Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moving Average display and calculations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving Average display and calculations?

I would like to have the moving averages on an advanced chart displayed at all times, along with the rate of change, either on the chart itself or in a separate box.

In a different charting program (ErlangerQuote) I was able to do this using the formula:
    MOV(C, 15, 0, 3) - MOV(C, 15, 3, 3)
    which essentially took the moving average of the current candle and subtracted the moving average value from three candles prior to get the rate of change. Rising was a positive number, falling was a negative number. Cells could even be color coded.

However, after much experimentation I cannot find a way to do this with eSignal. I am not even able to constantly display the current moving average value on the chart either with the cursor window or snapshot. I must be missing something somewhere.....

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW using eSignal v7.1

to get the ma value in the cursor window

add the ma to the chart

right click the cursor window, select the ma

You need an efs file to subtract the ma's and return the result to the chart.

Jason K. from eSignal always refers requests to the following link
    Last edited by dloomis; 01-28-2003, 05:47 PM.

Comment

I do have the ma on my chart, and in the cursor window. Problem is the cursor window does not display what the ma is at the current time, only whereever the cursor last was. The snapshot I cannot figure out at all. The eSignal help function states "Select Snapshot to take a snapshot of the active Advanced Chart window". ???

There's got to be a simple way to at least display a chart's current moving average (say 15ma) updated at all times. I figured the ma rate of change would be a bit more complicated.

I have submitted a formula request to esignal in the past, and heard nothing back.

Comment

try right clicking on the right margin where the prices are and select ma

Comment

jjohnstn

I do have the ma on my chart, and in the cursor window. Problem is the cursor window does not display what the ma is at the current time, only whereever the cursor last was

That is correct. The Cursor Window shows you the values of the bar and whatever indicators at the point in time in which the cursor is located.

The snapshot I cannot figure out at all

The Snapshot Window (which in the attached image is visible just above the Cursor Window) shows you the OHLC, Net Change and % Change for the daily values.

The eSignal help function states "Select Snapshot to take a snapshot of the active Advanced Chart window". ???

The eSignal Snapshot which the Help function is referring is a totally different thing from the Snapshot Window despite the similar name.
          The eSignal Snapshot is an applet that is used to capture images - such as the one attached to this message.

There's got to be a simple way to at least display a chart's current moving average (say 15ma) updated at all times.

In the attached image I point to where the current value of the MA is. If for any reason you do not see it there then right click on the Price Axis and make sure there is a check mark near the appropriate MA.

Hope this helps

Alex
          Attached Files

Comment

Alexis and dloomis,

Many thanks for your help here. While the ma can be displayed in the price axis, it is often concealed by the price, other ma's or bollinger bands. I have attached a screenshot of the eSignal chart plus a similar chart using ErlangerQuote with comments in black text.

Even if the ma value and rate of change was displayed in a separate box instead of the chart itself, that would be okay too. Just trying to figure out a way to do it.
            Attached Files

Comment

jjohnstn

I see what you are saying. It looks like in ErlangerQuoite the snapshot window gives you the current state of the indicators.

While I don't believe you can replicate that specific snapshot window on eSignal you do have some options available that might be of help.
              If you don't care to see some of the labels on the Price Pane you can always deselect them. Just right click on the Price Pane and click to uncheck the indicators you do not wish to see.
              Also if you move the cursor to the right of the last bar the values shown in the Cursor Window are those of the last bar and of all the indicators.
              If you do not have any space to the right of the last bar you can always add some by going to the Chart Properties (right click on chart and select Properties and then set Right Margin).
              Hope this helps

Alex

Comment

Working...
              X