esignal crashes on startup with XP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• esignal crashes on startup with XP

I had been using latest version esignal 7.6 for a while and it was working fine until one day I restarted my computer and esignal crashed after about 10 seconds, every time. I called tech support and they had me completely uninstall and wipe the computer clean of all esignal files and reinstall and the problem persisted. I deleted every esignal registry setting that i could find it the problem still persisted. I removed every XP hotfix on the computer and still no good.

Has anyone had a similar type of problem or know what I could do to make esignal stable with windows XP once again? Thanks.

There could be a number of things causing this, so we'll take a few of the common ones and narrow it down from there.

#1 Corrupted Window, Layout or Page - After the complete uninstall and reinstall of eSignal 7.6, were you seeing these crashes even with the default eSignal Layout, or were you loading up a window, layout or page from previously? Sometimes saved window files (i.e. Quote Window, Chart Window, etc.) may become corrupted. Sometimes even a whole layout or page file can have problems. If this is the case, try pulling up eSignal, then quickly change to the Advanced Charting.LAY, and shut eSignal down. Bring it back up again (should have the default layout on screen at this point,) and then run that for a few minutes. If it remains stable, then one of the windows, layouts or pages you were using had become corrupted. You'll need to recreate it from scratch to resolve this.

#2 Conflicting Copies of DBCAPI.DLL - Sometimes we seen multiple copies of the DBCAPI.DLL file on end-users systems, and an older version is being used by eSignal. eSignal may have gotten confused as to which file to use. Please try this if Solution #1 didn't solve this.

1) Make sure eSignal and the Data Manager are not running
    2) Search Hard Drive for all copies of DBCAPI.DLL and delete them
    3) Search Hard Drive for winsig.ini and delete it
    4) Search Hard Drive for winros.ini and delete it
    5) Download eSignal 7.6 and install on top of the current eSignal

#3 Conflicting or Corrupted OS file(s) - Win XP and 2k have been much improved over earlier versions of Windows, but system problems can sometimes occur. One clue as to what is causing this is the original error message that pops up with the crash occurs. If you could provide all the details with this crash message, it would help narrow this down further. In addition, Windows has an added utility called Dr. Watson, that will log the entire crash to a file. Please try this.

1) Go to Start --> Run, and type in drwatson in the Open field, followed by clicking on OK. This will launch the Dr. Watson app in the background.
    2) Repeat the steps that you normally do to cause the crash. Dr. Watson will generate a log file in the C:\Windows folder
    3) Email the log into [email protected] and I'll take it from there.
    Regards,
    Jay F.
    Product Manager

Comment

The first two parts of your post do not apply here. What is the name of the log file that Dr Watson generates? I cannot seem to find it in the C:\Windows directory. I sorted by modified dates.

Comment

Same Problem

I Have the same problem.
        first time that after i installed eSignal 10 Sec's after start
        the program freezed.
        i tried everything re install 10 times in other directories,
        i make the 3 steps Jayf said but it didn't work
        drwatson doesn't find any problem so he doesn't write LOG,
        i even Started the program without chart and grids at all and
        it still freezed.

i don't have any more ideas, can any one help me??

Comment

Angelgap,

If you could please Private Message me your contact information (eSignal username, phone number where you can be reached, ect.) We will have a technician contact you so we can work through this. Thanks in advance.

Comment

Working...
          X