Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charts resetting and going blank

Hey all,
    I am trying to help someone with a problem with his wife's QCharts.

I ask these questions and he tells me:
    1- Is your wife still having the problem with her charts resetting to "nothingness"?
    YES

2- If she is, can you be real specific in describing when this happens?
    The "nothingness" happens under the following conditions. It never just changes when she is working in Qcharts…Qcharts is open when the computer goes to sleep and then it wakes up and the charts are reset - I shut the computer down and the charts are fine. I turn the computer on some time later (could be a couple of hours are later are the next day), and log in and the charts are reset I close the Qcharts, leave the computer on. I come back later reopen Ocharts and the workspace and the charts are reset to "nothingness"

Specifically...."nothingness" is this:
    A normal NQ07U Futures chart, (daily chart), goes blank when QCharts is opened after conditions listed above. The three studies are still there, with the study parameters listed, but the studies are blank (no lines present stretching across the chart at all - blank space). No candles are present. No Bollinger Bands, no moving averages. All blank. And the title of the chart goes from "CME:NQ07U,D E-mini Nasdaq 100 Index...." to just saying "QCharts" in the title bar of the chart.

Have any of you heard of this?
    Any idea what could be causing it?
    Thanks,
    Bill
    Last edited by billbled; 07-18-2007, 07:44 PM.

Hi Bill,

This sounds like Windows' hibernation or sleep mode is affecting QCharts negatively on this PC. In checking with senior techs, none of us have seen this exact situation with QCharts before, however one thing that could be tried is to make sure the latest OS service packs are installed on the PC. There may be an issue with the way the PC is waking up that is preventing QCharts from fully reestablishing a network connection and its current state.

If updating to the latest service pack doesn't solve it (or if the PC is already up to date,) then the other recommendation is to disable hibernation altogether and just shut the PC down completely instead of putting it to sleep.
    Regards,
    Jay F.
    Product Manager

Comment

Hello JayF,
      I am the guy with the wife who Bill is trying to help. For the record the PC is up to date - Windows XP Pro with SP2 - I have auto update set to on, the PC's are kept up to date. I have tried turning off the screen savers, stopped the hibernation, all of the above. It has not changed anything. Furthermore when you save and close QCharts with the futures in place - the next time you open it the futures, will more often than not, will be gone. It doesn't matter how you save the charts nor does it matter if you do or do not turn off the PC. The net result is always the same, the futures are gone. My wife and I both have Dell Dimension 9150. The video cards are basically the same. I have taken the video cards out of my PC and placed them in my wife's PC and placed hers in my PC. I now have her video cards. She still loses her futures and I do not. The only other difference between our PC's is that I have 4 Dell monitors and my wife has 4 Samsung monitors.
      There has to be an actual solution to this, all the workarounds are not working...
      Thanks

Comment

Hello Again,
        Let me add a new development. On Thursday, July 19 my wife stopped using her PC and started using mine only. I have never, I repeat never, lost my Futures or any other chart. Today when my wife opened her workspace on my PC, as she has been doing since Thursday, her futures were gone. I stll have mine in my workspace. It kind of puts a hole in the PC is the problem theory, don't ya think....
        Thanks

Comment

Hey,
          Is it possible that your wife's workspace is corrupt?
          Can she try either using the "stock" RTP workspace or rebuilding hers from scratch? I know rebuilding is a LOT of work, but sometimes I see workspaces get corrupted.

Comment

Working...
          X