What phone best for Qcharts viewing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What phone best for Qcharts viewing?

I can't have Qcharts on my computer at work, and I cant seem to really find out what I need to know about the PDA/Smartphones enough to tell which one would be best for using my Qcharts plus. Are there any traders out there who can recommend a specific Treo or Blackberry that has worked well for them for using Qcharts? Any advice would be great! Thanks.

Hey Andy,

You can use any modern smartphone that allows remote control of your desktop because QC won't run on a phone natively. In other words, with a Treo 650 (Palm software) you can use WinHand to connect to your home PC which would have QCharts running on it. With the Treo, you can control the home PC and see the screen contents. Any phone that can run Windows or Palm will allow you to connect to QC at home.

I bypassed all that and bought a laptop and a Sprint AirCard to connect from work (or anywhere for that matter!). It works like a charm and I can connect from most anywhere that Sprint has a cell tower. ATT, Nextel, Verizon all sell AirCards. THe challenge with the laptop is to keep my workspaces somewhat in sync. At home I use 4 monitors so workspaces don't work well on the laptop; I am always resizing windows and exporting quote sheets and layouts, etc. But it works great for me.

Another option (if your work hasn't blocked it) is GoToMyPC. Using their service, you can connect to your home PC and control it as if you were there at home.

Good luck,
    T

Comment

QCharts won't work on a phone.... but you can use QuoTrek

You can get more information at http://www.quotrek.com

The BlackBerry Curve is very good and it's compatible with QuoTrek

Comment

Hey wireless guru,

According to the Live Help representative from eSignal (Joe B.), QuoTrek pricing is not beneficial to QCharts subscribers. We would have to pay the exchange fees again as well as the full price for the data feed. If, however, we are eSignal subscribers, the exchange fees are covered in the eSignal subscription and we only pay half the fee for the service.

I would consider QuoTrek if eSignal can make the pricing more fair for QCharts users/subscribers.

It is interesting that we QCharts users are being migrated to eSignal feed but we are not offered the same benefits as eSignal subscribers... like being a second class citizen!

Oh and according to the website, the Blackberry and windows mobile devices do not display studies on the charts. I must have studies.

FWIW,
        T

Comment

Hi Tom,

Thanks for posting that. I'm afraid you received erroneous info on that (I'll chat with Joe to make sure he has the correct info.) The QuoTrek add-on is available for QCharts users to take advantage of not having to pay for exchange fees twice and for the lower month rate at USD$25/mo. (vs. $50)

This can be added through a sales rep, customer service or Account Maintenance.
          Regards,
          Jay F.
          Product Manager

Comment

Hey Jay! Thanks for that! I was bummed when he told me that on the chat just now. I will look into QuoTrek.

Thanks for the correction! I'm feeling like a first class citizen again!
            T

Comment

QuoTrek?

So the only way to use qcharts through a phone is to pay the extra 25 a month and get Quotrek? I am only 22 and going broke already with my 160 a month Qcharts, and soon to be the $80 a month phone plan (after unlimited cingular internet). Does anyone know if the new cingular 3G network is better than the old connection?

Comment

Hey Andy,

If you get the phone and you already have QCharts on a computer, then you can use a remote desktop feature (generically speaking) to have your phone connect securely with your home computer and then you can have QCharts on your phone.

Doing it this way, you can make the connection from your phone to your desktop where you fire up the remote desktop and control your home PC from your phone. This is the only way I know of to actually have QCharts on a phone. QuoTrek is not QCharts, but it is a charting and quote application that can be run on a phone and receive data from eSignal. It certainly is not as powerful as QCharts. What I proposed (above and in a posting below) is a way to connect to your PC to run and operate QCharts (and any other program you run on your home PC) and avoid the cost of another data feed or connection service. Since you are running QCharts on your PC, you do not lose any performance or features that you have while you are at home.

It may take some tweaking to get it all to work, but it is doable. Google "palm remote desktop phone" or something similar to find applications for the Palm OS phones.

Can't answer the 3G question. I use Sprint for my AirCard, but Cingular for my phone so I would be interested in an answer also.

Later,
                T

Comment

Qcharts on phone

Thanks so much Tom, youve been a big help. I will not use anything but Qcharts Plus, so the info about QuoTrek was very helpful. Ive opted for a Treo, so we'll see how it all works out!

Comment

I use www.logmein.com which is free for "view only" to remote console (from a Windows Mobile 5.0/6.0) to a multi monitor system running qcharts 5.x. this works great. Phone is the xv-6700 from verizon with the data plan. This service (logmein.com) allows remote control from any computer or Windows Mobile Pocket PC (the ones that have a touch screen) with https access to their site (so is usually work firewall friendly). A service runs on your qcharts computer and doesn't require any complicated setup other then installing it.

Comment

Working...
                    X