Backtest Bug?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backtest Bug?

In the release candidate I have noticed that parameters to formulas are being ignored and the default value is getting used instead. This was not the case in prior builds. And the indicator itself changes properly when the parameter is changed. For example the default is 21 bar. If I enter 7 the indicator updates properly visually. Running the backtest and entering 7 yields the results one gets with the default.

This is kind of a big problem for me as I happen to be right in the middle of doing some pretty serious tests. Any help would be much appreciated.

BackTest Bug Confirmed in 7.2r

Folks,

I downloaded the release version of 7.2 and confirmed that the same problem exists. Any attempt to enter a param just get ignored in the backtester even though it is showing up properly visually.

The workaround of course is to copy and hardwire each of the bar versions I want to test.

Can someone please confirm this one for me with their choice of indicator/strategy that takes optional params? Thanks.

Comment

Hi Deepfoo,

Can you post the formula you are using here so that we can test it with that? Or is there a specific formula that we provide which will give us the result that you are talking about?

Thanks,
      Andy S.
      eSignal Support

Comment

Re: Reply to post 'Backtest Bug?'

Actually just try any strategy file that takes an optional bars param. I'd
        like to see if you can recreate the issue with another file first to make
        sure it is not something here. However I ran the backtests on this very
        same efs on prior betas and did not have this problem prior to the release
        candidate or the release version. I recall there was a major bug fix of the
        Analyzer from build 531. Perhaps that is where the issue lies.

At 10:22 AM 1/30/03 -0800, you wrote:
        >Hello deepfoo,
        >
        >~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        >

Comment

Hi deepfoo,

I think this is the way the backtester has always been. Regardless of what parameter were entered on the chart, the BT uses it's own copy of the formula and does not apply the parameters from the chart.

We'll look into this and try to find a better solution.

m.
          Matt Gundersen

Comment

Working...
          X