Ask the Captain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ask the Captain

Ever wondered if Workstation can do that?
    Self-proclaimed Workstation expert challenges you to ask any question about what Workstation can currently do.

Captain a question

Is there a way to import a alerts page. My other programs give me order levels and instead of manually setting these alerts I would like to import a file instead?

Is this possible? How is it done?

Thanks

Dan

Comment

Excelent question - Import Alerts

The short answer to your question is NO, workstation does not currently have that feature. I know this is a desired feature that will be addressed in the future, but unfortunately I cannot speculate as to when that will be added.

The long answer is YES it is possible, but it would require much work. The alerts are stored in your workspace files. It is possible to edit your workspace file using notepad, Perl script or other means (although it is not recommended for a novice pc user). To see what I mean, create a new test workspace with a quote board, chart, and some alerts, save the workspace and close workstation. Now with Windows Explorer, go to where the workspace is saved, right click it and choose “Open with…” and then choose Notepad.

This is the guts of your workspace. To look at your alerts in this workspace, do an Edit -> Find for AlertPriceEntry .
      It will find it in this line:
      <item type="FutureSource.Avalanche.Alerts.AlertPriceEntr y" assembly="Alerts">
      The info between the <item> and </item> tags are a single price alert. Try copying and pasting the 12 or so lines between the <item type="FutureSource.Avalanche.Alerts.AlertPriceEntr y" assembly="Alerts"> and </item> tags and changing a field such as the symbol and save the file. NOTE: your paste has to be between the <PriceAlerts type="FutureSource.Avalanche.Alerts.AlertsCollecti on" assembly="Alerts" list="true"> and </PriceAlerts> tags. Open the workspace and if there are no errors or typos you should have the new alert. If there were errors, you’ll get a message saying Workstation cannot open the workspace and it will open a blank workspace instead.

This is only a simple example. To do what your looking to do, you would have to write a script to read your input file, make a backup of your workspace file, and then write the alert info to your workspace file in exactly the correct format. It is possible, but would take a lot of work and time to initially set up. If I haven’t scared you off and you would like to know more I’d be glad to explain further and lend a hand. Also note that although this is how Alerts currently look in the workspace, there is no guarantee that this will not change down the road, at which point the import script would have to be modified again to support workstation.

Comment

Working...
      X