Problem with chart not accurate YM-INDU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with chart not accurate YM-INDU

I'm running a real time premium chart, and the chart display doesn't seem to read correctly. I'm using ((CBOT:YM07M -INDEX:INDU) -81). The -81 being todays premium. Using a 1 minute chart, and I have a tab bar next to it to confirm the chart.

The formula zero's out the chart, so if the prem is above 81 the bar pushes above 0, if below 81 it should go below 0.

What is shown in the tab bar, and what is displayed on the 1 minute chart do not match. The tab is simple subtraction YM - INDU for a double check. When the tab reads 78, the bar chart should drop to -3. Many times it doesn't, and sometimes it will move far beyond.

I've heard of a few who have the same problem. I'm running version 5.1.0.21. But a friend running an older version doesn't have the problem.

Any ideas why this isn't reading properly? Or why it seems to be ok in the older version?

Thanks - EZ

Got the real fix

Had the same problem today after thinking adding spaces to the "-" in the formula fixed it.

The chart only displayed properly using 5 minute bars. But after I checked the "all sessions" box, all the time frames displayed properly.

Comment

Ezzy,

In QCharts 6.0 beta the formula syntax has been slightly modified. All math operators need a space on either side. The old syntax required a space before an operator, but did not allow a space after.

A few months back one could switch between these modes via a checkbox in the logon options dialog. It can be added back if you see a need.

- MikeC

Comment

As long as it will display properly, doesn't matter if I need spaces. I noticed I couldn't put a space after the "-" for the INDU.

It was odd that the chart would only display correctly with "all sessions" today, could have been due to the huge difference in the YM and INDU in the morning? The 1,2,3 and 4 minute bars all read incorrectly, sometimes when I switched data feeds the 3 or 4 would work.

But I also noticed the chart was running a few minutes behind the raw YM and ES chart. But I was surprised when I clicked all sessions, everything worked fine.

Here is exactly what settings were used:

3/26: ((CBOT:YM07M -INDEX:INDU) -86)
        Wasn't working, chart running behind.

3/27: ((CBOT:YM07M -INDEX:INDU) -81)
        Running on time but incorrect data

3/28: ((CBOT:YM07M -INDEX:INDU) - 77)
        Had assed the space. Started out a bit behind, when I switched to a 5 min, then back to a 1m, it started reading correctly and on time. I thought the space was the fix.

3/29: ((CBOT:YM07M -INDEX:INDU) - 74)
        Was a mess, running behind and reading incorrectly. Tried switching time frames and data servers. When I clicked "all sessions" then it worked fine.

I'm running 5.1.0.21 now. So if the new version will require a space before and after, it's not a problem for me as long as the chart reads correctly. I'm still puzzled about the problem and hope tomorrow all will be well.

Regards - EZ

Comment

EZ,

Here's a more detailed blah blah of what I tried to share the other day off-list.

The issues you're having are due to the two symbols not mapping equally in terms of time.
          YM regular hours chart is 8:20 to 16:15
          INDU regular hours chart is 9:30 to 16:00.

At 8:30 in the morning, YM is running, but INDU is not. The spread function does not intelligently say lemme get the X minute bar of SymA and find the corresponding X minute bar of SymB. Oh wait, INDU isn't charting yet so I can't do the spread. It's just mechanically spreading the most recent bars and then counting back a mechanical bar by bar in the plot.

So, you can only use what you're trying to do between 9:30 and 16:00. And something must be done to make the rightmost bars be in sync, the rightmost bars equaling the same time bars. Clicking all sessions, after 9:30, refreshes the chart and the rightmost time bars are in synch. A reload of the workspace after INDU starts running will probably get the time in synch, or switching time frames.

The point is that you must sync the right most bars to the same time after 9:30.
          And forget about looking back in time, like running a 30min chart with any TA on it, since the different hours per day of the two syms will be increasing skewed with the bars increasingly offset going back in time.

LAM

Comment

Larry,

Thanks for the deeper explainantion. I just thought it should auto sync after the 9:30 open as it should compare the current bar once the INDU opens. So that explains it.

It's just a spread chart so there's no studies on it, and only used after 9:30. I use a 1 minute to track the premium. It takes a few minutes for the YM and INDU to settle into a normal spread.

So now I'll know what to try in the future. Click "all session" or reload the chart. And watch the time to make sure it's not running behind - a clue I need to sync.

Good timing, was just about to e-mail.

Regards - EZ

Comment

Originally posted by Ezzy
              I just thought it should auto sync after the 9:30 open as it should compare the current bar once the INDU opens. EZ
              Yep, you would think that would be the case. Theoretically it should. But I suspect QC is a tad confused with one sym ticking and the other not while running premarket, so that things aren't all tidied up, synched up, once INDU starts ticking.

oh...YM ticks realtime, whenever a trade happens, many times per second is not unusual. INDU updates normally every 2secs, but often it's 4 or 6 secs before the next update. Hence the bouncing bars you mentioned.

LAM

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Marchman
                snip . . . oh...YM ticks realtime, whenever a trade happens, many times per second is not unusual. INDU updates normally every 2secs, but often it's 4 or 6 secs before the next update. Hence the bouncing bars you mentioned.
                LAM
                Ok, great. That always bugged me 'cause it was like there was a reference point jumping around. Guess there is

Comment

Working...
                X