moving average lines not complete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• moving average lines not complete

I've been having a problem recently I don't think I've seen before: when I pull up a new sym from my quote sheet, the 200 period moving average line will not draw all the way to the last time on the right (however other moving average lines do draw completely). It seems to happen only with all time frames Daily and shorter and it seems to leave off the last day. The line will draw completely if I do something to the window to make it redraw the chart such as resize the chart. I don't think I saw it during trading hours.

I'm using using 5.1.0.21.

Has anybody else seen this? What can you do about it?

Thanks,

Jim
    Last edited by grunewaj; 07-05-2007, 05:59 PM.
    When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.
    -- P.J. O'Rourke

Jim,

That certainly sounds unusual, Jim. It sounds like all the data isn't being downloaded or being processed within QCharts correctly. If you could attach a screenshot, that should help better see the problem.

Also, if you try to create a new workspace and a new chart with a 200-ma does the problem still occur? If not, then this points to a workspace problem. If it does still occur, then it may be something deeper within the application.
    Regards,
    Jay F.
    Product Manager

Comment

re: moving average lines not complete

Hi Jay,

Thanks for the quick response. In my past post, I said that I hadn't seen it during trading hours, but in fact I did see it a time or two.

I don't know how to post a picture. I tried the IMG button and I tried to attach a file, but neither showed the picture in the preview. What do I do?

Jim
      When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.
      -- P.J. O'Rourke

Comment

The IMG button is if you have uploaded an image to a web storage location like eSignal Central's file sharing site or imageshack.com. The attach file tool should work fine formost purposes, but doesn't show up in the preview post page for some odd reason.
        Regards,
        Jay F.
        Product Manager

Comment

re: moving average lines not complete

Hi Jay,

I'll see if this works:

Last edited by grunewaj; 07-06-2007, 03:55 PM.
          -- P.J. O'Rourke

Comment

grunewaj
            You need to use the URL address inside the [ IMG ] tags for this to work.
            Go to the FileShare folder in which you saved the image and click on the link for the image you just saved. The image will be displayed at the top of the page. Right click the image, select Properties then copy the URL address from the Properties window and paste it in your message inside the [ IMG ] tags
            Alex

Originally posted by grunewaj
            Hi Jay,

I'll see if this works:

Well, that didin't work. It's in the filesharing main folder for Qcharts under the name short200pma.bmp

Comment

Thanks for the instructions, Alexis. I edited my post and the picture is now in there!

Jim
              -- P.J. O'Rourke

Comment

grunewaj
                You are most welcome.
                To simplify the process you may want to create your own group in FileShare in which to store your images/files.
                Once you do that you will have the option [as the Owner/Administrator of your group] to display the URLs without having to access the properties of an image/file.
                To do this you will just need to click the Show URLs at the bottom of the page (circled in red in the following image)

and this will display the URLs directly in correspondence of each file

Hope this helps
                Alex

Originally posted by grunewaj
                Thanks for the instructions, Alexis. I edited my post and the picture is now in there!

Jim

Comment

Jim,

Thanks for posting the picture. That helps a ton to understand the problem more.

Could you check the settings for that Moving Average? Is there a negative value in the Offset field that is shifting it to the left?
                  Attached Files
                  Regards,
                  Jay F.
                  Product Manager

Comment

more on moving average lines

Thanks for the suggestion to check the offset. That isn't my problem:

I would say, it seems that it doesn't always happen. For example, when I got home from work tonight, I didn't have the problem. It doesn't seem to be very consistent. If I figure out anything about it, I'll let you know, but I don't have any ideas.

Jim
                    -- P.J. O'Rourke

Comment

Posting with images

Jim,

As a friendly fwiw regarding posting with images....

I notice that you are uploading the images and using IMG in the posts. Perhaps you discovered that the max size one can attach is 102,400 bytes. The image in your most recent post is 333,750 bytes. Notice though that I've attached it to this post. How did I do that? I converted your image from type .BMP to .GIF and it's now 32,036 bytes, about 1/10th the size.

So the fwiw here is that you will most likely find that you can do a simple attachment in most cases if you capture the images as .GIFs. As you can see, the quality is equivalent. Or capture as .PNG, and it's about the same size reduction from .BMP without noticable loss of clarity for all practical purposes for what's intended here at post city.

One thing that may be confusing in posting with attachments, is that if you Preview the post, the attachment has to be done in the Preview step. Look to the bottom of the Preview page for the "Browse for attachment" box. This is so even if you "Browsed for attachment" in the initial composition step.

So, again, just a friendly fwiw. It's a lot easier to attach than to go to the hassle of uploading, capturing it's URL, doing the IMG thingy.

If you have follow up questions regarding how do I do a .GIF or .PNG, hopefully someone will help you out. I'm gonna be gone, away from 'puter and hence the forums for a few days...at least looks that way as I type.

LAM
                      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks, Larry

I appreciate the tips, Larry. I've posted on lots of forums, but never posted any pictures so this is all new to me.

As always, it's always an education to talk to you.

Thanks again,

Jim
                        -- P.J. O'Rourke

Comment

Jim,

I don't know how you're doing your captures, and there's many ways and programs to do that. However, do a capture, and see if in your process when you go to save the file to your hard drive if there's a pull-down or what not where you can specify the save-type. With my SnagIT ($Shareware, but with incredible range of functions), I can save in many different types. But even my XP system supplied Paint allows a save as filetype .GIF and .PNG when the image is pasted into Paint from clipboard (which is BMP density). With Paint though, there's a little fignaggling involved to "crop" the Print Screen image that one pastes into Paint. Sorry, got to rambling here....<grin>.

LAM

Comment

Hi Larry,

I used paint and didn't realize that .bmps were big or that I could save in different formats!

Again, thanks for the tips!

Jim
                            -- P.J. O'Rourke

Comment

Jay,

I have also experienced this problem with intrady charts with the 200ma. Sometimes it draws most of the average and then just a few dots and other times it draws most of it and then the average goes off on some sharp angle. Bringing that chart into focus and pressing <HOME> or <ENTER> forces it to be redrawn correctly.

Comment

Working...
                              X