Problems using QCharts with wireless EVDO connections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems using QCharts with wireless EVDO connections

Here's something that I really, really hope I can find some help with. I love QCharts' charting software. I like the flexibility and the richness of the charting. But I'm having VERY serious problems with the reliability of the feed - that is, when I'm using my EVDO broadband modem.

When I log into QCharts with a normal Internet connection, using my home's wireless LAN, I have no problems at all. However, when I attempt to log in and load up a workspace - AND I'm connected with my Verizon Wireless V620 - QCharts crashes immediately, about 90% of the time.

I think the problem is related to an EVDO Internet connection's very high lag (anywhere from 300 to 800 ms). Even though the transmission speed is very fast, this lag rate is up to ten times worse than a dial-up lag rate. And as far as I can tell, it appears that the QCharts software is very vulnerable to high (or inconsistent) lag rates. It makes the software essentially unusable, and that's a real shame, because I like it a lot.

Does anyone out there have any success stories to share about using QCharts with an EVDO connection? Is this a problem that the QCharts/eSignal software guys are even aware of?

EVDO Success Story

I've used QCharts with a Verizon broadband EVDO card quite successfully for nearly 2 years. I haven't checked my download speeds in a long time, but they were in the 700-800k range last time I noticed. I've found that the system works much better without data compression...meaning my Venturi client is always off. It does reside on my system, however, because I found that I encountered problems when I removed it. I hope this information is helpful.
    Brian

Comment

Success with Sprint EVDO using S620

Hi,
      I log in and use QCharts on my HP Pavillion ZD7140US laptop at work everyday and it runs fine. I'm running a Sprint Novatel S620 card (the same as the Verizon 620 card) and am getting a strong EVDO signal at work (in Greensboro NC).

I run a fairly involved workspace and do quite well.

What version of QCharts are you running?
      Are you running 5.1.0.14?
      Have you tried doing a complete un-install (including registry wash) and re-install 5.1.0.14?
      Help for that is here:
      http://www.qcsoftwarehelp.com
      Click the orange button on the home page. Top paragraphs.

-Bill Bledsoe

Comment

QCharts Problem resolved

Just in case someone reads this in the future, I'm posting a follow-up to let you folks know that I resolved my problem. It wound up be very curious and frustrating to diagnose, but in the end, my QCharts issues went away by doing one simple thing. My Dell laptop came with Windows XP Media Center installed. I wiped my laptop's hard drive clean and re-installed plain old Windows XP Professional with SP2.

Granted, that's a bit extreme, but it not only fixed my QCharts problem, it fixed several other weird issues related to my V620 modem card. In my research, it turns out that Windows XP Media Center is *not* quite the superset of XP Pro that it claims to be. So once again, the blame can be traced back to Microsoft.

Comment

Hey Pete,

Thanks for following-up on this thread. Great to hear the problem has been resolved.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X