most recently. Rename that file.

Then try and start again. You should get it to open, but it will be blank. Go to Layout and select a new layout.
    Attached Files

Comment

Steve,

Good Clue!

When I rename the Layout file it does open blank.

I can choose a new layout or an advanced chart and open it.

I see the program receiving data and the program works fine for about five seconds. So, I think I see that I am logging on ok.

Now the program closes with "Save current page?" each time after about five seconds

I tried renaming the page file [.pg] but it does the same thing.

Thanks for your help!

John

Comment

John,

It sounds like there are other problems there. It is interesting but this is beyond me. There are some really knowledgable people on the board, hopefully someone will have a clue as to where to go next, otherwise you will have to go to Technical Support, they will be able to fix you up!

Regards,

Comment

Thanks Steve!!!

Comment

page1,

I suspect the Winsig.ini or Winsig.exe did not install properly. I would suggest running a complete uninstall and reinstall per these instructions. Please let us know how it turns out.
            Regards,
            Jay F.
            Product Manager

Comment

same problem with v7.6

I'm having the same problem with a fresh install of v7.6. I tried the reinstall procedure as documented in this thread but that did not fix the problem. I'm running XP home edition.

Another clue: eSignal runs OK without crashing if I am NOT connected to the internet. If I lock out internet activity with ZoneAlarm, I can run eSignal without a crash. However, when I remove ZoneAlarm's lock, eSignal crashes in about 5 seconds. Sometimes it asks if I want to save the layout as it closes. The data manager window stays open and says it is "operating normally." But the main eSignal program window will not stay open for more than about 5 seconds if my internet connection is open.

Is it possible to get an older version of eSignal to see if the problem is new in 7.6?

Thanks,
              jammer

Comment

Hi Jammer,

I am sending you a private message as where to download eSignal 7.5.

Comment

Thanks for the link to version 7.5. It did not solve my problem however.

The same thing happens with 7.5 as with 7.6, the program terminates within 5 seconds of being connected to the internet. Any ideas? I've never had this kind of problem with any software before, not even with microsoft products! :-)

Thanks,
                  jammer

Comment

One other idea, open task manager and open the processes window. Startup eSignal, report back to the thread which application is using all the cpu % and crashing each time if possible.

Comment

The system idle process is always the highest percentage. It's difficult to see since the crash happens so quickly. I have seen winsig.exe and winros.exe listed but never more than 5-6% each.

And as stated below, eSignal runs without crashing if not connected to the internet.

Regards,
                      jammer

Comment

Well, I am just shotgunning this, so FWIW, there may be problem with eSignal Data Manager and Zone Alarm. I would try disabling zone alarm. If you are on a router, you may consider hooking up directly without the router for purposes of testing.

Comment

btw, do each separately, then try together.

Comment

Sorry, but I will _not_ disable my firewall. I have never had a problem where zoneAlarm affected the operation of any piece of software and if I ever do, I simply won't use that software. Firewalls have become a necessary part of today's PC configuration and software vendors must take that into account. Also, a firewall or router should only impede the communication part of a piece of software, not its ability to execute. If software can't or won't run because it can't communicate, that would be another reason that I don't want to use that software.

BTW, eSignal data manager works fine with 4XmadeEasy software.

Comment

Iwas just suggesting for a second to see if there was some sort of interaction... but knowing now that data manager works with other software, I do not see the need either. Quite a tough nut to crack I would say!

Comment

Working...
                              X