Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charts automatically switch timeframe while locked

Hello,

I'm running the production version of QCharts (5.1).
    I have a workspace with 8 charts on it all on the same symbol but for different time frames (weeky, daily, 60min, ...)
    All the time frames are locked (red intv. switch on the charts).

Every couple of days, when I type a symbol (or click one in my Quote sheet), all the charts revert to the same time frames (usually 2 min but I've had 1 min too).
    So when I discover this (which is not right away sometimes), i have go in and manually change all the time frames back to their original setting (and lock the intervals again)

This looks like a bug to me so I can imagine somebody must have seen this before (solved it maybe?). I've looked around the forum but didn't find anything on this.

Does this sound familiar to anyone or does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Walter

Walter,

Thanks for the post.

I have also seen this on a rare occasion as well, however we have been unable to track it down to a reproducible pattern. The next time that I see it, I'll jot down everything I was doing in the last minute or two. If you could do the same and report back here, then we may be able to do a comparison and see if a pattern develops from that.
    Regards,
    Jay F.
    Product Manager

Comment

Charts automatically switch timeframe while locked

I see this frequently. I can get it to reproduce quite easily by switching to a symbol that represents a merged symbol

For example. I have in my

CompSyms.znf
      HES ; NYSE:HES ; - ; NYSE:HES ; NYSE:AHC NYSE:HES
      BLG ; NYSE:BLG ; BUILDING MATERIALS HLDS CORP (Merged) ; NYSE:BLG ; NASDAQ:BMHC NYSE:BLG

I it also extremely easy to reproduce if you use the merged E-mini futures contract

ES.Q
      NQ.Q

I also see additional strangeness with the futures contract in that they won't display the StochRSI study. The StochRSI will display in the current monthly futures contract.

I have seen this will all the QCharts 5.1 versions including 5.1.0.14 and 5.1.0.21.

My workspace is fairly simple -- a couple of quote sheets, a W, D, 233 and 55 chart with Sym set to green and Intv set to red.
      Eric Boehm

Comment

I have been thinking that I don't do anything special which could cause this problem to occur but Eric sure can give a detailed way to reproduce this. Thanks Eric.

The only thing I have to add on this is that I've looked in my CompSyms.znf and only 1 line in there:
        NQ5 ; CME:NQ5 ; E-Mini NASDAQ-100 Continuous (5) ; CME:NQ04H ; CME:NQ04H CME:NQ03Z CME:NQ03U CME:NQ03M CME:NQ03H

Since I only trade stocks, I never use any of these symbols at all and still the problem occurs.
        I have a quote sheet in my workspace in which I list my shortlist of the day (which are all Nasdaq stocks). I switch frequently between them by clicking the symbols to bring up the charts and the problem simply occurs seemingly random when I click on of them (no perticular one).
        I do have also a small quote sheet with COMPX, QQQQ, SPX.X and SPY in it. When I switch from one of these symbols back to the other symbols, the problem occurs more frequent (don't know if it means anything though).

Good luck with finding the bug.

Walter

Comment

The problem with the chart's changing time frames when locked goes back to builds 2.x and 3.x; it is not a new item. It happens to me on a regular basis, a couple of times a week. I am now running 5.1.0.14. It will occur when the time frame is locked (red). Typically, my charts will just arbitrarily change to a Daily chart. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it.

fyi,
          Carol

Comment

I have this documented in our bug database now, so we'll eventually be able to get to the bottom of it. I can't guarentee a fix will be the final 6.0 version, but it's on the radar now so to speak.
            Regards,
            Jay F.
            Product Manager

Comment

This has happened repeatedly to me this morning. Using production 5.1.0.21.

A weekly chart keeps changing to an intraday chart.

Comment

I got this problem again too twice yesterday (02/15).

I can't pinpoint for what reason it occurs exactly, but when it does most (not all) of my charts switch to the time frame which was currently in the interval list box (on top).

This seems to suggest that there is nothing wrong with the charts as such but the "interval lock" setting is ignored at that time. It's like the software comes through a specific routine (which it normally does not go through in the same way) where the "if(interval lock==TRUE) then ignore" is missing.

However, as said above, when it happens not ALL of my charts change time frame all the time which possibly points to a timing issue where messages are sent to the charts and not all of them get the command.

Hope it helps,
                Walter

Comment

Typically, my charts will arbitrarily change to a Daily chart. Today, they have changed to a 60-min All Sessions chart. Workspace consists of a quote sheet, 60-min AS chart, M/W/D/60-min chart. ALL charts are Intv locked to red - and all changed to 60-min All Sessions as I was clicking thru the quote sheet.

fyi,
                  Carol

Comment

Originally posted by ckelly
                    T... as I was clicking thru the quote sheet.

fyi,
                    Carol
                    Clicking through a quote sheet is typically what does the trick for me too to make the timeframes go wrong.
                    I haven't had the problem yet while typing actual symbols in the edit box on top but then again I use that one much less frequent than clicking through the quote sheet so if the problem has anything to do with statistics (once every x'th symbol change on average), i might have it with typing the symbol too; just haven'had it happen yet.

W

Comment

You know what's bad about this?

This bug seems to have been taken over in the new QCharts 6 beta so we're not rid of it yet unfortunately.

I have the problem a lot less since I've been pushing symbols to QCharts using the SynQ interface instead of typing the symbols myself or clicking on them in a quote sheet. That seems to suggest the problem lies somewhere in how the quotesheet communicates with the charts. If the symbol change request doesn't originate from a quote sheet, the problem does not occur. This should pinpoint the problem down a lot (I hope).

Greetz,
                      Walter

Comment

We do know where the issue is in the code, but to fix it would require a complete reworking of the internal messaging structure of Symbol and Interval linking. I don't see us tackling this bug for QCharts 6.0, but hopefully we can nail it down in 6.1.
                        Regards,
                        Jay F.
                        Product Manager

Comment

Working...
                        X