Multi-monitors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multi-monitors

I hope everyone doesn't mind but I have a monitor question.

My computer has an on-board AGP card, 1 AGP slot and 2 PCI slots.

Currently, I have 2 Matrox dual monitor PCI cards installed (2 monitors per card = 4 total) and 1 monitor attached to the AGP on board card (5 total).

I was wondering if I could disconnect the on -board AGP card and add a dual AGP card. Thus, creating 3 dual monitor cards.

Comments would be appreciated.

Bruce

if your motherboard does have an agp slot in addition to the onboard agp, you should be able to go into the bios and disable the onboard agp.

Comment

I agree that you can probably do it. However, it all depends upon your specific MB. If you don't have the manual for your MB you should be able to get one at the manufacturer's web site. Your answer should be in there. Who knows, you may be able to go to 13 monitors.

Comment

Just dropping in my opinion from experience on this one. Running that many cards usually leads to an overload on the motherboard(if not the power supply) You may also run into over heating problems, needing multiple fans. I ran through this whole issue when doing my set-ups. I would suggest buying a Nvidia Quadro card that supports 4 monitors on one card. It is excellent and does not put a major strain on the motherboard or power supply in my experience. You may want to check the compatability if you plan on running other matrix cards though.

The PNY Quadro4 400 NVS is a PCI, 64 MB DDR SDRAM, graphics add-in card that delivers professional 2D workstation performance and integrated features of the NVIDIA Quadro4 400 NVS Graphics Processor Unit (GPU). Next-generation multi-monitor capabilities are achieved via two Quadro4 400 NVS GPUs and NVIDIA nView software, supporting multiple displays (i.e. quad analog, or quad digital) through standard 60-pin LFH connectors and breakout cables. This solution provides users with the ultimate flexibility for any display configuration.

I bought mine from newegg.com, but apparently they don't carry it at this time. I provided a link here
        ,so you can look at multiple suppliers.

Good luck,
        Last edited by FibbGann; 05-29-2004, 05:11 PM.
        Excellent book on JavaScript for beginners

Comment

These two radeon-based cards also work quite well. They are also faster than the NVS400. Nvidia really needs an update for that card.

Appian Phoenix (http://www.appian.com/products/?page=phoenix)
          Xentera GT4 (http://www.colorgraphic.net/newsite/..._gt_models.asp)

Comment

Thats funny atlas, if the card needs to be updated to be faster, than we all need to have our eyes updated to see faster than eyes can currenty see. This is trading not gaming, which the card works great with gaming too. JMHO.
            Excellent book on JavaScript for beginners

Comment

Yes, so true I'm just griping cause the NVS won't do 1600x1200 through DVI.

Comment

Is anyone aware of an AGP and PCI combination of cards that will handle 6 or 8 monitors at 1600 x 1200 all on the DVI outputs ? I'd like to run only 2 cards and use the same driver for them.
                Last edited by brianb; 05-31-2004, 07:54 PM.

Comment

I do not use these cards, but here is a link to a comparison chart that looks at the various Matrox Graphics multi monitor Cards. I just did a quick google search and this was one of the sites identified. It seems that there are cards here that span quite a large spectrum.

http://www.matrox.com/mga/products/pricing/home.cfm

Maybe someone that uses these or an alternative product can add something.

Comment

Also check out:

http://www.realtimesoft.com/multimon/

Comment

Working...
                    X