Conflicts With Other Software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conflicts With Other Software

I seem to be having a few problems with my machine freezing since I installed MC. I've checked the FAQs and it may be that my OS isn't right, it's Win 98SE. The technical spec of the machine is fine. However do you have any known conflicts with Paltalk, D4F Marketmaker 5 or IB/Sierra?

Thanks
    Helen

MC

Hi Helen,

Someone more technical will need to jump in here, but I've been running MC since before we released it and it has never crashed. I run it everyday on XP with eSignal, email, and 2 or more browsers, etc.

We highly recommentd XP Pro over all versions of Win 98. There are so many improvements in XP for Internet use.

IB uses java, does Paltalk?
    Chuck
    @eSignal

Comment

Hi Helen,

Windows 98SE should work fine with MarketCenter. With Java software, it depends mostly on the Java Runtime Environment that is installed. I believe IB requires JRE 1.3, the latest available is JRE 1.4.1_03 which is supposed to be better.

Personally I'm running JRE 1.4.1_03, MarketCenter, eSignal, IB and Paltalk, but on Windows XP.

Things I would check:

1. Ensure that you have the latest version of Microsoft Internet Explorer, v6.0 (I believe you can make sure your system is up to date by doing 'Windows Update', available from IE's Tools menu, or maybe from your 'Start' menu).

2. If that doesn't help, see if downloading the latest Java Runtime from Sun Microsystems helps out. You can grab that from:

www.java.com (click on 'Download' in the top right corner).

Let us know, thanks!

Comment

Thanks for your comments guys. I've done what you suggest but it looks like everything is up to date. I've been meaning to switch OS anyway so I guess this is the push I need
        Many thanks for the help
        Helen

Comment

Discovered something, although I had the new version of Java installed the machine was actually using a very early version. So I have deleted the two previous versions I found. Hopefully that will help. I'll let you know.

Thanks
          Helen

Comment

Touch wood all seems to be working perfectly now Thanks.
            Helen

Comment

Working...
            X