Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Workstation 1.91.155 Problem on WTS

Hi,

i have installed the Futuresource Workstation 1.91.155 on a Terminal Server.
    With a Admin User the application is running fine, but under a normal user the application generates a drwatson. I've tested it with the option /log, but it didn't write a debug.log.
    With the admin logging the debug.log is written, but the admin user has no problem.

Any suggestion which right the user need?

Regards
    Stefan

Its not a rights issue, version 1.91 wasn't yet compatiable with WTS, it would only allow one socket connection to take place per machine.

So when you login with the other user, you must still have the Admin account logged into Workstation.

With version 1.95, which will be out this week, it allows for per user port connection, instead of per machine/server. which will make it compatible.

If you want, you can install our Release Candidate, if you wanted to do testing on your WTS. Offical build will be released Thursday/Friday of this week.

http://share.esignal.com/ContentRoo...fsw1_95_169.exe
    Jim E.
    eSignal FutureSource

Workstation

Comment

Hi,

thanks for your fast answer.

Yes, i would test it, but your link didn't work.

Thanks
      Stefan

Comment

Sorry about that, I think I missed a character, try this link

1.95RC
        Jim E.
        eSignal FutureSource

Workstation

Comment

Sorry, no difference.

I installed the Software with the admin user (manually). After this i copied in my own xml files for the connection setting. And it running fine. Then i logged out with the admin user and logged in with the normal user. The FutureSource Logo is shown up for 5 second and disappears. Nothing else happens (Same with 1.91).

The Event Log entry:
          Die Anwendung "" hat einen Programmfehler verursacht. Datum und Zeit des Fehlers: 08.11.2004 um 17:25:54.467 Ausnahme: c00000fd an Adresse 791B4946 (Ordinal71)

English:
          The application "" has produced an error.
          Error Date and Time: 2004-08-11 at 17:25:54.467
          Exception: c00000fd at adress 791b4946 (Ordinal71)

The old Pronet Software runs fine with the WTS.

Our Environment:
          Windows 2000 Advanced Server
          Citrix Presentation Server 3.0
          ICA Client 8.0

.NET Framework 1.1.4322
          .NET Framework Hotfix KB827210

Thanks
          Stefan

Comment

We normally don't provide Server configuration support, for various liability reasons, and everybodys setup being different...but I can shoot a couple ideas to yah that might help you figure out where the problem is.

First, how did you install the application, were you in install mode?

If you didn't, remove workstation, reboot. Then install in install mode, then since our app doesn't require a reboot (unless a file is locked) switch back to execute mode before running.

Second, If you login to the console with Administrator, Leave it logged in while you start a session with a normal user name, does it work then? IF so that should tell you there is some security setting in the way.
            Last edited by JimE; 11-08-2004, 09:17 AM.
            Jim E.
            eSignal FutureSource

Workstation

Comment

Sorry that i didn't tell you before. I am working as a consultant for client und server management. So it's clear to me switching in install mode and back for software installation.

Yes, it is a security setting. And this is what i ask you in the beginning. Could you tell me where to search first?

Security settings for "program files", or "winsysdir" or Registry Security or.....

Thanks in advanced
              Stefan

Comment

Check
                • Install dir you choose
                • HLKM\Software\Futuresource\Workstation\
                • HKCU\Software\Futuresource\Workstation\
                • C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\UpdateService\Database
                • C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService
                • [AppDataFolder]FutureSource Workstation Data\
                • [PersonalFolder]My FutureSource Workspaces\

Looking at things furthur, I would say start by looking at [Appdatafolder] as maybe the culprit, but odd thing is, which is why I mentioned it before, is that should of been fine, if you installed in app mode, which is odd. When I run in TS environment, I do not have to tweak any security settings for the "Normal User" login, so let me know what you find, as I am more curious now.
                Jim E.
                eSignal FutureSource

Workstation

Comment

What should i check?

They all there, except HKLM\Software\Futuresource\Workstation.

Comment

Sorry,

no HKLM Key with Version 1.91 but with 1.95 i have this Reg-Key.

I found now a solution with the 1.95 to start the application. I didn't test it now if it works with more users.

I give the users full control for the HKLM\Software\Microsoft\.NETFramework. With this settings he can start the application.

But this is a security risk!

Regards
                    Stefan

Comment

With 1.91 that key wasn't used, got introduced with 1.95, becuase we didn't support TS with version prior to 1.95.

In my previous post, when I asked what happens when you have administrator logged in the console running Workstation while you try the other accounts in a Session, was becuase that would of led me to look at .NET settings/security.

I have seen couple other applications, right out of the box without tweaking, require Admin to be logged in to console for them to work in other user sessions, so that was why I asked that question before. I might not have been clear when I asked you to try that.

I will try to repo this inhouse myself, but I would be curious to know the answer to what happens if you change the registry setting back, launch workstation in console under admin, then try another session.
                      Jim E.
                      eSignal FutureSource

Workstation

Comment

The other thing I'd like to know, if you get a chance, is how you installed the .net framework. Did you install it seperate, or did our setup install it when it detected it wasn't there.
                        Jim E.
                        eSignal FutureSource

Workstation

Comment

Originally posted by JimE
                          With 1.91 that key wasn't used, got introduced with 1.95, becuase we didn't support TS with version prior to 1.95.

In my previous post, when I asked what happens when you have administrator logged in the console running Workstation while you try the other accounts in a Session, was becuase that would of led me to look at .NET settings/security.

I have seen couple other applications, right out of the box without tweaking, require Admin to be logged in to console for them to work in other user sessions, so that was why I asked that question before. I might not have been clear when I asked you to try that.

I will try to repo this inhouse myself, but I would be curious to know the answer to what happens if you change the registry setting back, launch workstation in console under admin, then try another session.
                          I installed .NET and Hotfix with a separate script and we didn't need it before.

Sorry, i can't test it with two accounts. At the moment i have only one FutureSource Login.

For your test:
                          We have a higher security for the WTS Users. No write access to C-Drive and C-Drive is hidden.
                          The Homedrive and Profile is redirected to a network share.

Stefan

Comment

Hey Stefan, Go to your Control Panel on the board, I just sent you an instant message.
                            Jim E.
                            eSignal FutureSource

Workstation

Comment

Working...
                            X