Tick Charts Crashing on Startup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tick Charts Crashing on Startup

I'm seeing program crashes when tick charts load data. It's particularly consistent when eSignal is started prior to 8:00 AM ET, (prior to start of stocks data). Problems existed with tick charts loading data in the earlier 7.2 betas (no data, no volume in the volume pane, studies flatlined, etc.), but it did not crash the program. The solution was a server redirect via live rep, and refresh of the tick chart. Now with the final 7.2 installed, the program crashes every morning so far (and I lose all my line work on standard charts). (Would like to use advanced charts for diagonal line work so it can be saved, but advanced charts drop all no-volume periods, so the x-axis is skewed; but that's another issue).

So, until there's a fix, I've removed the tick chart from the layout, and I'm only opening that after 8:00 AM ET.

Crash = "Winsig.exe has generated errors and will be closed . . .", program unresponsive, CPU at continuous 100%.

I reported the problem to Live Rep in the betas, and I reported the problem with the final 7.2. I deleted Winsig.ini, Winros.ini, Reader.ini, and Ch.new, and reinstalled 7.2, but no change. Tick chart time template is 24 hr, dynamic mode.

2/3 AM Update:
    Starting eSignal without a tick chart in the layout, then opening the tick chart after 8:00 ET resulted in a partial display of data and then eSignal crash "Winsig.exe has generated errors and will be closed. . ." Restarting the program again without the tick chart, then adding the tick chart a second time resulted in a much faster load of data and no crash problems. There's definitely an issue with tick charts loading data on initial startup.

Hi Lancer,

I'll get with our early shift to begin testing this prior to 5am pst. We haven't received any other complaints on this (anyone else experiencing this, please post here), so it may not be easily reproduced. Perhaps if you could send me your layout, we could test using that. You could either email it to me or post it to my file share site - Andys Group.

Thanks,
    Andy

Comment

Tick Charts crashing etc

Andy S,

Please see my posts under "Beta" in "some bugs report" thread. I'm still waiting for a response on this and other problems I described early last week.

Thanks,
      Bob A.

Comment

7.2 crashing

As soon as I open the 7.2 with a few charts it crashes and gives me the same ws error message. I have been beta testing till build 531 and never had any problem. I don't use tick charts.

The error message is

Crash = "Ws has encountered a problem and needs to close . . .",
        Application name winsig.exe

Also in the ws log I get the following

Feb 03 12:47:09 ReloadDB rc=0 [C:\Program Files\eSignal\SPECS.TAB] nCal=25, nTZ=0, nExg=0, nClass=0, nInst=0
        Feb 03 13:25:10 ReloadDB rc=0 [C:\Program Files\eSignal\SPECS.TAB] nCal=25, nTZ=29, nExg=34, nClass=1208, nInst=175
        Feb 03 13:35:25 ReloadDB rc=0 [C:\Program Files\eSignal\SPECS.TAB] nCal=25, nTZ=29, nExg=34, nClass=1245, nInst=175

I called in for help and they told me to clean install 7.2 which I did and still the same problem

Kiri

Comment

I have just upgraded to 7.2 build 7 and I am finding the product to be unstable on tick charts as well.

During the upgrade, I chose not to allow the upgrade to overwrite my layout and this may explain the instability. I considered that the 7.1 layout may not be compatible with the 7.2 release.

However, when I have created a new layout and new charts to replicate my layout, I have been unable to get the software to draw a tick chart at all. If I select an interval in minutes the chart draws OK, but a 150 tick chart fails to draw a single candle after 15 minutes of waiting.

7.2 build 7 is not suitable for use in Trading and I am glad that I have Ensign to do my charting.

The playback mode is very unimpressive compared to Ensign, which records the individual ticks from the time and sales and then plays the chart just like the chart drew in the trading day. eSignal is only capable of drawing a completed candle, which is far inferior to the Ensign's method of replaying ticks rather than completed candles.

I would like to drop Ensign and move over to eSignal as my charting application, but eSignal 7.2 still has too many problems in its user interface. The poor stability and the apparant failure to handle tick charts only strengthens my disapointment in the product.

This is a shame as I much prefer the formula language of eSignal to Ensign and the ability to do studies on studies is very welcome, but eSignal remains more of a toy than a trading tool.

pawnbroker

Comment

Opened layout, then separately opened the tick chart with stock symbol prior to 8:00 AM ET. Tick chart showed continuous "Loading Data" in panes while cursor window showed green "OK". Refreshed tick chart and "Loading Data" cleared; got green "OK". All looked good, so I went ahead and started line work on standard charts.

After 8:00 start of stocks data, before tick chart studies have enough bars of data to display lines, eSignal crashes; "Winsig.exe has generated errors and will be closed . . ". Lost all my line work on standard charts.

Restarted eSignal, loaded tick chart separately; got 100% CPU, eSignal unreponsive, then crash again.

Restarted eSignal, loaded tick chart separately. Tick chart loads very quickly this time and displays data almost instantly. No 100% CPU, no extended "Loading Data". All stable now.

So, after a week of trying variations, this is what works: Can open eSignal prior to 8:00 ET, but can't do any line work on standard charts, or work will be lost when the tick chart is opened. After 8:00 ET, save any work on advanced charts, then open the tick chart. eSignal will then crash. Restart, and let crash again. On the third restart and load of the tick chart, the tick chart will load correctly and will be stable for the rest of the day.

Comment

Hi Lancer,

O.K., I'll try those steps as well. I missed the 5am pst time period. I did open a tick chart shortly afterwards and then exited eSignal with no problems. We'll run the steps you outlined below in replicating.

Are you on 7.2 build 544?

Andy

Comment

Yes, 7.2 Build 544. After getting those inital data loading crashes out of the way, then no problem the rest of the day for that symbol.

Comment

Fast-scrolling (Ctrl + Left Arrow) the chart back in time to a point where the scroll stops and no data displays will also crash eSignal.
                  Last edited by Lancer; 02-05-2003, 05:02 AM.

Comment

Build 544 crashes as soon as I open or create an advanced chart.

CB

Comment

My bad:

Got esignal_71r1.exe and esignal_72r1.exe mixed up.

Comment

I can provide the Win2000 DrWatson log on these crashes if it would be helpful in debugging the problem.

Meanwhile, here's what works: For US stock symbols, to avoid crashing in 7.2, tick charts with studies should only be opened after 8:00 AM ET, and then only after enough time has passed to allow accumulation of enough tick data to fill out the chart and display all studies properly. If the tick chart is opened before there is enough data available to fill out the chart, 7.2 will crash. Also, at any time of day, do not scroll backwards to a point where there is no data, or 7.2 will crash.
                        Last edited by Lancer; 02-06-2003, 05:52 AM.

Comment

Re: Reply to post 'Tick Charts Crashing on Startup'

Lancer
                          One thing you may want to try is the following.
                          Open a Chart Window (not an Advanced Chart).
                          Then click on the Properties icon or go to Chart Options->Properties on the
                          Main Menu.
                          Go to the General Tab and check what is the number of days being requested.
                          If it is 1 you may want to set it to 2 or perhaps 3. This should force an
                          intial download of ticks for more than one day even in Advanced Charts which
                          might be enough to cover what is requested by the studies.
                          As an aside I am not experiencing the same problem[s] you are even though I
                          have the number of days set to 1 and when I scroll back to where there is no
                          data it just sends a new request for data and downloads it.
                          Also what tick charts are you using? Tick/bars? If so how many ticks/bar?
                          Could you post your Layout to FileShare?
                          Alex

Comment

Hi Lancer,

I did get to check this today just before the open. I didn't have this problem. We'll keep trying. One day does not make a trend!

If you could try Alexis suggestion as well and see if that does anything. Also, if you could upload your layout to one of my fileshare sites (preferable Andys Group), maybe it'll help us reproduce by using your layout.

Thanks,
                            Andy

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I use several standard charts, from 3 to 60 days, so that's covered. Tick charts are 5 sec., Candle, Dynamic, 0:00-24:00. I'll email you a chart.

Comment

Working...
                              X