Vista not Qcharts compatable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista not Qcharts compatable

Had a problem with Qcharts not showing overnight sessions. Couldn't get it worked out with the phone support. Got an e-mail from tech support saying that Qcharts wasn't Vista compatable and they would release a compatable update later this year.

Later this year doesn't sound promising. (Ninja Trader had Vista problems but already fixed them.)

With Qcharts running under Vista you can only view overnight data using tick bars. On any other bar setting there is only the 9:30 to 16:00 time frame. Actually you can't get a 16:00 bar. This is on the ES07H and YM07H. The YM doesn't show the 8:30 - 9:30 bars/session.

So don't upgrade to Vista if you don't have to. My old computer died and the replacement came with Vista. I'm stuck now.

BTW, had other compatability issues with Vista and various programs.
    Last edited by Ezzy; 02-13-2007, 02:06 PM.

6.0 Beta

Anyone know if the Qcharts 6.0 beta works with Vista? Is it still having freezing up problems?

- EZ

Comment

I suspect that what you are seeing in 5.1 is caused by the additional security features in Vista versus XP. The file folders are much more locked down preventing file writes in many folders, possibly impacting MktHours.inf and other related files. If you look in your QCharts folder on your Vista PC, you'll likely see a very outdated MktHours.inf, CorpActs.inf, etc.

We're in process of testing both QCharts 5.1 and QCharts 6.0 with Vista. We'll follow-up in this thread with more details once this testing is completed.
      Regards,
      Jay F.
      Product Manager

Comment

Jay,

We tried deleting the MktHours.inf and Temp files with no luck. Hopefully you guys can get a patch in the works. The overnight session shows "only" with tick charts.

One odd thing with the Vista explorer file tree - when we were looking for the files they weren't in the Qcharts folder. There were some identical Qcharts folders or ghost folders buried in the tree elsewhere, that only had a few files in them. Later I found the right one with the folders.

Guess I'm the guinea pig. Thanks, keep me posted

EZ

Comment

Hey EZ,

Check your Private Messages, please.

LAM

Comment

Jay,

Larry spent about an hour and a half with me and we got
            it working for now. It is the MktHours.inf and CorpActs.inf files not updating. It's a .unf vs .inf issue. I D/L'd Larry's file and then it worked fine.

He said we need to get Vista to allow the downloading of the MktHours.inf, it needs permission for port 23100 as a trusted site.

I expect you know what he means. Maybe this info will make it easier to get a patch. Until then I need to periodically D/L a new MktHours after the Holidays' file updates.

Thanks,

Mike

Comment

FYI for those interested...

Looks like the Vista issue has been nailed down and a solution/procedure identified. Bill Bledsoe got it working on his Vista machine and he will be creating a video illustrating the procedure, for both QCharts and QFAI, and will post when that is done.

Thanks Bill !!

LAM

Comment

Here is the link to the movie section of QCSoftwarehelp.com

Scroll down and see Movie #10 for QCharts/Vista info. Runtime is about 15 minutes.

This is the result of emailing, screencaps and phone calls between me and Larry over the course of one weekend. So far, this info seems good and we've had good results from those who have run it. If you have questions or issues after making these adjustments - please let either me or Larry know.

Also, this movie is shot kind of "tall" (my goof) - so you may need to scroll it up or down a little to get to the Camtasia controls at the bottom. I'll get it re-shot, but I felt it was more important to get the info out for those of you that are running Vista now, rather than wait for me to get it re-shot so if fits the screen better.

Thanks Bill !! --LAM
                Actually - it should be "Thanks Larry" - I just had the Vista box and kept digging up screencaps.

Comment

Allow issue

Larry and Bill,

Thanks for all the Vista help. I have found a way to get rid of the pop-up asking to "Allow" Qcharts and all the other programs. It can be disabled. Maybe in the future MS will have a patch that's let's us be selective of the programs we allow.
                  -------------------------------------------------------

When entering locations that allow you to adjust system settings you may receive a prompt similar to the below prompt, with the options to continue or cancel.

User Account Control
                  Windows needs your permission to continue
                  If you understand this action, continue.

Microsoft has included this feature into Windows Vista as an extra safety precaution to help prevent users and malicious programs from adjusting settings that may cause issues with your computer. Some examples of where you may get this prompt is when attempting to open the Windows Registry, Device Manager, an Administrative Tools feature, managing accounts, etc. To disable this feature and prevent these prompts from occurring follow the below steps. (May differ slightly depending on the Vista version)

Open the Windows Control Panel.

Click "User Accounts and Family Safety"

Click "User Accounts"

Within User accounts click "Turn User Account Control on or off"

This will open the User Account Control (UAC) window.

If you wish to disable this feature uncheck the Use User Account Control (UAC) to help protect your computer and click Ok.

After following the above steps you'll need to reboot your computer to complete this action.

As mentioned by the Windows Security Center after disabling this feature not only will disabling the "Windows needs your permission to continue" prompt, but it will also disable the "A program needs your permission to continue", "An unidentified program wants access to your computer", and "This program has been blocked" prompts.

Comment

Working...
                  X