Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gold Futures Symbol

Hey,
    I am trying to fugure out the correct symbol for Nov Gold futures. At Quote.com it says to use ZG Z7. But that isnt recognized by Qcharts 5.1. Any idea what I am doing incorrectly?

thanks
    Jason

Jason
    The symbol for the November contract is EA07X and for the December contract is EA07Z
    Alex

Comment

Thanks

Thanks Alexis,
      How did you find that symbol. Woould like to be able to find them for myself in the future. You know, the whole "teach a man to fish" thing.....

Thanks
      Jason

Comment

Jason
        You are most welcome.
        The symbol is not listed in the Commodity Futures page of the Quote Symbol Guide (which you can access by selecting Help-> QCharts KnowledgeBase) however I had found it a while back by running a Search in the QCharts forum for the keyword gold (I believe that it was originally mentioned by Larry Marchman)
        Alex

Comment

Doh!

Alexis, you are too poilite. I should have done a forum search. I found where you answered the same question 2 months ago. Ouch..

Thanks again!

Comment

Hey Jason,

A couple of comments if I may in addition to those so kindly provided by Alex....

The Quote.com site you initially mentioned returns eSignal syms, ya know, syms for QCharts 6.0. This can possibly be helpful if you know that, for example, "ES Z7" in eSignal is the same root as in QCharts 5.1, but the format in 5.1 is <root><year><month>...ES07Z.
            This specific KB article may be helpful.
            http://kb.esignalcentral.com/article...icle=3062&p=25

There are certain syms though in 5.1 that are just flat out different than eSignal and/or what an Exchange says. There is a XLS document at the QCharts YahooGroups Files area that Esteban, a fellow user, put together once upon a time that lists most of the Futures and also highlights the quirky differences. For example the CME Russell 2000 emini is ER2 at CME, MR in 5.1, and AB in eSignal.
            Assuming you have access to YahooGroups, go to this link...
            http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/qcharts/files/
            and look for file....
            QC-FutSymbols01-06.xls

psstttt.....Esteban, you lurking around this forum? If so, ya wanna put your file up at eSignal Files area? If so, I have a couple or three updates for your file. PM me, please.

Jason...
            The front month of Gold is currently December. The Volume will tell that. Also there are other Gold syms, fwiw. See screenshot.

LAM
            Attached Files

Comment

File Not found.

Larry,
              Now I get it! I can do the translations now, if they translate directly as your example indicates. But I am just tracking a few so I should be able to figure it out. I did go to the Yahoo Groups fourm to get the xls file you referenced. I guess the post is so old the file has been deleted. I get a "Page not found" error when I click the link. If Esteban posts the file here I will get it then.
              Thanks again for the help!

jwh

Comment

Well...hmmm.

I just clicked on the link for YahooGroups in my post, That brought up the Files area page OK. And Estebans file is there, alive and well. Did you even get to the Files area page? Did you get the Enter ID/PW login page if haven't been there in a while? If you got the Files area page, then try r-click>SaveAs on the XLS.

LAM
                Attached Files

Comment

Oh well

Larry,
                  I think my brain must be fried. I was trying to open the file as opposed to saving it to disk. As soon as I did that I was able to save and then open the file. 0-2 for me tonight. I think I might take the day off from trading tomorrow. I don't think I can be trusted to execute an order properly....

Thanks for the help ( and patience).

jwh

Comment

Understand completely.
                    Trust me, that's nuttin' compared to some world class bone-head moves I've made lately.

LAM

Comment

Working...
                    X