Alert window popup from Quote lists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alert window popup from Quote lists

A quirky thing happens in my Quote list. In some ticker symbols in which I've set high and/or low price alerts, if I double click on the Last price, the Edit/Delete Alert window will pop up. This seems to work consistenly for some symbols, but not for others, yet I use the same format for each alert. Any idea why sometimes it won't work?

shaeffer
    That may depend on how the alerts were set up. If the Daily High/Low field was selected then double clicking Last will not open the alert dialog box. For that to happen you would need to set the alert using the Last Price field. Also you should see a small letter H or L in the top or bottom right corner of the High, Low or Last cells depending on which alert was defined
    If you want to see all the alerts set up for a symbol then right click anywhere in the row of that symbol and select Set Alerts->Others or select View->Alerts from the main menu.
    Alex

Comment

Hi Alex

All my alerts are based on the Last Price field, where I do see the 'H' and 'L'. In the image below, both ebay and amzn have alerts based on Last Price. The boxes checked in the Edit/Delete Alert box in each case are identical. I used Set Alerts>Others and Control 'A' to verify that there is only one set of high/low alerts set for each of these symbols. Yet I can double click on the amzn Last price, and the Edit/Delete Alert window pops up, but I double click on ebay, and the Alert window will not pop up.

I've got 24 Last alerts set up, all in the same format. Double clicking 19 of them will open the Alert window, but 5 will not. It doesn't seem to matter whether the alert has triggered or not. I can't see any differences to explain why some work and others don't. Any ideas?

Regards
      shaeffer
      Attached Files

Comment

shaeffer
        One possible reason could be that you created those alerts while using a different Layout (or Page) and did not check Apply Alerts to All Layouts.
        To verify this open the Alert Edit/Status dialog box (View->Alerts) select the alert of one of the symbols that will not open when double clicked and click Edit to open the Edit/Delete Alert window.
        Alex

Comment

Hi Alex,

I have 'Apply Alerts to All Layouts' checked in all my alerts.

I tried a few things with some interesting results. I deleted the ebay alert from my Alert list, then re-entered it by right clicking in the quote list. Then double clicking Last in the quote list opened the ebay alert window (whereas before it wouldn't).

Then I input ebay to a 2nd quote list. The 'H' and 'L' appeared automatically as they should. But double clicking Last in the 2nd quote list would not open the Alert window. I deleted ebay from the 1st quote list, and still dbl clicking in the 2nd would not open the Alert window.

I re-input ebay to the original quote window, and dbl clicking worked. So it seems the 'rule' is that dbl clicking Last in a quote list to open an alert window only works from the quote list in which the alert was originally entered. Quirky, but now I know, that's ok.
          ----------------------------------------------
          Writing down alerts I've set on a piece of paper seems archaic. I've asked Todd's group to add a tiny popup to show alert values set when the cursor is placed over 'Last', but no luck so far. That's why all the dbl clicking above ... fyi.

Thanks for your help in working through this

Regards
          shaeffer

Comment

shaeffer

So it seems the 'rule' is that dbl clicking Last in a quote list to open an alert window only works from the quote list in which the alert was originally entered

That does not seem to be what I am experiencing here.
            Try creating two new Quote Windows and insert the same symbols in both. Then apply some alerts (no matter which type) to some of the symbols in either window. You should see those alerts immediately applied also to the same symbols in the other Quote Window and you should also be able to double click the appropriate cells in either Quote Window and open the alert(s).
            If you now create a third Quote window and add the same symbols you should be able to do the same in that one too.
            If those alerts were applied to all Layouts and you now open another Layout (or Page) and create a new Quote Window with some of the same symbols double clicking the relevant cells will open the Edit/Delete Alert window.
            If this is not happening when the alerts are added to your original Quote Window then it could be that it got somehow corrupted. In that case you may want to delete all the alerts and create them from scratch in a new Quote Window.
            Alex

Comment

Hi Alex,

It looks like you are right about some corruption in either my existing quote windows or alerts. Because as you say, when I open two brand new quote windows and enter symbols and alerts, I can dbl click in either quote window to open the Edit/Delete window.

If I enter a symbol into the new quote window, that is already in an existing quote window with alert, dbl clicking does not work. But if I enter a new symbol & alert into the new quote window, then add the symbol to my existing quote windows, dbl clicking does work. So yes, some corruption in my existing quote windows or alerts.

To keep the same format in my five quote windows, I had copied and renamed them - maybe that's where the corruption occurred. But as long as I don't move a symbol with alert from one to another existing quote window, dbl clicking works, so since its a bunch of work to create and format new quote windows, I'll leave them as is and hope its not creating hidden problems.

Thanks again
              shaeffer

Comment

Working...
              X