Newer Version and Efficient Session

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newer Version and Efficient Session

Thanks T and Lam for your excellent and prompt response. I have two more questions.

After I have installed the new version in its own folder, I believe I have to copy and paste into it my existing Workspaces and symbols. Anything else, like ContinumClient or Prefrences?

Re efficient session, I run only one chart, but I have several Quotesheets open (about 20), each one has a list of stocks and indices ranging from 10 to 50 symbols. Is this OK? Sometimes things run smoothly, but several times I click on a symbol in the Quotesheet and it takes 10-20 seconds for the chart to display.

Ahmed,

Regarding existing workspaces/symbols/layouts and the install of a new version, and speaking here about "continuum" versions of QCharts V4/V5, and not V6....
    There are several different ways to go here. These are just "files" and can be loaded from and saved to wherever one wishes.
    1. One can use the files from the old version in the new version by opening them from the old version folders.
    2. One could copy the contents of workspace/symbol/layout folders from the old version to the new version.
    3. One could create a common repository separate from the QCharts installs and use that for both/all versions. This is what I do. I have many many different versions of QCharts installed and have a folder on my Desktop that contains a single set of workspaces/symbols/layout files.
    In any event, with multiple versions installed, one has to be head's up regarding where the files are coming from and going to if updates are saved.
    You can save some reconfiguring and setting of preferences of your new install by copying the contents of the User folder.

With V6.0, after opening an existing workspace from V4 or V5, and adjusting the workspace as required due to possible symbology differences and fields not in V6 as yet, I suggest saving it as a different name indicating it's a V6 saved workspace and then using that tweaked workspace in the future for V6.

Regarding efficient session query...
    Delay in populating a chart can be the result of several different conditions.
    2a. The server that one is on is just busy, busy. I tend to wait a bit before bailing and going in search of another server since who's to say another isn't also busy, especially in periods when the market in general is experiencing a burst of volume, higher trade rates.
    2b. There's stormy weather on the I'net path twix you and the server causing delays
    2c. Your CPU is pegged.
    For tools to monitor I'net health and system load, see Essential Tools at www.qcsoftwarehelp.com .

A couple of comments regarding V6...
    From your description of your workspace, you will possibly run into a couple of issues right off.
    One would be symbol limits. For now we get 500 symbols, but at some point the symbol limits will be tiered, with more $ for more symbols.
    Another issue that you may have, even with your powerful box, is CPU pegging. Keep an eye on it via some form of monitor that displays a continuous readout of CPU Utilization. See Essential Tools for TaskInfo system monitor information.

LAM

Comment

Thanks Larry, I am not planning to upgrade to version 6 as of now.

How is 500 symbols are counted? Are they the sum of all symbols in the Quotesheet list that you see when you click on "Window", even they are not in the foreground display on the screen?

Do I have to copy my existing ContinumClient from existing to new version 5.1.0.21?

Comment

Thanks Larry, I am not planning to upgrade to version 6 as of now.
        Recommend that you go ahead an install it. Take it for a test drive. Get used to the differences. It won't impact your V4 or V5 production trading system. Sooner or later, you will have to use V6.
        How is 500 symbols are counted? Are they the sum of all symbols in the Quotesheet list that you see when you click on "Window", even they are not in the foreground display on the screen?
        Yes. Symbols in "minimized" quotesheets will be included in the symbol count. However, if the same symbol is in multiple quotesheets, and/or charts that would be a count of 1. For example, if you had one or two or three or more quotesheets, each with the Dow 30 syms, that would be a total symbol count of 30, whether or not the quotesheets are in focus, or minimized, or whatever.
        Do I have to copy my existing ContinumClient from existing to new version 5.1.0.21??
        oh, sorry. I'm so used to using QFAI, that handles passwords, that I spaced on that. Yes, copying in the ContinuumClient.INI server list file will save you from having to add the Password= keyword to the file that's supplied in the install. And of course, I recommend usage of QFAI .

LAM

Comment

DDE Download

Larry, I am finally going to upgrade from my 4.5 version. I was happy with it, but I understand there is now a deadline by 30 April to upgrade. Is this correct? Are we supposed to upgrade to 6.0 or 5.1 will do?

I went to the download page to download 5.1 and 6.0 and found there is a DDE file to download. Could you please tell me what is this for and what it does. Do I have to download for either 5.1 or 6.0 or only for 6.0? Where folder would I save it to?
          Thanks

Comment

Re: DDE Download

Hi Ahmed,

Regarding the April 30 date...
            That's about the ICE Futures exchange. Ya know...Cocoa, Coffee, Sugar 11, etc. Those symbols will no longer be in the regular QCharts feed for Version 5 (and also your 4.5) on either a realtime or delayed basis. One would have to use QCharts 6 to view those symbols. So, unless you need access to those symbols, you are still good to go using your 4.5.

Regarding "updating"....
            Version 6 installs into a different directory than 5.1(or your 4.5) using the 6.0 default install path. If you install 6.0, you can still use your 4.5. You can run either. You can run both concurrently if you have enough memory and cpu horsepower. I do recommend that you install 6.0 if for no other reason than to take a look at it, get used to it. Sooner or later the Continuum network servers (5.1 and your 4.5) will be discontinued. When this will be is up in the air right now. They are still working on getting the eSignal servers updated to support the final eventual version of 6.1 that will have the Breadthalizer data and extended intraday history data on the eSignal servers.

There is a recent change to the "Streaming Headline News viewer" function that requires moving to 5.1.0.22. If you need that, then yes you would need to upgrade your 4.5 to 5.1.0.22. If you don't use that function, they you're OK as is with 4.5. This has nothing to do with 6.0. You would simply install 5.1.0.22 into your 4.5 folder, or you could choose to leave your 4.5 intact and create a different unique folder to put 5.1.0.22 into.

The DDE file you mention is a new version of QLink that gets it's data from the eSignal servers. You would need QCharts 6.0 installed for that to work.

LAM
            Originally posted by Ahmed Elneweihi
            Larry, I am finally going to upgrade from my 4.5 version. I was happy with it, but I understand there is now a deadline by 30 April to upgrade. Is this correct? Are we supposed to upgrade to 6.0 or 5.1 will do?

I went to the download page to download 5.1 and 6.0 and found there is a DDE file to download. Could you please tell me what is this for and what it does. Do I have to download for either 5.1 or 6.0 or only for 6.0? Where folder would I save it to?
            Thanks

Comment

Workspace Saving In multiple Qchart Versions

Hi Larry, Thank you very much for your prompt reply, as usual. I am happy that I do not have to move to version 6 and I will not. I had a quick look at it and did not like it. But, I tried version 5.1.0.22 and somehow I like it. But, I have some questions for you.

I installed it as you previously suggested in a different folder, copied my workspaces, Continium, symbols, .. etc, from the 4.5 folder to the 5.1 folder. So, I ended with two folders "Quote.com/Qcharts" for version 4.5 and "Quote.com/Qcharts 5.1" for 5.1. What is strange is that when I save the workspace I use to the 5.1 folder (using Save As), I find it has also been saved to the 4.5 folder. Is there something wrong in the naming of my folders that result in this? Do I have to designate the workspace name as being 5.1 or 4.5 to be saved to the folder I want?

And last question, Is 5.1 version more stable than 4.5? Occasionally my 4.5 freezes and I have to end the session and restart. If 5.1 less prone to that, then it may be worth the switch. Thanks

Comment

Ahmed,

Regarding stability, only time will tell for you and your computer and your workspace. I have found 5.1.0.21 to be very stable given my box and workspaces over a long period of time. I can only assume that *.22 will be the same due to it's being advertised as the same as *21 but for a minor change for Streaming News.

Regarding saving workspaces, I've never experienced what you're describing, but as noted below I run a little differently.
                Try this...
                Set your View>Preferences>Workspaces tab to "Never remind" so that there will not be an Auto-save at close of QCharts. Also at the Workspaces tab, turn ON the "Show full path" option so you can see in the Title bar exactly where the workspace that's loaded came from.
                Also, when doing "Save As", in the dialog click the UP button first before the save to verify you are positioned where you really want to be, and then go back down for the save.

fwiw, since I have so many different versions installed, I maintain a separate workspace folder outside of any QCharts install folder. I use that as a common repository for all my installs. I keep workspaces and symbol lists and layout files there. I keep 5.1 and 6.0 wksp/sym/layout files in separate sub-folders. I have the folder on my Desktop, but it could be put anywhere one wishes.

Lastly, consider updating your 6.0 install to the latest version (6.0.2). I would create brand new workspaces for it. Simpler at first, and then more complex, noting the impact on your box as changes are made. Sooner or later, you will have to move to V6. There is a 6.0.3 coming in a bit that "should" have a higher level of processing efficiency, less CPU demand.

HTH,

LAM

Comment

Larry, I think I found what the problem could be (workspace saving). Because on starting the program, my default choice is "open the last workspace", version 4.5 or version 5 brings the latest saved workspace, whether it is in the 4.5 directory or the 5.1 directory (both would have the same name as I did not change their names to suit the version I am using). Then when I save it, it saves to where it came from, i.e., not necessarily to the workspace folder in its own directory. Does this make sense to you? If so, is there a solution?

Comment

Ahmed,

In the "Save Workspace As" dialog, you can save the workspace to wherever you wish by navigating to wherever you wish. Click the pulldown in the "Save in" box. Or the up button to see the folders under /Quote.com. Or create another folder altogether for a common repository for 5.1 and 4.5.

LAM

Comment

Working...
                    X