What wrong with esignal?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What wrong with esignal?!

I have used esignal for some time now and for general purpose trading etc i have had no problems what so ever.

However, I have been looking around for an easy way to backtest some idea's that i have and i have found that esignal is not the easiest tool to use for this as i am not programing friendly.
    Tradestation has easylanguage.
    Metastock now has Ice
    Why does esignal not have a simple easy language that a non C+ type person can use?
    Why is there also no easy to find instructions on efs coding?
    Why is there no easy to get to the efs studies that have already been done?
    Why is the backtesting facility and help files on this so.. well crap?

newtron...

Hello there...

You know, you might be in the wrong section of the BB for these questions. There is a group of people over in the EFS section (including myself) that will offer as much help as humanly possibly to help you learn.

Also, there is a "STICKY" message near the top fo the EFS forum that leads you to the EFS HELP CENTER & LIBRARY. In there, you'll find all types of documentation and examples.

Please try visiting the EFS section of this BB and I think you'll be amazed at the number of people and resources availble to assist you.

B
    Brad Matheny
    eSignal Solution Provider since 2000

Comment

Newtron_bomb,

We have quite a few resources that are available within the EFS Help Center & Library that you may be of some help. You may want to go through some of the short online videos that may help through some of the basics of EFS. More specifically, take a look at Section VI and go through Formula Studies Part 1&2. The BB's are also a great place to get help. You may be particularly interested in the EFS Central Thread.

Comment

BACKTESTING

I AM ALSO DISAPPOINTED AND QUITE CONFUSED AS TO HOW TO EVEN OPERTATE THE DARN BACKTEST ENGINE. SO FAR THE ONLY THING IT WILL RUN IS THE STOCHASTICS OPTION IN THE MENU.
        ALL I WANT TO DO IS TO RUN SOME MOVING AVERAGE SYSTEMS, AND I CANNOT FIGURE OUT HOW TO DO IT.
        I AM ALSO LOOKING AT TRADE STATION OR METASTOCK.
        DID YOU RECEIVE A RESPONSE ON YOUR EMAIL?
        DID IT HELP?
        THANKS,AND GOOD LUCK WITH THE OVERAMPED AND OVERPROMOTED ESIGNAL MONOLITH. ITS TOO BIG, CUMBERSOME AND INCAPABLE OF SIMPLE BT ANALYSIS.

KEVIN
        Richard Russell

Comment

Kevin...

First off.. I would like to offer some advice...

Let's all slow down and take it easy... Obviously, many others have been able to accomplish this type of thing and as my earlier post indicates - there are lots of people here to assist.

Both the posts below your's in this thread are directed at helping people like yourself - to learn how to use esignal and EFS. Plus, there are a dozen people on this board that are more than willing to try to help.

creating a MA crossover backtest file is rather simple. We just need to know more specifics from you?? Do you have any ideas about stops, PTs, exit strategies?? Or do you just want a simple MA backtest file??

Yeah, it requires a little bit of work to accomplish this, but not much really. In the Help Center, there is a "guide to developing Strategies" that would be of great help to you.

let me know if I can help any..

B
          Brad Matheny
          eSignal Solution Provider since 2000

Comment

Working...
          X