Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High CPU usage and effects

I just found this forum...
    I've been having problems with high CPU loading since December and never associated it with eSignal. I'd looked for worms, trojans, swapped video cards, etc. and had convinced myself there was something internally at fault in my motherboard. The problem affected all programs (Outlook extremely slow to open e-mail, Excel, etc.) - even immediately following a power-up boot in with nothing else (eSignal) running.
    Found the thread about deleting the line tools and did that. My 4 ach files went from around 200KB to about 8-15KB and the high CPU problem is gone!! :-)
    The part I found most interesting is that this solved the problem for the other programs too - whether eSignal is running or not. Out of my realm here (not a computer type), but does that mean eSignal was using some portion of memory and not releasing it (I'm using XP Pro)? If so, there may be a lot of folks like me that haven't made the connection and are having similar problems and need to hear about this.
    Mark

Hi Mark,

What version of eSignal are you currently running? We had a known CPU issue on previous builds/releases. I believe we finally fixed that on build 511, which may have been an early 7.2 beta.

Either case, version 7.2 build 544 was released towards end of January. I haven't heard about high CPU or Freezing since the early beta release.

You can download 7.2 here.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Regards,
    Andy S.
    eSignal Support

Comment

Thanks Andy...
      The problem occured while using 7.2 build 544 (I had used the beta and upgraded to build 544 as soon as it was available).
      My ach files were definitely large with lots of lines to mark past trades that were probably up to 16000 bars in the past using a 1 minute time frame. (240KB ach files, 3-4 open at a time that still had the lines if I scrolled back in time to look at them)
      The fact that it affected the whole system even though eSignal wasn't running or had been opened since a "cold" boot was what bothered me and had me wasting time looking for other problems.
      Everything's running fine now that I cleaned up the ach files by removing the lines - glad I found it. I'll let you know if it comes up again.
      Does the fact that Outlook was extremely slow opening e-mail, whether eSignal was running or not, before I deleted the lines in my ach files and running fine after the "cleanup" point you toward some "memory leak" that wasn't being reclaimed or something? (Out of my league here and may sound dumb...)

Thanks for your time.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by mholstius
        Does the fact that Outlook was extremely slow opening e-mail, whether eSignal was running or not, before I deleted the lines in my ach files and running fine after the "cleanup" point you toward some "memory leak" that wasn't being reclaimed or something? (Out of my league here and may sound dumb...)
        Hi Mark,

Thanks for the update. Your question is a bit above me as well. I'll put it in front of the engineers for their thoughts.

Take care,
        Andy

Comment

Working...
        X