Autowave problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Autowave problem

I have the zigzag extreme line checked, and that is the only autowave pattern I am using. Usually when the line is first drawn, that is the end of a price movement and the next line drawn will be in the opposite direction. However, there are times when the line that was drawn just extends in the next session or two. There are even sometimes when the line draws, there is a period or two where there is no line, but then the orginal line is extended to cover more sessions. I am trying to understand these last two occurrences better.

The most disturbing part is when I try to scroll through a chart historically. It doesn't redraw the lines as they appeared when it happened in real time. For example, in real time there was a zigzag line first drawn upward after six sessions. Then for the next two sessions it was extended before being completed. If you replay this historically by scrolling the screen to the right one candle at a time, it will only draw the line after 8 sessions. You don't see the original, six session line.

I am not including any screens to the right of the visible chart.

Can anyone tell me, is there a way to make it redraw the line exactly as it occurred originally? Is this a bug in the program that needs corrected?

Thanks,

glr

glr

...when I try to scroll through a chart historically. It doesn't redraw the lines as they appeared when it happened in real time.
    That is because when you scroll back in a chart you are not actually "replaying" the data on that chart but only shifting the display window hence this and other studies will not recompute on every scrolled historical bar as if they were happening in real time. All the studies are computed (and their values stored) up to the last bar on the chart and will recompute only as new bars are added in real time.
    To answer your questions I don't believe that there currently is a way to replay the data in a chart or that this is a bug
    Alex

Comment

Thanks for your reply.

Bug or not a bug, the behavior of the zigzag line is inconsistent and not as useful as it could be.

The autowave has a built in feature that allows you to include or not include screens to the left or right of the present screen. If I include screens to the right, then the zigzag line will appear or disappear on the viewable portion of the screen by including the bars that are not viewable in its calculation.

If I set this to not include screens to the right, then I should see how the line is correctly calculated without the data to the right.

What is this feature for if not to allow viewing historical data?

Comment

let me put it another way.

When I scroll through a chart historically, say I put April 30, 2006 at the right edge of the chart. I see the bollinger bands just as they were calculated on that date. I see the moving averages as they were on that date. This allows me to back test and practice my technical analysis.

However, the autowave function, doesn't necessarily appear exactly as it did on that day. It may or may not depending on some magic voodoo.

So, isn't that a significant problem?

Comment

glr

If I set this to not include screens to the right, then I should see how the line is correctly calculated without the data to the right.
          What is this feature for if not to allow viewing historical data?
          Actually that is not what that feature is for and/or how it works
          If you set the Include Left and Right screens to 0 (the default setting) you are instructing the program to draw only those waves that have the end points (or anchor points) contained in the visible area of the chart.
          In fact as you scroll the chart back and forth you will see that the only waves being drawn are those that are fully contained (ie begin and end) within the chart's display. All waves that have their end points outside of the display area (whether to the right or to the left) will not be drawn
          When you change the Include Left and Right screens settings you are instructing the program to draw also those lines that have their end points outside of the display area and in one of the defined number of screens to the left or right of the screen you are currently viewing (I believe the maximum is 10 screens).
          Note however that the program remains fully aware of the data that exists to the right of the displayed area [even if you can't see it] and will compute all the waves taking into account that data. Scrolling back the chart does not physically or virtually "remove" that data and it does not recalculate the waves on every bar as you scroll back.
          To accomplish what you are looking for would require a functionality ie a bar by bar playback tool that the program does not currently have.
          Alex

Comment

Working...
          X