Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problem Posting on this Forum (Connection was Reset)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem Posting on this Forum (Connection was Reset)

I was wondering if anyone else has this problem. Often (almost every other time), when I try to post a reply, the forum says the connection was reset and trying again does not help. Restarting the browser does not help either.

Sometimes, I can hit the back button and try and submit again and it will work. I really don't think it is my network or internet connection. I use Multiping with floating graphs and they are all pretty clean when this happens.

I use FireFox 2.01 with all the updates current. When I used IE it also behaved this way.

Does anyone have any insight into this frustrating problem? Is it just me?

Any help is appreciated,
    T

I have had this occur before, usually coincident with me having the reply window open for an extended period. After reflection, I think this is due to the connection to the forum timing out due to inactivity.

Writing a response in the reply window does not involve interaction with the server until you submit the response. The longer you take to compose the message, the more likely the connection will be automatically timed out. When you submit the reply to a timed out connection, you get the message you mentioned. You will typically lose your response as well.

When composing a long message, I either do it off-line in notepad or copy the reply to the clipboard prior to submittal. Either way, I have a copy to go from if the time-out occurs.

This is my best guess as to what happens. Regardless if I am correct, copying your response in some manner prior to submittal saves a great deal of frustration from losing a long carefully written post. I hope this helps.

Comment

I thought this might be the case (timeout when taking too long to reply), but my replies are mostly very short. No need for extensive editing.

Will see how this one does.

Thanks,
      T

Comment

OK The last one I posted "took" the first time. Perhaps the timeout is extremely short or something. I would not think having the edit screen open for a couple of minutes would reset/time out.

I will try your method for longer posts and see if I continue to get reset errors.

Thanks for the reply!
        T

(Added after posting: I got the error on this one after having the edit window open for only 40 seconds.)

Comment

Thanks guys for the notes. I spoke to the staff that looks after the boards from a technical side, and they are looking into these issues. So far they have been quite difficult to track down, but hopefully we'll see some improvement soon.

Edit: As irony would have it, I got an error posting my message about the error.
          Regards,
          Jay F.
          Product Manager

Comment

Working...
          X